PDA

View Full Version : GA-7VM400M; Have to keep hitting reset to start...

Spearmaster
January 10th 06, 09:37 PM
A friend brought me his computer to see if I could make it start correctly.
When you first turn it on, it starts a steady beeping (2 seconds on, 2
seconds off). If you keep hitting reset, it will finally stop beeping, then
a few seconds later a single beep, the video turns on & all is well & it
runs perfectly until you shut it off or reboot (warm or cold boot is the
same). Sometimes it only takes 3 or 4 hits of the reset switch, but
sometimes it will take 50 or 60 hits which is a real PITA. This has an AMD
XP 2000, 512M of DDR PC2100 Ram and I have upgraded all of the drivers and
the BIOS from the mother ship, but no difference. I have set the SW2 jumper
to 100Mhz FSB 'safe mode' and that made it much better for a while, but now
it seems to be taking a long time again. Anybody ever heard of this
silliness?

TIA

Jonno
February 8th 06, 11:52 AM
Spearmaster wrote:
> A friend brought me his computer to see if I could make it start correctly.
> When you first turn it on, it starts a steady beeping (2 seconds on, 2
> seconds off). If you keep hitting reset, it will finally stop beeping, then
> a few seconds later a single beep, the video turns on & all is well & it
> runs perfectly until you shut it off or reboot (warm or cold boot is the
> same). Sometimes it only takes 3 or 4 hits of the reset switch, but
> sometimes it will take 50 or 60 hits which is a real PITA. This has an AMD
> XP 2000, 512M of DDR PC2100 Ram and I have upgraded all of the drivers and
> the BIOS from the mother ship, but no difference. I have set the SW2 jumper
> to 100Mhz FSB 'safe mode' and that made it much better for a while, but now
> it seems to be taking a long time again. Anybody ever heard of this
> silliness?
>
> TIA

Try another video card, and see if it makes a difference...
Has it always been like this?