PDA

View Full Version : Can't boot up computer with a XFX NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (AGP; 128 MB) when KVM is on the other computer.

December 30th 05, 05:47 AM
Hello!

Has anyone experienced this or know why this happens?

I recently installed a new XFX NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (128 MB; AGP;
BIOS v5.40.02.12.08). My computer's refurbished ASUS K8V SE Deluxe
(VIA K8T800 Socket 754 ATX; VIA VT8237 South Bridge; revision 2;
1007 Firmware) will not boot up (not even video card BIOS and
motherboard BIOS) if my Omni Cube 2-ports KVM box switch (PS/2 and
VGA is on the other computer (Linux/Debian box)? I get no beeps or
anything. I do hear the fans spin up. My Samsung SyncMaster 763 MB
CRT monitor's light reported no video signal feed either. Computer
just hangs. Its reset button doesn't work. So, I have to power off
the computer by holding the power button for five seconds or use
the power supply unit's switch. If I leave the KVM on this computer
and turn on the computer, then it will boot up just fine.

I never had this problem with previous video cards (ATI Radeon 9800
All-In-Wonder 128 MB AGP, GeForce2 and 4, etc.). You can read my
full computer setup on
http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt (primary
one is the one that has this problem). Is there something I missed
in CMOS or something?

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"An ant is a wise creature for itself, but it is a shrewd thing in an orchard or garden." --Francis Bacon
/\___/\
( )

Chuck
December 30th 05, 07:02 AM
I don't know how you are setup, but I did find out that some of the KVS
units can cause a problem with drivers that use data from the display. In my
case, the driver is happy, but utilities that can be used to "tweak" the
display do not work with my KVS unit.

> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> Has anyone experienced this or know why this happens?
>
> I recently installed a new XFX NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (128 MB; AGP;
> BIOS v5.40.02.12.08). My computer's refurbished ASUS K8V SE Deluxe
> (VIA K8T800 Socket 754 ATX; VIA VT8237 South Bridge; revision 2;
> 1007 Firmware) will not boot up (not even video card BIOS and
> motherboard BIOS) if my Omni Cube 2-ports KVM box switch (PS/2 and
> VGA is on the other computer (Linux/Debian box)? I get no beeps or
> anything. I do hear the fans spin up. My Samsung SyncMaster 763 MB
> CRT monitor's light reported no video signal feed either. Computer
> just hangs. Its reset button doesn't work. So, I have to power off
> the computer by holding the power button for five seconds or use
> the power supply unit's switch. If I leave the KVM on this computer
> and turn on the computer, then it will boot up just fine.
>
> I never had this problem with previous video cards (ATI Radeon 9800
> All-In-Wonder 128 MB AGP, GeForce2 and 4, etc.). You can read my
> full computer setup on
> http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt (primary
> one is the one that has this problem). Is there something I missed
> in CMOS or something?
>
> Thank you in advance. :)
> --
> "An ant is a wise creature for itself, but it is a shrewd thing in an
orchard or garden." --Francis Bacon
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
> | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
> \ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
> ( )

Jeremy Reaban
December 30th 05, 08:59 AM
> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> Has anyone experienced this or know why this happens?
>
> I recently installed a new XFX NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (128 MB; AGP;
> BIOS v5.40.02.12.08).
<snip>

Do you have all the extra power connectors plugged in? Some cards have an
extra molex connector or two that have to be plugged in. I dunno if the 6800
has one. But my 6600 GT has one. I think the 6800 GT has two.

Benjamin Gawert
December 30th 05, 12:03 PM
Jeremy Reaban schrieb:

> Do you have all the extra power connectors plugged in? Some cards have an
> extra molex connector or two that have to be plugged in. I dunno if the 6800
> has one. But my 6600 GT has one. I think the 6800 GT has two.

My PNY 6800GT AGP had one. Only the 6800U AGP has two of them...

Benjamin

December 30th 05, 03:43 PM
> > Has anyone experienced this or know why this happens?
> >
> > I recently installed a new XFX NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (128 MB; AGP;
> > BIOS v5.40.02.12.08).
> <snip>

> Do you have all the extra power connectors plugged in? Some cards have an
> extra molex connector or two that have to be plugged in. I dunno if the 6800
> has one. But my 6600 GT has one. I think the 6800 GT has two.

Yup. If it (one) wasn't hooked up, then the video card would give me that
annoying high pitch audio like a fire alarm. This wasn't the case.
--
"An ant is a wise creature for itself, but it is a shrewd thing in an orchard or garden." --Francis Bacon
/\___/\
( )

Neil J Bundy
December 30th 05, 06:32 PM
In message >,
writes
>Hello!
>
>Has anyone experienced this or know why this happens?
>
>I recently installed a new XFX NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (128 MB; AGP;
>BIOS v5.40.02.12.08). My computer's refurbished ASUS K8V SE Deluxe
>(VIA K8T800 Socket 754 ATX; VIA VT8237 South Bridge; revision 2;
>1007 Firmware) will not boot up (not even video card BIOS and
>motherboard BIOS) if my Omni Cube 2-ports KVM box switch (PS/2 and
>VGA is on the other computer (Linux/Debian box)? I get no beeps or
>anything. I do hear the fans spin up. My Samsung SyncMaster 763 MB
>CRT monitor's light reported no video signal feed either. Computer
>just hangs. Its reset button doesn't work. So, I have to power off
>the computer by holding the power button for five seconds or use
>the power supply unit's switch. If I leave the KVM on this computer
>and turn on the computer, then it will boot up just fine.
>
>I never had this problem with previous video cards (ATI Radeon 9800
>All-In-Wonder 128 MB AGP, GeForce2 and 4, etc.). You can read my
>full computer setup on
>http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt (primary
>one is the one that has this problem). Is there something I missed
>in CMOS or something?
>
>Thank you in advance. :)

We have a Scout KVM at work - don't know the model no but it's a 4-port
one (A/B/C/D green lights and a grey switch button) - if you boot a
computer with that KVM on another port, the computer fails to recognise
the Keyboard / Monitor / Mouse and doesn't boot properly, hanging
needing hard power down (power button 4 secs) to sort.

Conversely we have a Dell Digital KVM (16 port KVM over IP box - very
nice) and that's fine whether a box is set as onscreen or not.

Not all KVMs keep the connectors 'live' with capacitance etc. so the
computer can detect to see if things are connected to it. Strange, but
maybe some of the newer cards are smarter and tell the box "no monitor
connected so don't power up"? Not sure - maybe someone else may be able
to help.

Good luck,

Neil.

--
Neil J Bundy

December 30th 05, 07:52 PM
> >Has anyone experienced this or know why this happens?
> >
> >I recently installed a new XFX NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (128 MB; AGP;
> >BIOS v5.40.02.12.08). My computer's refurbished ASUS K8V SE Deluxe
> >(VIA K8T800 Socket 754 ATX; VIA VT8237 South Bridge; revision 2;
> >1007 Firmware) will not boot up (not even video card BIOS and
> >motherboard BIOS) if my Omni Cube 2-ports KVM box switch (PS/2 and
> >VGA is on the other computer (Linux/Debian box)? I get no beeps or
> >anything. I do hear the fans spin up. My Samsung SyncMaster 763 MB
> >CRT monitor's light reported no video signal feed either. Computer
> >just hangs. Its reset button doesn't work. So, I have to power off
> >the computer by holding the power button for five seconds or use
> >the power supply unit's switch. If I leave the KVM on this computer
> >and turn on the computer, then it will boot up just fine.
> >
> >I never had this problem with previous video cards (ATI Radeon 9800
> >All-In-Wonder 128 MB AGP, GeForce2 and 4, etc.). You can read my
> >full computer setup on
> >http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt (primary
> >one is the one that has this problem). Is there something I missed
> >in CMOS or something?
> >
> >Thank you in advance. :)

> We have a Scout KVM at work - don't know the model no but it's a 4-port
> one (A/B/C/D green lights and a grey switch button) - if you boot a
> computer with that KVM on another port, the computer fails to recognise
> the Keyboard / Monitor / Mouse and doesn't boot properly, hanging
> needing hard power down (power button 4 secs) to sort.

> Conversely we have a Dell Digital KVM (16 port KVM over IP box - very
> nice) and that's fine whether a box is set as onscreen or not.

> Not all KVMs keep the connectors 'live' with capacitance etc. so the
> computer can detect to see if things are connected to it. Strange, but
> maybe some of the newer cards are smarter and tell the box "no monitor
> connected so don't power up"? Not sure - maybe someone else may be able
> to help.

So, this is normal from your past experiences. Interesting. I had this
KVM switch box for a long time (since 2000). And never had this before.
--
"An ant is a wise creature for itself, but it is a shrewd thing in an orchard or garden." --Francis Bacon
/\___/\
( )

renoman
December 31st 05, 12:50 AM
I am having the EXACT same problem with a new GeForce 6600 and also have a
Samsung SyncMaster monitor. I turn on the computer and the fans turn on but
that's as far as it gets. There is no signal to the moniter. I also have to
hold the power off button to shut down. I am wondering if the problem isn't
in the power supply or lack of it. How many watts is your power supply?

> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> Has anyone experienced this or know why this happens?
>
> I recently installed a new XFX NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (128 MB; AGP;
> BIOS v5.40.02.12.08). My computer's refurbished ASUS K8V SE Deluxe
> (VIA K8T800 Socket 754 ATX; VIA VT8237 South Bridge; revision 2;
> 1007 Firmware) will not boot up (not even video card BIOS and
> motherboard BIOS) if my Omni Cube 2-ports KVM box switch (PS/2 and
> VGA is on the other computer (Linux/Debian box)? I get no beeps or
> anything. I do hear the fans spin up. My Samsung SyncMaster 763 MB
> CRT monitor's light reported no video signal feed either. Computer
> just hangs. Its reset button doesn't work. So, I have to power off
> the computer by holding the power button for five seconds or use
> the power supply unit's switch. If I leave the KVM on this computer
> and turn on the computer, then it will boot up just fine.
>
> I never had this problem with previous video cards (ATI Radeon 9800
> All-In-Wonder 128 MB AGP, GeForce2 and 4, etc.). You can read my
> full computer setup on
> http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt (primary
> one is the one that has this problem). Is there something I missed
> in CMOS or something?
>
> Thank you in advance. :)
> --
> "An ant is a wise creature for itself, but it is a shrewd thing in an
> orchard or garden." --Francis Bacon
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
> | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
> \ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
> ( )

December 31st 05, 04:28 AM
What's KVS? And how are drivers affected? I haven't even gotten to
OS boot up! It is just the motherboard not showing me anything (no
video signal).

--
"An ant is a wise creature for itself, but it is a shrewd thing in an orchard or garden." --Francis Bacon
/\___/\
( )

December 31st 05, 04:33 AM
renoman > wrote:
> I am having the EXACT same problem with a new GeForce 6600 and also have a
> Samsung SyncMaster monitor. I turn on the computer and the fans turn on but
> that's as far as it gets. There is no signal to the moniter. I also have to
> hold the power off button to shut down. I am wondering if the problem isn't
> in the power supply or lack of it. How many watts is your power supply?

See my link below. 450 watts. ;) So you have this problem with KVM switch
or without? Which SyncMaster monitor is this? Same as mine?

--
"An ant is a wise creature for itself, but it is a shrewd thing in an orchard or garden." --Francis Bacon
/\___/\
( )

renoman
December 31st 05, 05:09 AM
I have this problem without the KVM switch and I am using a SyncMaster
960bf. The old GeForce MX200 card works fine. I just can't get the new one
to work at all. Was going to replace my power supply but don't want to if I
don't have to.

> wrote in message
> renoman > wrote:
>> I am having the EXACT same problem with a new GeForce 6600 and also have
>> Samsung SyncMaster monitor. I turn on the computer and the fans turn on
>> but
>> that's as far as it gets. There is no signal to the moniter. I also have
>> hold the power off button to shut down. I am wondering if the problem
>> isn't
>> in the power supply or lack of it. How many watts is your power supply?
>
> See my link below. 450 watts. ;) So you have this problem with KVM switch
> or without? Which SyncMaster monitor is this? Same as mine?
>

>> > wrote in message
>> > Hello!
>> >
>> > Has anyone experienced this or know why this happens?
>> >
>> > I recently installed a new XFX NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (128 MB; AGP;
>> > BIOS v5.40.02.12.08). My computer's refurbished ASUS K8V SE Deluxe
>> > (VIA K8T800 Socket 754 ATX; VIA VT8237 South Bridge; revision 2;
>> > 1007 Firmware) will not boot up (not even video card BIOS and
>> > motherboard BIOS) if my Omni Cube 2-ports KVM box switch (PS/2 and
>> > VGA is on the other computer (Linux/Debian box)? I get no beeps or
>> > anything. I do hear the fans spin up. My Samsung SyncMaster 763 MB
>> > CRT monitor's light reported no video signal feed either. Computer
>> > just hangs. Its reset button doesn't work. So, I have to power off
>> > the computer by holding the power button for five seconds or use
>> > the power supply unit's switch. If I leave the KVM on this computer
>> > and turn on the computer, then it will boot up just fine.
>> >
>> > I never had this problem with previous video cards (ATI Radeon 9800
>> > All-In-Wonder 128 MB AGP, GeForce2 and 4, etc.). You can read my
>> > full computer setup on
>> > http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt (primary
>> > one is the one that has this problem). Is there something I missed
>> > in CMOS or something?
>> >
>> > Thank you in advance. :)
> --
> "An ant is a wise creature for itself, but it is a shrewd thing in an
> orchard or garden." --Francis Bacon
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
> | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
> \ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
> ( )

January 1st 06, 05:43 AM
Interesting! Something else I noticed. If I reboot with KVM on another
computer after the computer booted up successfully, then it is fine. It seems
like it only happens during boot up after long downtimes.

Someone told me to upgrade the video BIOS. I am a bit scared to try that.
Also, I didn't see one on XFX's Web site. :(

--
"An ant is a wise creature for itself, but it is a shrewd thing in an orchard or garden." --Francis Bacon
/\___/\
( )

Neil J Bundy
January 1st 06, 02:53 PM
Hmmm - check your internal devicesd aren't all connectrd to the same
power spur on your PSU - spread them out a bit. Sounds like there's not
enough current at startup to charge the capacitors on the GF6600GT. Put
the graphics card on a different spur and see what happens.

Neil.

In message >,
writes

--
Neil J Bundy

renoman
January 1st 06, 08:39 PM
After about 20 hrs of trying to get this card to work and reading hundreds
of posts on various forums I have decided that this card is going back. It
is either a bum card or totaly incompatable with my system. I have bought a
new power supply, played with my memory, unplugged all cards and devices
except the card and HD and still just a blank black screen for about 4
minutes and then the Mother Board splash screen and into "setup". When I
exit from setup the monitor goes to sleep and doesn't wake up. There are
alot of posts from people having similar trouble with this card and I have
come to the conclusion that my mother board is a bit to old for it. I wish
there was a website that had a list of noncompatible boards and cards.

> wrote in message
> Interesting! Something else I noticed. If I reboot with KVM on another
> computer after the computer booted up successfully, then it is fine. It
> seems
> like it only happens during boot up after long downtimes.
>
> Someone told me to upgrade the video BIOS. I am a bit scared to try that.
> Also, I didn't see one on XFX's Web site. :(
>

> renoman > wrote:
>> I have this problem without the KVM switch and I am using a SyncMaster
>> 960bf. The old GeForce MX200 card works fine. I just can't get the new
>> one
>> to work at all. Was going to replace my power supply but don't want to if
>> don't have to.
>

>> > wrote in message
>> >
>> > See my link below. 450 watts. ;) So you have this problem with KVM
>> > switch
>> > or without? Which SyncMaster monitor is this? Same as mine?

> --
> "An ant is a wise creature for itself, but it is a shrewd thing in an
> orchard or garden." --Francis Bacon
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
> | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
> \ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
> ( )

January 2nd 06, 03:53 AM
Interesting. Someone suggested, for me, to hook up the KVM to AC. I haven't
tried that, but then you don't have a KVM!

Can you point out the URLs to the threads on this issue? I haven't seen those.
I also posted in XFX's forum about this. No replies yet.

--
"Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant, and she fell on me. Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny." --Saturday Night Live FAQ: Deep Thoughts
/\___/\
( )