PDA

View Full Version : Nforce4 K8 Triton + 4x PC400 DDR DIMMS = PC333?

Doug McLaren
December 30th 05, 09:51 AM
I've got a nForce4 K8 Triton board -- GA-K8NF-9 board with an Athlon
64 3000+.

With two 512 MB PC400 DIMMs, memtest reports the memory speed as PC400
and it is stable.

With four 512 MB PC400 DIMMs, all identical, memtest tells me that the
BIOS has the memory speed at 333 MHz by default, and it is stable --
no problems.

If I force the memory speed to PC400 in the BIOS, memtest reports zero
errors even when run for 24 hours straight, but I do see errors in
actual use -- for example, Linux will have occasional general
protection faults when under load or gcc will crash in random places.

Obviously there's something going on with the memory speeds. Any idea
what? Some chipset limitation?

--
Doug McLaren, There's no place like /home

Jase
December 31st 05, 01:40 AM
Doug McLaren wrote:
> I've got a nForce4 K8 Triton board -- GA-K8NF-9 board with an Athlon
> 64 3000+.
>
> With two 512 MB PC400 DIMMs, memtest reports the memory speed as PC400
> and it is stable.
>
> With four 512 MB PC400 DIMMs, all identical, memtest tells me that the
> BIOS has the memory speed at 333 MHz by default, and it is stable --
> no problems.
>
> If I force the memory speed to PC400 in the BIOS, memtest reports zero
> errors even when run for 24 hours straight, but I do see errors in
> actual use -- for example, Linux will have occasional general
> protection faults when under load or gcc will crash in random places.
>
> Obviously there's something going on with the memory speeds. Any idea
> what? Some chipset limitation?

I have a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP-SLI nforce 4 mobo that has exactly the same
problem. With 2 sticks of Corsair matched 512Mb PC400, the memory runs
at 400MHz, but with 4 sticks of the same memory, the speed drops to 333MHz.
It seems that this is a 'feature' of the nforce 4 chipset. Googling for
the problem shows the same results....

Jason

old man
December 31st 05, 11:02 AM
You spoke with Corsair?

"Jase" > wrote in message
. uk...
> Doug McLaren wrote:
> > I've got a nForce4 K8 Triton board -- GA-K8NF-9 board with an Athlon
> > 64 3000+.
> >
> > With two 512 MB PC400 DIMMs, memtest reports the memory speed as PC400
> > and it is stable.
> >
> > With four 512 MB PC400 DIMMs, all identical, memtest tells me that the
> > BIOS has the memory speed at 333 MHz by default, and it is stable --
> > no problems.
> >
> > If I force the memory speed to PC400 in the BIOS, memtest reports zero
> > errors even when run for 24 hours straight, but I do see errors in
> > actual use -- for example, Linux will have occasional general
> > protection faults when under load or gcc will crash in random places.
> >
> > Obviously there's something going on with the memory speeds. Any idea
> > what? Some chipset limitation?
> >

> I have a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP-SLI nforce 4 mobo that has exactly the same
> problem. With 2 sticks of Corsair matched 512Mb PC400, the memory runs
> at 400MHz, but with 4 sticks of the same memory, the speed drops to
333MHz.
> It seems that this is a 'feature' of the nforce 4 chipset. Googling for
> the problem shows the same results....
>
> Jason

Jase
December 31st 05, 11:53 AM
old man wrote:
> You spoke with Corsair?
>
> "Jase" > wrote in message
> . uk...
>> Doug McLaren wrote:
>>> I've got a nForce4 K8 Triton board -- GA-K8NF-9 board with an Athlon
>>> 64 3000+.
>>>
>>> With two 512 MB PC400 DIMMs, memtest reports the memory speed as PC400
>>> and it is stable.
>>>
>>> With four 512 MB PC400 DIMMs, all identical, memtest tells me that the
>>> BIOS has the memory speed at 333 MHz by default, and it is stable --
>>> no problems.
>>>
>>> If I force the memory speed to PC400 in the BIOS, memtest reports zero
>>> errors even when run for 24 hours straight, but I do see errors in
>>> actual use -- for example, Linux will have occasional general
>>> protection faults when under load or gcc will crash in random places.
>>>
>>> Obviously there's something going on with the memory speeds. Any idea
>>> what? Some chipset limitation?
>>>
>> I have a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP-SLI nforce 4 mobo that has exactly the same
>> problem. With 2 sticks of Corsair matched 512Mb PC400, the memory runs
>> at 400MHz, but with 4 sticks of the same memory, the speed drops to
> 333MHz.
>> It seems that this is a 'feature' of the nforce 4 chipset. Googling for
>> the problem shows the same results....
>>
>> Jason

No, I haven't spoken to Corsair.

Jason