PDA

View Full Version : Newer agp cards in an old agp slot

Richard
December 28th 05, 06:43 PM
According to eVGA tech support, their AGP cards (specifically their Geforce
FX5200) will not work an AGP 1.0 (3.3V) slot:

"All of our AGP cards support 1.5V only - the 3.3V will not work and yes
you can damage the card and or motherboard."

If that is the case, why do they key (slot) the FX5200 card to allow it to
be inserted into a 3.3V slot?

Richard

Benjamin Gawert
December 28th 05, 08:43 PM
Richard schrieb:

> According to eVGA tech support, their AGP cards (specifically their
> Geforce FX5200) will not work an AGP 1.0 (3.3V) slot:
>
> "All of our AGP cards support 1.5V only - the 3.3V will not work and
> yes you can damage the card and or motherboard."

That support is f***ing stupid....

> If that is the case, why do they key (slot) the FX5200 card to allow
> it to be inserted into a 3.3V slot?

Because it works? I have two FX5200 cards (one Abit Siluro, one is a HP
card) that worked fine in my old PentiumII with i440LX chipset (AGP
1x/2x)...

Notice that most card manufacturers don't _support_ AGP1x/2x (3.3v) any
more, that means that if you run into problems they won't help you. But
_not_supported_ doesn't necessarily mean _does_not_work_...

Benjamin

December 28th 05, 11:44 PM
Benjamin:

Is your system running AGP 8x card in an AGP 4x slot? I am wondering
if this will work with a Quadrofx 500 agp8x in my Intel845pesv with
agp4xf.

Thanks.

Jim

noneyabusiness
December 29th 05, 04:10 AM
On 28 Dec 2005 14:44:43 -0800, wrote:

>Benjamin:
>
>Is your system running AGP 8x card in an AGP 4x slot? I am wondering
>if this will work with a Quadrofx 500 agp8x in my Intel845pesv with
>agp4xf.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Jim

Just to add my $.02 to the static, my fx5200 (chaintech? MSI? cant
recall atm.) workes just fine in my ABIT BX133-Raid mobo (P3 processor
with intel BX chipset).

It only runs at 1x, but it runs w/o damaging the mobo or the card.

HTH ;-)

Robert Hancock
December 29th 05, 07:05 AM
Richard wrote:
> According to eVGA tech support, their AGP cards (specifically their Geforce
> FX5200) will not work an AGP 1.0 (3.3V) slot:
>
> "All of our AGP cards support 1.5V only - the 3.3V will not work and yes
> you can damage the card and or motherboard."
>
> If that is the case, why do they key (slot) the FX5200 card to allow it to
> be inserted into a 3.3V slot?

Their tech support is most likely wrong. As far as I know, the only
Nvidia chips which won't work on 3.3V AGP are those like the 6600GT
where the GPU is PCI Express and uses a HSI chip to convert it to AGP.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from

Benjamin Gawert
December 29th 05, 10:20 AM
Robert Hancock schrieb:

> Their tech support is most likely wrong. As far as I know, the only
> Nvidia chips which won't work on 3.3V AGP are those like the 6600GT
> where the GPU is PCI Express and uses a HSI chip to convert it to AGP.

Exactly...

Benjamin

Richard
January 2nd 06, 05:06 PM
Benjamin Gawert wrote:

> Robert Hancock schrieb:
>
>> Their tech support is most likely wrong. As far as I know, the only
>> Nvidia chips which won't work on 3.3V AGP are those like the 6600GT
>> where the GPU is PCI Express and uses a HSI chip to convert it to AGP.
>
> Exactly...
>
> Benjamin

Thanks for all the replies.

Richard