PDA

View Full Version : Which Processor

JF
January 11th 06, 12:36 AM
I am looking to build a new system and plan to base it around an AMD
processor. I was looking for a barton core AthlonXP but these are quite
difficult to get. I was thinking 64bit, but decided against it. I was
going for Sempron 2.5-3.0ghz. However I spotted Sempron's with 64bit.
How would these perform in Windows XP, I have a copy of Windows XP 64
bit but have been told that this OS, has probs with drivers and
compatibility with programs. Is it worth paying extra for the 64bit or
should I just use an ordinary Sempron. I mostly do routine stuff,
nothing too fancy, with the odd game here and there and a very small
amout of Digital camera to DVD editing.

Thanks
John

John Weiss
January 11th 06, 02:30 AM
"JF" > wrote...
>I am looking to build a new system and plan to base it around an AMD processor.
>I was looking for a barton core AthlonXP but these are quite difficult to get.
>I was thinking 64bit, but decided against it. I was going for Sempron
>2.5-3.0ghz. However I spotted Sempron's with 64bit. How would these perform in
>Windows XP, I have a copy of Windows XP 64 bit but have been told that this OS,
>has probs with drivers and compatibility with programs.

With AMD CPUs, you can still use 32-bit Windows without any performance
degradation, unlike the early Intel offerings.

Go with the A64 or Sempron of your choice, and stick with 32-bit XP Pro until
the 64-bit version is ready for prime time.

JF
January 11th 06, 11:39 AM
John Weiss wrote:
> "JF" > wrote...
>
>>I am looking to build a new system and plan to base it around an AMD processor.
>>I was looking for a barton core AthlonXP but these are quite difficult to get.
>>I was thinking 64bit, but decided against it. I was going for Sempron
>>2.5-3.0ghz. However I spotted Sempron's with 64bit. How would these perform in
>>Windows XP, I have a copy of Windows XP 64 bit but have been told that this OS,
>>has probs with drivers and compatibility with programs.
>

> With AMD CPUs, you can still use 32-bit Windows without any performance
> degradation, unlike the early Intel offerings.
>
> Go with the A64 or Sempron of your choice, and stick with 32-bit XP Pro until
> the 64-bit version is ready for prime time.

Ok Thanks

John

Toshi1873
January 13th 06, 06:11 PM
Yes, there's not many reasons not to buy a 64bit CPU. I've been running
WinXP (32bit) on Opterons for a while now with no issues. The larger
cache size is nice as is the better performance.

AMD really did it right. Good 32bit performance with upgrade potential
to 64bit. Very smart move on their part. Makes it almost zero-risk to
the end-user to start in on the 64bit systems.

JF
January 14th 06, 11:32 AM
Toshi1873 wrote:
> Yes, there's not many reasons not to buy a 64bit CPU. I've been running
> WinXP (32bit) on Opterons for a while now with no issues. The larger
> cache size is nice as is the better performance.
>
> AMD really did it right. Good 32bit performance with upgrade potential
> to 64bit. Very smart move on their part. Makes it almost zero-risk to
> the end-user to start in on the 64bit systems.

I've decided to go with this processor

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=94647

Wes Newell
January 14th 06, 08:03 PM
On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 10:32:28 +0000, JF wrote:

> I've decided to go with this processor
>
> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=94647

That's about the equivilent of a A64 2600+. Get the right MB and ram and
you should be able to clock it up to 2400MHz easily (9x266).