PDA

View Full Version : ATI-based mobo isn't compatible with a nVidia graphics card?

Brian Kendig
January 4th 06, 02:51 AM
I posted here recently about a problem I was having: on my new MSI
RS480M2-IL motherboard (based on the ATI Xpress 200 chipset), my new
MSI NX6600-TD256E (GeForce 6600) video card is hanging after a few
minutes of playing a 3D game. I contacted MSI tech support about the
problem, and this was their response:

"This is normal since the on board ATI chipset does not like any Nvidia
chipset based video cards. You can use ATI video cards (PCI-E) or
change to different mb with different chipset. This is an unofficial
problem for ATI chipset on the mb and not caused by MSI."

My question is: is this tech blowing smoke, or is this a real
incompatibility? Do ATI-based motherboards really have a known problem
with nVidia-based graphics cards?

First of One
January 4th 06, 04:54 AM
Interestingly, Googling for this particular mobo/vid card combination
doesn't yield many results.

You did disable the onboard video through BIOS, right? And turn on "assign
IRQ to VGA" or something that effect.

"Brian Kendig" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I posted here recently about a problem I was having: on my new MSI
> RS480M2-IL motherboard (based on the ATI Xpress 200 chipset), my new
> MSI NX6600-TD256E (GeForce 6600) video card is hanging after a few
> minutes of playing a 3D game. I contacted MSI tech support about the
> problem, and this was their response:
>
> "This is normal since the on board ATI chipset does not like any Nvidia
> chipset based video cards. You can use ATI video cards (PCI-E) or
> change to different mb with different chipset. This is an unofficial
> problem for ATI chipset on the mb and not caused by MSI."
>
> My question is: is this tech blowing smoke, or is this a real
> incompatibility? Do ATI-based motherboards really have a known problem
> with nVidia-based graphics cards?

Bob Knowlden
January 4th 06, 04:57 AM
I don't own such a board, but my instinctive reaction is: bull****.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2617

This is a review of the Asus A8R-MVP board. It's not identical to the MSI
board by any means, but it uses the Xpress 200 Crossfire northbridge. One of
the graphics cards in the test was a 7800GTX. That ought to have stressed
things a bit.

A little Googling found a test of a different make of nVidia 6600 card on
your mainboard:

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/xfx_geforce_6600_ddr2/index.shtml

I can't guess why the MSI tech would give you such a line. I suppose that it
would get rid of you for a while, and maybe the problem would go away when
you installed new graphics drivers.

"Brian Kendig" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I posted here recently about a problem I was having: on my new MSI
> RS480M2-IL motherboard (based on the ATI Xpress 200 chipset), my new
> MSI NX6600-TD256E (GeForce 6600) video card is hanging after a few
> minutes of playing a 3D game. I contacted MSI tech support about the
> problem, and this was their response:
>
> "This is normal since the on board ATI chipset does not like any Nvidia
> chipset based video cards. You can use ATI video cards (PCI-E) or
> change to different mb with different chipset. This is an unofficial
> problem for ATI chipset on the mb and not caused by MSI."
>
> My question is: is this tech blowing smoke, or is this a real
> incompatibility? Do ATI-based motherboards really have a known problem
> with nVidia-based graphics cards?

Brian Kendig
January 4th 06, 06:46 AM
Just a followup: turns out the tech was *right!* I've been searching
for more info on this problem, and it appears that at least one of the
ATI-based motherboards from MSI isn't compatible with nVidia graphics
cards. I found many threads on their discussion board about it; one's
at 'http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=88430.0'.

Possible workarounds are to use an old rev of the nVidia drivers, or to
RMA the board and get a later revision instead. I haven't heard yet
whether either of these are solutions, but I'm continuing to research.

Bob Knowlden
January 5th 06, 03:13 AM
Those postings hardly look authoritative to me, but I'm mostly put off by
the childish English. (If the writers aren't native English speakers, I
apologize.)

Maybe the tech was correct, but it'd be sad if such a mainstream graphics
card had trouble with your mainboard.

Good luck.

ps.com...