PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Changing RAM

January 10th 06, 09:26 AM
I am trying to upgrademy machine from 1 GB (2x512 sticks) to 3 GB
(3x1024).
The motherboard is a K8NS Pro. Each stick is DDR 1GB, 400MHz, CL3.
So, here's the situation. When I install just a single GB stick and
power up, it boots. I've tried with each stick and it works. However,
when I power down and add a second stick of 1 GB, When I power up it
gets stuck on the "DualBIOS" entry screen and it says 2094802
(whatever, 2 GB) Memory Testing: OK. BUt it just freezes there. When
I try to hit Del to enter setup mode, I get nothing.
Finally, when all three 1GB sticks are in and I power up, it won't
boot, the screen remains black and this beeping sound happens ever 3 or
4 seconds. And, of course, when I put my original RAM back in, it all
works fine.
Is this possibly a voltage problem? It seems strange to me that each
stick works on its own but when used in tandem nothing works. Thanks
for your help.

Mal
January 10th 06, 12:27 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I am trying to upgrademy machine from 1 GB (2x512 sticks) to 3 GB
> (3x1024).
> The motherboard is a K8NS Pro. Each stick is DDR 1GB, 400MHz, CL3.
> So, here's the situation. When I install just a single GB stick and
> power up, it boots. I've tried with each stick and it works. However,
> when I power down and add a second stick of 1 GB, When I power up it
> gets stuck on the "DualBIOS" entry screen and it says 2094802
> (whatever, 2 GB) Memory Testing: OK. BUt it just freezes there. When
> I try to hit Del to enter setup mode, I get nothing.
> Finally, when all three 1GB sticks are in and I power up, it won't
> boot, the screen remains black and this beeping sound happens ever 3 or
> 4 seconds. And, of course, when I put my original RAM back in, it all
> works fine.
> Is this possibly a voltage problem? It seems strange to me that each
> stick works on its own but when used in tandem nothing works. Thanks
> for your help.

Have you tried a single stick in each of the sockets? ... wondering if
there's a problem with one of the sockets supporting the 1Gb dimms ... if
they all work separately in any of the sockets then it sounds like a
compatibility problem (I'm assuming the three dimms are all the same
brand/model) ... have you checked for/tried BIOS update?

Mal

old man
January 10th 06, 01:00 PM
Compatibility
Corsair lists PC3200 CL2 or CL2.5
If your mem.manu has any tech support they may give you the timeings etc you
can manually set in the bios

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I am trying to upgrademy machine from 1 GB (2x512 sticks) to 3 GB
> (3x1024).
> The motherboard is a K8NS Pro. Each stick is DDR 1GB, 400MHz, CL3.
> So, here's the situation. When I install just a single GB stick and
> power up, it boots. I've tried with each stick and it works. However,
> when I power down and add a second stick of 1 GB, When I power up it
> gets stuck on the "DualBIOS" entry screen and it says 2094802
> (whatever, 2 GB) Memory Testing: OK. BUt it just freezes there. When
> I try to hit Del to enter setup mode, I get nothing.
> Finally, when all three 1GB sticks are in and I power up, it won't
> boot, the screen remains black and this beeping sound happens ever 3 or
> 4 seconds. And, of course, when I put my original RAM back in, it all
> works fine.
> Is this possibly a voltage problem? It seems strange to me that each
> stick works on its own but when used in tandem nothing works. Thanks
> for your help.

January 22nd 06, 10:11 PM
Try clearing the CMOS, I had similar issues yesterday and after clearing the
CMOS all worked fine.

Apparently the CMOS holds data OTHER than just the BIOS settings like case
latency for the RAM.

Fred

oups.com...