PDA

View Full Version : Problem installing nVidia AGP card

Greg Doud
December 30th 05, 04:18 PM
Here is my system:

* Athlon XP 2000+ cpu (no overclocking)
* MSI K7N2G-ILSR mobo (all mainboard drivers are current)
** 1GB RAM
** 2 x 80GB IDE HD
** 2 x IDE CD drives
** BIOS updated
* Windows XP Pro (sp2 and all updates applied)

I'm using the on-board graphics using the default BIOS settings. The
system has been stable for over two years in this configuration.

Recently, I got into digital photos and bought a new GeForce 5500 256MB

AGP 4x/8x card to upgrade the graphics (I have already returned a new
GeForce 5200 128MB card that had the same problem). My problem is that
when the
card is installed, the system is very unstable. It either reboots
unexpectedly or completely freezes up (though there is no heat problem
with CPU around 40C.) I have disabled the BIOS settings for AGP 8X and

FastWrite, but have everything else set to normal.

When I installed it, I first uninstalled the video drivers for the
integrated graphics. Then I shut the PC down, installed the card, and
restarted the PC. The BIOS recognised the new graphics card
automatically and Windows came up OK. I installed the new video card
drivers that I downloaded from Nvidia and things seemed to be OK. I
restarted the system, but it would sometimes get an error during the
reboot and restart or it would boot into Windows but restart right
after login (my configuration says to restart on a system error). If I
remove the card and go back to integrated graphics, the system runs
fine. I've even reinstalled window xp from scratch with the card
installed but no luck. The bottom line (what an overused cliche!) is
that without the AGP card installed, the system is stable and runs
fine. With the card installed, the system is very unstable and
unusable.

I've read and posted to other newsgroups, but have not gotten any
response.

Can anyone help??? Thanks in advance...

Greg

The Black Wibble
December 30th 05, 08:54 PM
"Greg Doud" > wrote in message
[...]
> When I installed it, I first uninstalled the video drivers for the
> integrated graphics. Then I shut the PC down, installed the card, and
> restarted the PC. The BIOS recognised the new graphics card
> automatically and Windows came up OK. I installed the new video card
> drivers that I downloaded from Nvidia and things seemed to be OK. I
> restarted the system, but it would sometimes get an error during the
> reboot and restart or it would boot into Windows but restart right
> after login (my configuration says to restart on a system error). If I
> remove the card and go back to integrated graphics, the system runs
> fine. I've even reinstalled window xp from scratch with the card
> installed but no luck. The bottom line (what an overused cliche!) is
> that without the AGP card installed, the system is stable and runs
> fine. With the card installed, the system is very unstable and
> unusable.
>
> I've read and posted to other newsgroups, but have not gotten any
> response.
>
> Can anyone help??? Thanks in advance...
>
> Greg

Given this card is not overheating and is the second card you've tried, yet
produces the same results, my prime suspect is the PSU. Maybe it just can't
cope with any extra load being added to the system.
http://extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp. What are your PSU details,
including the total ampage on the +12V rail?

Tony.

Greg
December 31st 05, 01:05 AM
I just put a new 500W power supply that made no difference. Talked to the
mfg who said it is probably a defect in the motherboard.

Thanks anyway...

Greg

> Given this card is not overheating and is the second card you've tried,
> yet produces the same results, my prime suspect is the PSU. Maybe it just
> can't cope with any extra load being added to the system.
> http://extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp. What are your PSU details,
> including the total ampage on the +12V rail?
>
> Tony.

Peter
December 31st 05, 07:28 PM
did you disable onboard vid in bios or device manager shut off anti virus
when you install drivers bla bla

"Greg" > wrote in message
>I just put a new 500W power supply that made no difference. Talked to the
>mfg who said it is probably a defect in the motherboard.
>
> Thanks anyway...
>
> Greg
>
>> Given this card is not overheating and is the second card you've tried,
>> yet produces the same results, my prime suspect is the PSU. Maybe it
>> just can't cope with any extra load being added to the system.
>> http://extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp. What are your PSU details,
>> including the total ampage on the +12V rail?
>>
>> Tony.

Greg
January 1st 06, 05:39 AM
Check. Talked to tech support. It is probably a problem in the AGP slot.

Thanks anyway for your help...

Greg

news:[email protected]