PDA

View Full Version : 6800 GS benchmark in Far Cry


johns
January 6th 06, 06:29 PM
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=830

I used the HardwareOC benchmarking tool for Far Cry to test a new
6800 GS 256 pci-e in a Dell Dimension 9100 with all the bells and
whistles, 1 gig ram, 160 gig sata. driver is 81.95. OS WinXP SP2.

Far Cry is fresh install and patched 1.3, 1.31, 1.33

Here are 3 Demo tests that I ran:

Demo: PC Games .. Pier level. Max detail. 1024x768. Default
shader. AA 4x. AF 1.

results: Ave FPS 53.41 and the graphics looked great

Demo: HardwareOC .. Archive level. Same default settings

results: Black walls, Black ceilings, artifacts and
primatives
on floor. Walls disappearing and see through.
Ave FPS 81.11

Demo: PC Games .. Pier level. Default settings except I enabled
HDR at level 1 ( lowest )

results: Horrible garrish reds and blues, and screen mostly
whited
out. Ave FPS 48.48

Finally, these results held visually when I mapped to the levels in the
actual game. The "outside environments" looked and played great. All
the "inside buildings environments" looked awful with black walls and
ceilings. See through walls. Disappearing walls. And when I dropped
the console and enabled HDR ( AA OFF ), I got weird psycho-dellic
colors. So .. got a clue ?? I sure don't.

johns

johns
January 6th 06, 07:13 PM
Oh yeah. I got banned at nv news for daring to criticize an nVidia
6800 GS. All of you run right out and buy this card. You are going
to really like it :-)

johns

Miltion
January 6th 06, 10:18 PM
Hpows it compare toa 7800 Gt ??


On 6 Jan 2006 10:13:52 -0800, "johns" > wrote:

>Oh yeah. I got banned at nv news for daring to criticize an nVidia
>6800 GS. All of you run right out and buy this card. You are going
>to really like it :-)
>
>johns

johns
January 6th 06, 11:34 PM
I have no idea, and I'm just kidding about buying a 6800 GS.
Don't misunderstand me. I think this 6800 GS is severely
crippled, and the commercial nVidia reviewers are ticked
that I am posting these crappy results about their new
POS video card. I stand by my tests. This card really
craps out when the going gets tough. And if you want to
see an even worse 6800, try one of the 128 meg cards.
It will give screen pauses at door openings of several
seconds. And it will cause screen stuttering every time
you move the view even just a little bit. Also, I just ran
the Archive benchmark again, with the details set to
MINIMUM. The benchmark ran fine with no black walls
or dropouts. Of course the graphics looked crappy, and
the water was a dull foggy blue. But who's being picky?

johns

Slick the Original
January 6th 06, 11:50 PM
"johns" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I have no idea, and I'm just kidding about buying a 6800 GS.
> Don't misunderstand me. I think this 6800 GS is severely
> crippled, and the commercial nVidia reviewers are ticked
> that I am posting these crappy results about their new
> POS video card. I stand by my tests. This card really
> craps out when the going gets tough. And if you want to
> see an even worse 6800, try one of the 128 meg cards.
> It will give screen pauses at door openings of several
> seconds. And it will cause screen stuttering every time
> you move the view even just a little bit. Also, I just ran
> the Archive benchmark again, with the details set to
> MINIMUM. The benchmark ran fine with no black walls
> or dropouts. Of course the graphics looked crappy, and
> the water was a dull foggy blue. But who's being picky?
>
> johns


I have a 6800GS with AMD 3500 and 1GB ram.
I score over 5700 in 3DMark 05.
I can play half life 2 at 1600x1200 with Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic
filtering on full.
Call of duty 2 (yes two) at 1024 x 768 with everything maxed out.
Need for Speed MW at 1280x1024 with everything on full.

I think this card is great value for £150 and I am chuffed to bits with its
performance.

SlicK

Peter
January 6th 06, 11:56 PM
I got the agp version but it only uped my gpu score from 7269 -8514 over my
6600gt I dont know if thats alot or not.

"Slick the Original" > wrote in
message ...
>
> "johns" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> I have no idea, and I'm just kidding about buying a 6800 GS.
>> Don't misunderstand me. I think this 6800 GS is severely
>> crippled, and the commercial nVidia reviewers are ticked
>> that I am posting these crappy results about their new
>> POS video card. I stand by my tests. This card really
>> craps out when the going gets tough. And if you want to
>> see an even worse 6800, try one of the 128 meg cards.
>> It will give screen pauses at door openings of several
>> seconds. And it will cause screen stuttering every time
>> you move the view even just a little bit. Also, I just ran
>> the Archive benchmark again, with the details set to
>> MINIMUM. The benchmark ran fine with no black walls
>> or dropouts. Of course the graphics looked crappy, and
>> the water was a dull foggy blue. But who's being picky?
>>
>> johns
>
>
> I have a 6800GS with AMD 3500 and 1GB ram.
> I score over 5700 in 3DMark 05.
> I can play half life 2 at 1600x1200 with Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic
> filtering on full.
> Call of duty 2 (yes two) at 1024 x 768 with everything maxed out.
> Need for Speed MW at 1280x1024 with everything on full.
>
> I think this card is great value for £150 and I am chuffed to bits with
> its
> performance.
>
> SlicK
>
>
>
>

Slick the Original
January 6th 06, 11:59 PM
"Peter" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I got the agp version but it only uped my gpu score from 7269 -8514 over
my
> 6600gt I dont know if thats alot or not.
>
> "Slick the Original" > wrote in
> message ...
> >
> > "johns" > wrote in message
> > ups.com...
> >> I have no idea, and I'm just kidding about buying a 6800 GS.
> >> Don't misunderstand me. I think this 6800 GS is severely
> >> crippled, and the commercial nVidia reviewers are ticked
> >> that I am posting these crappy results about their new
> >> POS video card. I stand by my tests. This card really
> >> craps out when the going gets tough. And if you want to
> >> see an even worse 6800, try one of the 128 meg cards.
> >> It will give screen pauses at door openings of several
> >> seconds. And it will cause screen stuttering every time
> >> you move the view even just a little bit. Also, I just ran
> >> the Archive benchmark again, with the details set to
> >> MINIMUM. The benchmark ran fine with no black walls
> >> or dropouts. Of course the graphics looked crappy, and
> >> the water was a dull foggy blue. But who's being picky?
> >>
> >> johns
> >
> >
> > I have a 6800GS with AMD 3500 and 1GB ram.
> > I score over 5700 in 3DMark 05.
> > I can play half life 2 at 1600x1200 with Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic
> > filtering on full.
> > Call of duty 2 (yes two) at 1024 x 768 with everything maxed out.
> > Need for Speed MW at 1280x1024 with everything on full.
> >
> > I think this card is great value for £150 and I am chuffed to bits with
> > its
> > performance.
> >
> > SlicK
> >
> >

PETER WROTE - I got the agp version but it only uped my gpu score from
7269 -8514
What CPU do you have?
What did you benchmark this in 03 or 05?

I had a 6600GT prior to this and scored 3800 in 3DMark 05 so my increase to
5700 was quite significant.

SlicK

johns
January 7th 06, 12:06 AM
And here we have a fibber-McGee. There's no way you are running
CoD2 at that rez with AA and AF maxed. You, sir, must work for
nVidia. Pay close attention to this hype fellers. They are trying to
sell you crap in a declining PC video market. That GS is a dog.

johns

johns
January 7th 06, 12:12 AM
It is not much at all. That is well withing the range of scores
depending
on what you have enabled in the background. Go to Start Run and run
MSconfig. Click Selective Startup and uncheck 1st. 2nd, and 4th boxes.
Go to Services tab, and check box "Hide all Windows..."
Reboot and run your benchmark !!!!! You WILL see a big difference.

Then try the Far Cry benchmark from HardwareOC and run the Archive
level with settings on Maximum. You'll see.

johns

Peter
January 7th 06, 01:07 AM
I have a 3200+ amd and 1g ram 754 pin I used the aquamark 3
you must have pci-e Dual channel memory?
card?

"johns" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=830
>
> I used the HardwareOC benchmarking tool for Far Cry to test a new
> 6800 GS 256 pci-e in a Dell Dimension 9100 with all the bells and
> whistles, 1 gig ram, 160 gig sata. driver is 81.95. OS WinXP SP2.
>
> Far Cry is fresh install and patched 1.3, 1.31, 1.33
>
> Here are 3 Demo tests that I ran:
>
> Demo: PC Games .. Pier level. Max detail. 1024x768. Default
> shader. AA 4x. AF 1.
>
> results: Ave FPS 53.41 and the graphics looked great
>
> Demo: HardwareOC .. Archive level. Same default settings
>
> results: Black walls, Black ceilings, artifacts and
> primatives
> on floor. Walls disappearing and see through.
> Ave FPS 81.11
>
> Demo: PC Games .. Pier level. Default settings except I enabled
> HDR at level 1 ( lowest )
>
> results: Horrible garrish reds and blues, and screen mostly
> whited
> out. Ave FPS 48.48
>
> Finally, these results held visually when I mapped to the levels in the
> actual game. The "outside environments" looked and played great. All
> the "inside buildings environments" looked awful with black walls and
> ceilings. See through walls. Disappearing walls. And when I dropped
> the console and enabled HDR ( AA OFF ), I got weird psycho-dellic
> colors. So .. got a clue ?? I sure don't.
>
> johns
>

johns
January 7th 06, 04:25 AM
I'm testing the pci-e card in a Dell Dimension 9100. P4/64 with 1 gig
ram
and hyperthreading. I think it is a good system. Certainly new.

johns

Slick the Original
January 7th 06, 12:48 PM
"johns" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> And here we have a fibber-McGee. There's no way you are running
> CoD2 at that rez with AA and AF maxed. You, sir, must work for
> nVidia. Pay close attention to this hype fellers. They are trying to
> sell you crap in a declining PC video market. That GS is a dog.
>
> johns

Why would I lie?
I have had 10 graphics cards over the past 8 years, of which
the only other NVidia one has been a GF3 - Ti500.

Ballistix memory at 2-2-2-6 1T plus a Gigabyte motherboard helps aswell!!!

SlicK

Inglo
January 8th 06, 09:12 AM
On 1/6/2006 9:29 AM johns brightened our day with:
> http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=830
>
> I used the HardwareOC benchmarking tool for Far Cry to test a new
> 6800 GS 256 pci-e in a Dell Dimension 9100 with all the bells and
> whistles, 1 gig ram, 160 gig sata. driver is 81.95. OS WinXP SP2.
>
> Far Cry is fresh install and patched 1.3, 1.31, 1.33
>
> Here are 3 Demo tests that I ran:
>
> Demo: PC Games .. Pier level. Max detail. 1024x768. Default
> shader. AA 4x. AF 1.
>
> results: Ave FPS 53.41 and the graphics looked great
>
> Demo: HardwareOC .. Archive level. Same default settings
>
> results: Black walls, Black ceilings, artifacts and
> primatives
> on floor. Walls disappearing and see through.
> Ave FPS 81.11
>
> Demo: PC Games .. Pier level. Default settings except I enabled
> HDR at level 1 ( lowest )
>
> results: Horrible garrish reds and blues, and screen mostly
> whited
> out. Ave FPS 48.48
>
> Finally, these results held visually when I mapped to the levels in the
> actual game. The "outside environments" looked and played great. All
> the "inside buildings environments" looked awful with black walls and
> ceilings. See through walls. Disappearing walls. And when I dropped
> the console and enabled HDR ( AA OFF ), I got weird psycho-dellic
> colors. So .. got a clue ?? I sure don't.
>
> johns
>
>
Far Cry was running fine for me, then I ran the Hardware OC benchmark
and now it's completely ****ed up. So I think the benchmark program
screwed up the game settings.
Far Cry ****es me off, it's a so-so fun game but every time I install it
it gets whacked out. I have said a half a dozen times that I was going
to uninstall it and never install it again. Hope this time I hold on
and don't get enticed by some new little added feature that I want to
check out.

--
"I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have
answers which might be wrong"

Richard P. Feynman

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

Peter
January 8th 06, 04:42 PM
You can run farcry on high with a p3 but the new features you often get with
the patches make it unplayable until you shut them off if your card cant
handle em.



"Inglo" <[email protected]??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
. net...
> On 1/6/2006 9:29 AM johns brightened our day with:
>> http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=830
>>
>> I used the HardwareOC benchmarking tool for Far Cry to test a new
>> 6800 GS 256 pci-e in a Dell Dimension 9100 with all the bells and
>> whistles, 1 gig ram, 160 gig sata. driver is 81.95. OS WinXP SP2.
>>
>> Far Cry is fresh install and patched 1.3, 1.31, 1.33
>>
>> Here are 3 Demo tests that I ran:
>>
>> Demo: PC Games .. Pier level. Max detail. 1024x768. Default
>> shader. AA 4x. AF 1.
>>
>> results: Ave FPS 53.41 and the graphics looked great
>>
>> Demo: HardwareOC .. Archive level. Same default settings
>>
>> results: Black walls, Black ceilings, artifacts and
>> primatives
>> on floor. Walls disappearing and see through.
>> Ave FPS 81.11
>>
>> Demo: PC Games .. Pier level. Default settings except I enabled
>> HDR at level 1 ( lowest )
>>
>> results: Horrible garrish reds and blues, and screen mostly
>> whited
>> out. Ave FPS 48.48
>>
>> Finally, these results held visually when I mapped to the levels in the
>> actual game. The "outside environments" looked and played great. All
>> the "inside buildings environments" looked awful with black walls and
>> ceilings. See through walls. Disappearing walls. And when I dropped
>> the console and enabled HDR ( AA OFF ), I got weird psycho-dellic
>> colors. So .. got a clue ?? I sure don't.
>>
>> johns
>>
>>
> Far Cry was running fine for me, then I ran the Hardware OC benchmark and
> now it's completely ****ed up. So I think the benchmark program screwed
> up the game settings.
> Far Cry ****es me off, it's a so-so fun game but every time I install it
> it gets whacked out. I have said a half a dozen times that I was going to
> uninstall it and never install it again. Hope this time I hold on and
> don't get enticed by some new little added feature that I want to check
> out.
>
> --
> "I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have
> answers which might be wrong"
>
> Richard P. Feynman
>
> Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
> www.inglostadt.com

johns
January 9th 06, 08:37 AM
You are right. If the OC Benchmark craps out, it will leave Far Cry
set to the settings that crash it. You have to run the Config Far Cry
and reset the game to what your system can handle. I've got
plenty of experience with that now with this dog of a 6800 GS.
The Benchmark will sack Far Cry if you push it. Kind of ticks me
that the 6800 GS advertises itself as a top end game card. It is
pretty much a middle of the road gamer, and works fine set to
lower levels.

johns

Sleepy
January 9th 06, 01:32 PM
"johns" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=830
>
> I used the HardwareOC benchmarking tool for Far Cry to test a new
> 6800 GS 256 pci-e in a Dell Dimension 9100 with all the bells and
> whistles, 1 gig ram, 160 gig sata. driver is 81.95. OS WinXP SP2.
>
> Far Cry is fresh install and patched 1.3, 1.31, 1.33
>
> Here are 3 Demo tests that I ran:
>
> Demo: PC Games .. Pier level. Max detail. 1024x768. Default
> shader. AA 4x. AF 1.
>
> results: Ave FPS 53.41 and the graphics looked great
>
> Demo: HardwareOC .. Archive level. Same default settings
>
> results: Black walls, Black ceilings, artifacts and
> primatives
> on floor. Walls disappearing and see through.
> Ave FPS 81.11
>
> Demo: PC Games .. Pier level. Default settings except I enabled
> HDR at level 1 ( lowest )
>
> results: Horrible garrish reds and blues, and screen mostly
> whited
> out. Ave FPS 48.48
>
> Finally, these results held visually when I mapped to the levels in the
> actual game. The "outside environments" looked and played great. All
> the "inside buildings environments" looked awful with black walls and
> ceilings. See through walls. Disappearing walls. And when I dropped
> the console and enabled HDR ( AA OFF ), I got weird psycho-dellic
> colors. So .. got a clue ?? I sure don't.
>
> johns
>
how about using the auto detect settings? what settings are recommended and
how does it play? it seems me that some ppl buy a new card and whack the
settings up and expect miracles.

johns
January 9th 06, 06:47 PM
This card auto-detects all LOW. I don't think the game recognizes
it at all. I've found that the game plays so-so if I manually put
the settings to mostly High with Texture and Particles Medium.
That is the best it can do. It looks pretty good that way, but
those settings cut the AI back somewhat ... and known stuff
is missing. My ATI 9800 Pro plays the game at a much higher
level, both video and AI.

johns

whatever
January 23rd 06, 03:09 AM
On 9 Jan 2006 09:47:44 -0800, "johns" > wrote:

>This card auto-detects all LOW. I don't think the game recognizes
>it at all. I've found that the game plays so-so if I manually put
>the settings to mostly High with Texture and Particles Medium.
>That is the best it can do. It looks pretty good that way, but
>those settings cut the AI back somewhat ... and known stuff
>is missing. My ATI 9800 Pro plays the game at a much higher
>level, both video and AI.
>
>johns

My ATI 9800 Pro 128mb gives 40 fps in Doom3 at 1024x768 HQ settings.
My 6800gs 256mb gets 110 fps at those settings, its 3 times as fast. I
think Dell is crap and could be your problem.