PDA

View Full Version : What's your 3d card history?

Dean Jarratt
December 23rd 05, 01:56 PM
From when I can remember actually buying 3rd party cards, I've been through
the following:-

ATI 3d Rage II + 3dfx Voodoo 2
Geforce 256 SDR
Geforce 4 4200Ti
Geforce FX5900XT
Geforce 6800GT
Geforce 7800GT x2 Sli

Michael Tipotsch
December 23rd 05, 02:53 PM
"Dean Jarratt" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> From when I can remember actually buying 3rd party cards, I've been
> through
> the following:-
>
> ATI 3d Rage II + 3dfx Voodoo 2
> Geforce 256 SDR
> Geforce 4 4200Ti
> Geforce FX5900XT
> Geforce 6800GT
> Geforce 7800GT x2 Sli

3dfx Voodoo 3
Riva TNT 2 (still used by my mum)
Geforce 4 MX440 (still used by a friend)
Geforce 5700
Geforce 6800GT

Cu, Michael

Andrew
December 23rd 05, 03:00 PM
On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 12:56:43 +0000 (UTC), Dean Jarratt
> wrote:

>From when I can remember actually buying 3rd party cards, I've been through
>the following:-

Matrox Mystique
Voodoo 1
Voodoo 2
Voodoo 2 SLI
GeForce Pro
GeForce 2 GTS (actually I didn't buy this one, Creative Labs sent it
as a replacement when the GF1 died).
GeForce 3
GeForce 4 4400
9700 Pro
6600GT.

Kokoro
December 23rd 05, 03:11 PM
In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Dean Jarratt ordered an army of
hamsters to type:

> From when I can remember actually buying 3rd party cards, I've been
> through the following:-
>
> ATI 3d Rage II + 3dfx Voodoo 2
> Geforce 256 SDR
> Geforce 4 4200Ti
> Geforce FX5900XT
> Geforce 6800GT
> Geforce 7800GT x2 Sli

Bunch os S3's, but they dont count.
3Dfx Voodoo 3
3Dfx Voodoo 5
Geforce 5800 (Abit Siluro)
Geforce 6800GT (XFX)
Geforce 6200 (XFX) for a second comp

Brian Dukes
December 23rd 05, 03:21 PM
Dean Jarratt wrote:
> From when I can remember actually buying 3rd party cards, I've been through
> the following:-
>
> ATI 3d Rage II + 3dfx Voodoo 2
> Geforce 256 SDR
> Geforce 4 4200Ti
> Geforce FX5900XT
> Geforce 6800GT
> Geforce 7800GT x2 Sli

I don't think I can truly remember all of mine;

PowerVR
"some other" 3DFX card I can't remember!
3DFX Voodoo 2
.. }
.. } - can't remember these
.. }
Geforce 2 TI/64MB (only recently stopped using this on one machine, as
the fan totally seized and the card burnt out)
Geforce 6200TC PCI-E - what a crap card!
Geforce 6600GT

And hopefully after christmas I may upgrade to a 6800GT or 7800GTX if I
can afford it...

Brian Dukes
December 23rd 05, 03:32 PM
Brian Dukes wrote:
> PowerVR
> "some other" 3DFX card I can't remember!
Voodoo 1... yep, had one of those
Matrox Mystique ... not sure where/when but I also had one of those

December 23rd 05, 04:09 PM
Voodoo 2
Diamond Stealth S220 (Rendition chip - for Papyrus racing sims)
Voodoo 3
Voodoo 5 (still have it - waiting to build a classic Glide gaming rig)
GeForce 2MX (bought for the dual-head, not gaming)
GF Ti4200
ATI 9700 Pro
2xATI 8500's (not in my primary gaming PC - dualhead and good TV output
for PVR PC, DVD decoding)
ATI X800XL - for about 4 days trying to get it to agree with my VIA
chipset (blaming VIA for that one)
GF 6800 Ultra

Tony DiMarzio
December 23rd 05, 04:10 PM
"Dean Jarratt" > wrote in message
> From when I can remember actually buying 3rd party cards, I've been
> through
> the following:-
>
> ATI 3d Rage II + 3dfx Voodoo 2
> Geforce 256 SDR
> Geforce 4 4200Ti
> Geforce FX5900XT
> Geforce 6800GT
> Geforce 7800GT x2 Sli

Diamond Stealth 64 VLB
Diamond Stealth 3D (S3 Virge 3D Decelerator)
Diamond Monster 3D 2 (Voodoo2)
3dfx Voodoo3 2000 PCI
Geforce2 GTS (Can't remember the brand)
LeadTek Geforce3 TDH
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (Had to switch to ATI for R300)
ATI Radeon X1800XT (Couldn't turn this one down either)

From VLB to PCI - AGP - PCI-E. ISA vid cards were around when I first got
into computers, but I went for the more powerful (relatively speaking) Vesa
Local Bus card.

Tony

Andrew
December 23rd 05, 04:15 PM
I had the following

ATI All In Wonder (first card in my first PC bought approx 1995)
TNT 2 M64 (Sparkle)
GeForce FX5200 (best waste of money ever)
GeForce FX5900 (great card, damage it tryin to rmeove the cooler)
GeForce FX6600 (bought to repalce the damaged 5900, should have got a
6600GT)
GeForce 6800GT (Leadtek - died after 3 days. Bought this to replace the
under-performing 6600)
GeForce 6800GT (Leadtek - died after 4 weeks)
GeForce 6800GT (Inno3D- caught fire after 2 weeks)
GeForce 7800 GT OC (BFG. The Inno3D 3800GT card cost so much, AGP card
prices rocketed, that when I got a refund for it I had enough money to get
this 7800GT and a PCIe motherboard)

The 6800 GT fiasco was the worse moment in my personal graphics card
history.

Andy

Son Of LaL
December 23rd 05, 04:39 PM
"Dean Jarratt" > wrote in message
> From when I can remember actually buying 3rd party cards, I've been
> through
> the following:-
>
> ATI 3d Rage II + 3dfx Voodoo 2
> Geforce 256 SDR
> Geforce 4 4200Ti
> Geforce FX5900XT
> Geforce 6800GT
> Geforce 7800GT x2 Sli

3D rage II also
nvidia TNT 2
Voodoo 1 + PowerVR I
Voodoo2
ATI Rage Fury MAXX
Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 (Kyro2 chipset) - good card but no T+L
Geforce FX5200 (64bit) - Never again!
ATI 9600XT
ATI 9700pro
Geforce 6800GT

Larry Roberts
December 23rd 05, 05:11 PM
My 3D cards are as follows:

1. Virge DX 4MB (It accellerated HyperBlade game, but that was it)
2. Rendition Verite 1000
3. added Matrox M3D (PowerVR) to Verite 1000
4. Rendition Verite 2200 (first AGP card)
5. added 3DFX Voodoo1 to Verite 2200
6. 3DFX Voodoo3 3000 (PC system was stolen shortly afterwards)
7. Nvidia TnT2 M64 + 3DFX Voodoo2 12MB SLI
8. ATI Rage Fury Maxx (replaced the TnT2 M64)
9. Nvidia GF2 MX400 64MB (held on to Voodoo2 SLI for a little while)
10. ATI Radeon 9000
11. Nvidia GF3 Ti200
12. Nvidia GF4 Ti4400
13. Nvidia 6600GT (current card)

The Black Wibble
December 23rd 05, 05:53 PM
July 1998, Cirrus Logic 5465 (AGP)
June 2002, 3DFX Voodoo 2 SLI
Aug 2003, MSI FX5900U-VTD256

Tony.

Benjamin Gawert
December 23rd 05, 06:08 PM
Dean Jarratt schrieb:

> From when I can remember actually buying 3rd party cards, I've been through
> the following:-
>
> ATI 3d Rage II + 3dfx Voodoo 2
> Geforce 256 SDR
> Geforce 4 4200Ti
> Geforce FX5900XT
> Geforce 6800GT
> Geforce 7800GT x2 Sli

I can't remember all of them but I went through these 3D cards:

- S3 Virge DX in a Pentium133
- Videologics PowerVR addon 3D card for the Pentium133
- PentiumII 266 w. Elsa Victory Erazor 4MB AGP (Riva128)
- HP VisualizeFX 10 Pro AGP 64MB in a HP Kayak XU w. Dual P2-333 (still
have this machine) running WinNT 4
- PentiumII 350 w. Riva128ZX 8MB on-Board
- AMD Athlon 600 with Quadro2MXR 32MB
- Dell P4 1.5GHz w. GF2MX and later a Quadro4 900XGL (basically a GF4
TI4600)
- HP P4 2GHz w. ATI FireGL 4 (crappy card), later a FireGL 8800 (Radeon
8500) and a Quadro4 980XGL (basically a GF4 Ti4800)
- HP Dual XEON 2GHz w. ATI FireGL X1-256p (basically a Radeon 9700 PRO)
- HP P4 3.06GHz w. ATI FireGL X1-256p and later a PNY Geforce 6800GT AGP
- Current system is a HP xw8200 w. 2x XEON 3GHz, 10GB RAM and PNY GF
7800GTX PCIe.

Benjamin

deimos
December 23rd 05, 06:13 PM
Dean Jarratt wrote:
> From when I can remember actually buying 3rd party cards, I've been through
> the following:-
>
> ATI 3d Rage II + 3dfx Voodoo 2
> Geforce 256 SDR
> Geforce 4 4200Ti
> Geforce FX5900XT
> Geforce 6800GT
> Geforce 7800GT x2 Sli

Riva 128 4MB AGP
Riva TNT
3DFX Voodoo Banshee
Riva TNT 2 Ultra
Geforce 2 MX
Geforce 2 Ultra
Geforce 3 TI200
Geforce FX 5600
Radeon 9600 Pro
Geforce FX 5700
Geforce 6 6600GT AGP

Conor
December 23rd 05, 06:28 PM
In article >, Dean
Jarratt says...
> From when I can remember actually buying 3rd party cards, I've been through
> the following:-
>
> ATI 3d Rage II + 3dfx Voodoo 2
> Geforce 256 SDR
> Geforce 4 4200Ti
> Geforce FX5900XT
> Geforce 6800GT
> Geforce 7800GT x2 Sli

Cirrus Logic thing + PowerVR
Matrox G220
Matrox G450
Geforce 256
Geforce 2MX
Geforce 4200Ti
Radeon 9800SE AIW
Geforce 6600GT
Geforce 7800GT

--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.

Glen
December 23rd 05, 07:09 PM
"Dean Jarratt" > wrote in message ...
> From when I can remember actually buying 3rd party cards, I've been through
> the following:-
>
> ATI 3d Rage II + 3dfx Voodoo 2
> Geforce 256 SDR
> Geforce 4 4200Ti
> Geforce FX5900XT
> Geforce 6800GT
> Geforce 7800GT x2 Sli

Paradise Professional (ISA)
Video7 1024i
Diamond ProStar (or something) (VLB)
Matrox Millenium I (PCI)
Matrox Millenium II
Matrox Mystique
Matrox G400 Max (AGP)
Geforce 256DDR
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro

Thomas Kohl
December 23rd 05, 07:20 PM
Dean Jarratt wrote:

S3 whatever with 1mb Ram
Voodoo1 8mb iirc
Voodoo Banshee
Riva tnt+2 Voodoo2 SLI ( yeah the proper SLi not the watered down stuff
Nvidia utilises today)
Geforce 1
Geforce 2mx
Voodoo 5 5500
Geforce 4MX 400?
Radeon 9700 Pro cooled by Zalman Dual Heatpipe cooler
Geforce 6600Gt with VF 700 AlCu
Geforce [email protected]/6 350/800Mhz completely passive cooled thanks to Polar
Freezer

don't know where to go next,7800 Gt would be PCi-E meaning a new
Mainboard n stuff and theres the silencing issue :-D

Frank
December 23rd 05, 07:36 PM
Started with a Pentium 166 but don't remeber what I had. Whan't 3D i'm sure

- ATI Rage 2 (was that a 3d card???? haha)
- Asus mx400
- Asus V9520 Video Suite Geforce Fx5200 128M (was my card for a long time)
- ATI Radeon 9800XT (curent card) OC & water cooled

McGrandpa
December 23rd 05, 08:30 PM
"Dean Jarratt" > wrote in message
> From when I can remember actually buying 3rd party cards, I've been
> through
> the following:-
>
> ATI 3d Rage II + 3dfx Voodoo 2
> Geforce 256 SDR
> Geforce 4 4200Ti
> Geforce FX5900XT
> Geforce 6800GT
> Geforce 7800GT x2 Sli

This is gonna be embarassing.... because I have to wonder what actually IS a
'3D card' in the early days.

Available= tested, usable, not installed in anything
DEAD= not functioning (really)
Current= installed and running in a system right now

ATI Mach 64 (available)
ATI Rage 3D (available)
Matrox Millenium G200 16 meg (available)
CL 3D Blaster PCI (a Rendition Verite 1000 based card) (can't find it!)
CL Voodoo2 12 meg (available)
Wicked 3D Voodoo2 12 meg (available)
Diamond Viper v770Ultra (current)
Asus V6800 (GeForce 256) (DEAD)
CL GeForce2 GTS (DEAD)
PNY GF4 Ti4600 (current)
ATI Radeon 7000 (current)
ATI Radeon 8500 (gave this to someone)
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (available, might be dying)
PNY GF FX5900 (available, bad fan)
eVGA 6800 128meg (12,5) (current)
eVGA 6800GT 256meg (current in this rig)

Duh.
McG.

McGrandpa
December 23rd 05, 08:45 PM
"McGrandpa" > wrote in message

> "Dean Jarratt" > wrote in message
>> From when I can remember actually buying 3rd party cards, I've been
>> through
>> the following:-
>>
>> ATI 3d Rage II + 3dfx Voodoo 2
>> Geforce 256 SDR
>> Geforce 4 4200Ti
>> Geforce FX5900XT
>> Geforce 6800GT
>> Geforce 7800GT x2 Sli
>
> This is gonna be embarassing.... because I have to wonder what actually IS
> a '3D card' in the early days.
>
> Available= tested, usable, not installed in anything
> DEAD= not functioning (really)
> Current= installed and running in a system right now
>
> ATI Mach 64 (available)
> ATI Rage 3D (available)
> Matrox Millenium G200 16 meg (available)
> CL 3D Blaster PCI (a Rendition Verite 1000 based card) (can't find it!)
> CL Voodoo2 12 meg (available)
> Wicked 3D Voodoo2 12 meg (available)
> Diamond Viper v770Ultra (current)
> Asus V6800 (GeForce 256) (DEAD)
> CL GeForce2 GTS (DEAD)
> PNY GF4 Ti4600 (current)
> ATI Radeon 7000 (current)
> ATI Radeon 8500 (gave this to someone)
> ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (available, might be dying)
> PNY GF FX5900 (available, bad fan)
> eVGA 6800 128meg (12,5) (current)
> eVGA 6800GT 256meg (current in this rig)
>
> Duh.
> McG.

I forgot to list a few. Up there are listed the PCI and AGP flavors. Below
are the VLB flavor.
Hercules Dynamite Pro VL
Diamond Viper VL
Some S3 Virge VL card
This is just getting too old here :)

McG.

Inglo
December 23rd 05, 10:23 PM
On 12/23/2005 4:56 AM Dean Jarratt brightened our day with:
> From when I can remember actually buying 3rd party cards, I've been through
> the following:-
>
> ATI 3d Rage II + 3dfx Voodoo 2
> Geforce 256 SDR
> Geforce 4 4200Ti
> Geforce FX5900XT
> Geforce 6800GT
> Geforce 7800GT x2 Sli

In '96 I had a Diamond Stealth 3D 2000
Orchid Righteous 3D Voodoo 1 (I always loved the name of this card)
Christmas 1997
3DFX Voodoo 3 3000 Christmas 1999
Visiontek GeForce 3 Ti500 11-23-2001
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 9-30-2003
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 6-27-2004
XFX GeForce 6800 3-30-2005

--
"I did not have misleading relations with those facts"

George W

Steve Inglo
www.inglostadt.com

HKH Chr.
December 23rd 05, 11:44 PM
"Dean Jarratt" > wrote in message
> From when I can remember actually buying 3rd party cards, I've been
> through
> the following:-
>
> ATI 3d Rage II + 3dfx Voodoo 2
> Geforce 256 SDR
> Geforce 4 4200Ti
> Geforce FX5900XT
> Geforce 6800GT
> Geforce 7800GT x2 Sli

Voodoo I
Voodoo II (one of the verify first, my brother got a reference card)
3D rage II
Geforce MX440
Geforce 4 Ti 4200
Geforce 6600GT

NightSky 421
December 23rd 05, 11:44 PM
"Dean Jarratt" > wrote in message
> From when I can remember actually buying 3rd party cards, I've been
> through
> the following:-

Focusing on my main computer, and not counting some of the downgrades I was
forced to make in the late 1990s, this is my list (my memory is a bit rusty
in places)...

Generic 256K VGA ISA (June 1991 - with my first PC!)
ASI WinJet 1MB ISA (1994)
S3 Trio64 1MB PCI (1996)
S3 ViRGE 2MB (1997)
ATI Xpert XL 4MB PCI (1999)
ATI Xpert 98 8MB AGP (January 2000) (got it dirt cheap)
ATI Xpert 2000 32MB AGP (April 2000)
Asus GeForce2 MX 32MB AGP (April 2001)
MSI GeForce3 Ti500 64MB AGP (June 2002)
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB AGP (March 2003)
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB AGP (July 2003) (current card)

The 9800 Pro was a store warranty replacement for my 9700 Pro. I was given
a 9800 Pro by the store because the 9700 Pro was no longer available when I
made my warranty claim.

My second computer currently has a GeForceFX 5700 128MB AGP card (straight
5700).

I almost built a new computer this month but ultimately decided that my 9800
Pro and 2.8GHz P4 still does the job. I was going to buy a 7800GT, but will
now go back to my original plan and wait for the summer and see what Socket
M2 and G80/R580 have to offer. At least I have a nice shiny new Antec P160
case to house it all in when I do build!

pigdos
December 23rd 05, 11:51 PM
I think your Hercules Dynamite Pro VL was actually the Dynamite Power VLB. I
had one of those, first video card I spent over $200 on. I used it on my old
Cyrix 5x86 120 rig. That system lasted me the longest unchanged (about 2
years, only the hard drive changed). It got me through Quake.

--
Doug
"McGrandpa" > wrote in message

> I forgot to list a few. Up there are listed the PCI and AGP flavors.
> Below are the VLB flavor.
> Hercules Dynamite Pro VL
> Diamond Viper VL
> Some S3 Virge VL card
> This is just getting too old here :)
>
> McG.

NightSky 421
December 23rd 05, 11:55 PM
"NightSky 421" > wrote in message
> S3 ViRGE 2MB (1997)

I believe that card was the DX version. I recall there also being a GX
version available, but I have no idea what the differences are now (not that
it matters at this point anyway!).

RJAG
December 24th 05, 01:30 AM
Cirrus logic 1 MB (came with first computer)
Trident 1 MB (ISA)
Cirrus Logic 1 MB 5428 (upgraded to 2MB later) Vesa Local Bus. Remember
those anyone?
Matrox Mystique (ISA)
SIS 6326 (4 Meg AGP)
Voodoo 2 (PCI)
Geforce2 MX (32 MB)
Geforce3 Ti200 (64 MB)
Geforce 4 Ti4200 (64 MB)
Geforce 6800 (128MB)

First of One
December 24th 05, 02:31 AM
Even kittens will not be able to save this thread...

"Dean Jarratt" > wrote in message
> From when I can remember actually buying 3rd party cards, I've been
> through
> the following:-
>
> ATI 3d Rage II + 3dfx Voodoo 2
> Geforce 256 SDR
> Geforce 4 4200Ti
> Geforce FX5900XT
> Geforce 6800GT
> Geforce 7800GT x2 Sli

Larry Roberts
December 24th 05, 03:10 AM
On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 10:11:15 -0600, Larry Roberts >
wrote:

> My 3D cards are as follows:
>
>1. Virge DX 4MB (It accellerated HyperBlade game, but that was it)
>2. Rendition Verite 1000
>3. added Matrox M3D (PowerVR) to Verite 1000
>4. Rendition Verite 2200 (first AGP card)
>5. added 3DFX Voodoo1 to Verite 2200
Banshee 16MB AGP (Forgot this one)
>6. 3DFX Voodoo3 3000 (PC system was stolen shortly afterwards)
>7. Nvidia TnT2 M64 + 3DFX Voodoo2 12MB SLI
>8. ATI Rage Fury Maxx (replaced the TnT2 M64)
>9. Nvidia GF2 MX400 64MB (held on to Voodoo2 SLI for a little while)
>10. ATI Radeon 9000
>11. Nvidia GF3 Ti200
>12. Nvidia GF4 Ti4400
>13. Nvidia 6600GT (current card)

Augustus
December 24th 05, 06:09 AM
"Dean Jarratt" > wrote in message
> From when I can remember actually buying 3rd party cards, I've been
> through
> the following:-
>
> ATI 3d Rage II + 3dfx Voodoo 2
> Geforce 256 SDR
> Geforce 4 4200Ti
> Geforce FX5900XT
> Geforce 6800GT
> Geforce 7800GT x2 Sli
Cirrus Logic 4Mb
Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo1 with a Diamond Viper V330
Voodoo 3 3000
Geforce2 GTX
Radeon 8500
Radeon 9800 Pro
EVGA 7800 GTX

McGrandpa
December 24th 05, 01:38 PM
"pigdos" > wrote in message
et...
>I think your Hercules Dynamite Pro VL was actually the Dynamite Power VLB.
>I had one of those, first video card I spent over $200 on. I used it on my
>old Cyrix 5x86 120 rig. That system lasted me the longest unchanged (about
>2 years, only the hard drive changed). It got me through Quake.
>
> --
> Doug
> "McGrandpa" > wrote in message
>>

>> I forgot to list a few. Up there are listed the PCI and AGP flavors.
>> Below are the VLB flavor.
>> Hercules Dynamite Pro VL
>> Diamond Viper VL
>> Some S3 Virge VL card
>> This is just getting too old here :)
>>
>> McG.

I can take photos of the card, put it on the scanner etc. What I can't do
at the moment is run it. I may have one 486 VLB mobo still working. But
nothing set up yet to run. It has a chip with a Dynamite label on it.
Nothing on the card itself that says either Power or Pro, but it used to say
it in color on bootup. This Herc was my last VLB card. I made it a point
to wait for PCI to come out before I spent any more money. I bought this
one from a buddy of mine, it didn't come with the box. I can't remember
what games I was playing, but that I did get the card says I wanted my games
to go faster :)
McG.

John Lewis
December 25th 05, 09:11 AM
On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 12:56:43 +0000 (UTC), Dean Jarratt
> wrote:

>From when I can remember actually buying 3rd party cards, I've been through
>the following:-
>
>ATI 3d Rage II + 3dfx Voodoo 2
>Geforce 256 SDR
>Geforce 4 4200Ti
>Geforce FX5900XT
>Geforce 6800GT
>Geforce 7800GT x2 Sli

Voodoo 1
Dual Voodoo2 SLI
Voodoo Banshee
Voodoo 5 5500
Ti 4400
FX5900
7800 GTX (256)

John Lewis

TMack
December 25th 05, 02:53 PM
"Dean Jarratt" > wrote in message
> From when I can remember actually buying 3rd party cards, I've been
through
> the following:-
>
> ATI 3d Rage II + 3dfx Voodoo 2
> Geforce 256 SDR
> Geforce 4 4200Ti
> Geforce FX5900XT
> Geforce 6800GT
> Geforce 7800GT x2 Sli

As below (I may have missed one or two) - and I managed to overclock nearly
all of them!

S3 Virge
Videodlogic Apocalypse 3Dx (PowerVR)
Voodoo 1
voodoo2
voodoo2 SLI
Vooodoo 3
Voodoo 3500
S3 Savage 3d
Geforce MX
ATI Rage pro
Geforce 256
Geforce 2 GTS
Geforce 2 Ultra
Geforce 3 Ti200
Geforce 3 Ti500
ATI Radeon 8500
Geforce Ti4200
Radeon 9500
Radeon 9700 Pro
Radeon 9800 Pro

--
Tony

noneyabusiness
December 25th 05, 10:23 PM
On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 12:56:43 +0000 (UTC), Dean Jarratt
> wrote:

>From when I can remember actually buying 3rd party cards, I've been through
>the following:-
>
>ATI 3d Rage II + 3dfx Voodoo 2
>Geforce 256 SDR
>Geforce 4 4200Ti
>Geforce FX5900XT
>Geforce 6800GT
>Geforce 7800GT x2 Sli

This will be a short list ;-)
(3D only, right?)

Mystique
TNT2
GeForce 256 SDR
(Still my main card!)
And I possess a FX5200 but it's not in a system at the moment.
I'm still waiting to build a P4 system :-o

me
December 26th 05, 09:29 PM
"Dean Jarratt" > wrote in message
> From when I can remember actually buying 3rd party cards, I've been
> through
> the following:-
>
> ATI 3d Rage II + 3dfx Voodoo 2
> Geforce 256 SDR
> Geforce 4 4200Ti
> Geforce FX5900XT
> Geforce 6800GT
> Geforce 7800GT x2 Sli

Short list here as well
Sis 315 128mb ( ha what a joke had it for 3 weeks before replacing it)

GF4 Ti-4200
GF FX5200 (monumental waste of money gave it to a friend the same day it
arrived)

9800Pro 128mb BBATi( ATI Silencer 3 (Rev. 2) )
eVGA 6800GT 256mb

me
December 26th 05, 09:33 PM
"me" > wrote in message

> "Dean Jarratt" > wrote in message
>> From when I can remember actually buying 3rd party cards, I've been
>> through
>> the following:-
>>
>> ATI 3d Rage II + 3dfx Voodoo 2
>> Geforce 256 SDR
>> Geforce 4 4200Ti
>> Geforce FX5900XT
>> Geforce 6800GT
>> Geforce 7800GT x2 Sli
>
> Short list here as well
> Sis 315 128mb ( ha what a joke had it for 3 weeks before replacing it)
>
> GF4 Ti-4200
> GF FX5200 (monumental waste of money gave it to a friend the same day it
> arrived)
>
> 9800Pro 128mb BBATi( ATI Silencer 3 (Rev. 2) )
> eVGA 6800GT 256mb

it was actually a VGA Silencer, Rev.3

ED
December 26th 05, 10:06 PM
Creative 3d blaster riva tnt
Riva TNT 2
Geforce MX
Geforce 2 MX
Geforce FX5200
Geforce 6600GT

"Dean Jarratt" > wrote in message
> From when I can remember actually buying 3rd party cards, I've been
> through
> the following:-
>
> ATI 3d Rage II + 3dfx Voodoo 2
> Geforce 256 SDR
> Geforce 4 4200Ti
> Geforce FX5900XT
> Geforce 6800GT
> Geforce 7800GT x2 Sli

hajo
December 26th 05, 11:44 PM
Creative 3D Blaster Rendition Verite 1000
3DFX Pure 3D Voodoo 1
3DFX Voodoo 3
Geforce 2 GT
Ati TNT2 Ultra
Geforce 4 MX
Geforce ti 4200
Geforce ti 4600
Geforce 6800 GT

gimp
December 27th 05, 01:35 AM
Matrox MGA Millennium, the first card with 4MB 'w-ram', wow! lol.
Silicon Graphics O2
3D labs Oxygen VX1 (back to the PC)
Integrated Geforce2MX (nForce220D)
Gainward GeForce4 MX-440SE
Gainward GeForce 6600GT AGP8X
waiting for new MSI 7800GT to arrive :)

McGrandpa
December 27th 05, 04:09 AM
"Q" > wrote in message
.. .
> "McGrandpa" > wrote in
> >:
>
>> Available= tested, usable, not installed in anything
>> DEAD= not functioning (really)
>> Current= installed and running in a system right now
>>
>> ATI Mach 64 (available)
>> ATI Rage 3D (available)
>> Matrox Millenium G200 16 meg (available)
>> CL 3D Blaster PCI (a Rendition Verite 1000 based card) (can't find
>> it!) CL Voodoo2 12 meg (available)
>> Wicked 3D Voodoo2 12 meg (available)
>> Diamond Viper v770Ultra (current)
>> Asus V6800 (GeForce 256) (DEAD)
>> CL GeForce2 GTS (DEAD)
>> PNY GF4 Ti4600 (current)
>> ATI Radeon 7000 (current)
>> ATI Radeon 8500 (gave this to someone)
>> ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (available, might be dying)
>> PNY GF FX5900 (available, bad fan)
>> eVGA 6800 128meg (12,5) (current)
>> eVGA 6800GT 256meg (current in this rig)
>
> Whenever these kinda threads start, I'm always amazed/amused by the
> lengths of the lists. Here's mine, for everyone to laugh at:
>
> Voodoo 3 2000
> Gainward GS Ti 200
> MSI 6600 GT
>
> Once I get a new (to me) card, I go back and play games from the past
> 2-3 years that my previous card wouldn't run at decent settings. Suits
> me fine.

Nuthin wrong with that man! I've been at this a long time though... that
verite 1000 board was what I got to play Tombraider and Quake with :) That
was a while before the Voodoo3 I think ;) I didn't even mention my older 2D
cards...
McG.

Freedom55
December 27th 05, 04:55 PM
Dean Jarratt wrote:
> From when I can remember actually buying 3rd party cards, I've been through
> the following:-
>
> ATI 3d Rage II + 3dfx Voodoo 2
> Geforce 256 SDR
> Geforce 4 4200Ti
> Geforce FX5900XT
> Geforce 6800GT
> Geforce 7800GT x2 Sli

Cirrus Logic 512kb
Diamond Viper 3D AGP 4 meg
Diamond Monster 3DFX Voodoo II 8 meg
S3 Savage4 AGP 32 meg
Radeon 7500 64 meg
Radeon 7500 16 meg mobile for Dell laptop (still in use)
Radeon 9600Pro 128 meg (still in use)
Leadtek 6600GT 128 meg (still in use)

--
And it really doesn't matter if
I'm wrong I'm right

Lennon & McCartney

Glen
December 27th 05, 05:00 PM
"Freedom55" <"joinertake this > wrote in message ...
> --
> And it really doesn't matter if
> I'm wrong I'm right
> Where I belong I'm right
> Where I belong.
>
> Lennon & McCartney

The way it was written:

And it really doesn't matter if I'm wrong.
I'm right where I belong.
I'm right where I belong.

McGrandpa
December 28th 05, 02:45 AM
"Q" > wrote in message
.. .
> "McGrandpa" > wrote in
> >:
>
>> "Q" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>> "McGrandpa" > wrote in

>>> Whenever these kinda threads start, I'm always amazed/amused by
>>> the lengths of the lists. Here's mine, for everyone to laugh at:
>>>
>>> Voodoo 3 2000
>>> Gainward GS Ti 200
>>> MSI 6600 GT
>>>
>>> Once I get a new (to me) card, I go back and play games from the
>>> past 2-3 years that my previous card wouldn't run at decent
>>> settings. Suits me fine.
>>
>> Nuthin wrong with that man! I've been at this a long time
>> though... that verite 1000 board was what I got to play Tombraider
>> and Quake with :) That was a while before the Voodoo3 I think ;)
>> I didn't even mention my older 2D cards...
>> McG.
>
> Heh, I played TR with an onboard ATI chipset, 2 or 4 MB IIRC.

Well, the last onboard video I had was in an Atari 1040 ST FMd, with a meg o
ram ;o) Far better computer than the Tandy 1000a I had before it. Went
'clone' after that ST. Got my very first Video Card. ATI VGA wonder, 512K.
I played the original Wing Commander on it... it was so slow it took me two
years to finish it!!!! LOL! course, the computer it was in was a
286-12mHz, 2 megs of ram in chips. Damn computer barely outran the
keyboard. Games gave me reason to begin upgrading.
Happy New Year Q!
McG.

/mel/
January 2nd 06, 04:01 PM
No idea + 3Dfx Voodoo 1
3Dfx Voodoo 3 PCI
Nvidia Geforce2MX + Hauppauge WinTV AGP
ATI AIW8500DV AGP
ATI AIW9800pro AGP
Nvidia 7800GT PCI-Express

Lessons learned -

ATI drivers were awful.

Don't buy combined graphics cards / TV tuners.

Stability is more important than speed. Keep a PCI card on-hand for when
you've stuff the BIOS in your AGP card.

WD40 is only a temporary solution to a squealing fan: replace the damn fan
ASAP.

It doesn't matter now how fast the technology improves - I don't think I'll
ever again get a feeling like seeing for the first time the difference
between Quake in software and on a Voodoo 1.

--

/mel/

np: silence

/mel/
January 2nd 06, 04:05 PM
McGrandpa wrote:

> Well, the last onboard video I had was in an Atari 1040 ST FMd, with
> a meg o ram ;o) Far better computer than the Tandy 1000a I had
> before it. Went 'clone' after that ST.

For me it was the 520, with another bank of 512K soldered on the top, and
eventually a 286 add-in board. So I suppose you could say that I was using a
dual-processor system even that far back! =:-)
--

/mel/

np: silence

McGrandpa
January 2nd 06, 08:40 PM
"/mel/" > wrote in message
> No idea + 3Dfx Voodoo 1
> 3Dfx Voodoo 3 PCI
> Nvidia Geforce2MX + Hauppauge WinTV AGP
> ATI AIW8500DV AGP
> ATI AIW9800pro AGP
> Nvidia 7800GT PCI-Express
>
> Lessons learned -
>
> ATI drivers were awful.
>
> Don't buy combined graphics cards / TV tuners.
>
> Stability is more important than speed. Keep a PCI card on-hand for when
> you've stuff the BIOS in your AGP card.
>
> WD40 is only a temporary solution to a squealing fan: replace the damn fan
> ASAP.
>
> It doesn't matter now how fast the technology improves - I don't think
> I'll ever again get a feeling like seeing for the first time the
> difference between Quake in software and on a Voodoo 1.

I went from Quake and Tombraider in software to somewhat accelerated 3D with
a Verite 1000 card (and specially written executeables FOR the verite). The
difference was astounding. I can *see*! I can *SEE*!!! LOL! Like you,
I'll never forget THAT moment! Until then, while in software rendering, I
had to imagine what the picture really looked like :-\
Then I added the Voodoo2 12 meg. Same stuff but higher res and much
faster. Relatively speaking, of course :)

These noobs today just don't *KNOW* what they've got!!!
McG.

> --
>
> /mel/
>
> np: silence

McGrandpa
January 2nd 06, 08:42 PM
"/mel/" > wrote in message
> McGrandpa wrote:
>
>> Well, the last onboard video I had was in an Atari 1040 ST FMd, with
>> a meg o ram ;o) Far better computer than the Tandy 1000a I had
>> before it. Went 'clone' after that ST.
>
> For me it was the 520, with another bank of 512K soldered on the top, and
> eventually a 286 add-in board. So I suppose you could say that I was using
> a dual-processor system even that far back! =:-)

Wow, I remember reading about a 286 mod for the ST's. I figured if they can
make a Mac out of one with just using 2 rom chips they can sure make a clone
out of one!!!! You're just the only person I know that actually DID that
one :)
McG.

> --
>
> /mel/
>
> np: silence

/mel/
January 2nd 06, 09:08 PM
McGrandpa wrote:

>>> Well, the last onboard video I had was in an Atari 1040 ST FMd, with
>>> a meg o ram ;o) Far better computer than the Tandy 1000a I had
>>> before it. Went 'clone' after that ST.
>>
>> For me it was the 520, with another bank of 512K soldered on the
>> top, and eventually a 286 add-in board. So I suppose you could say
>> that I was using a dual-processor system even that far back! =:-)
>
> Wow, I remember reading about a 286 mod for the ST's. I figured if
> they can make a Mac out of one with just using 2 rom chips they can
> sure make a clone out of one!!!! You're just the only person I know
> that actually DID that one :)

Actually - I'm trying to remember now if it was a 286 or an 86. Hmmm.
Fairly sure it was a 286. I can't recall the details, but it ran fairly well
as I recall. I had it easy though, as I'd managed to get hold of a couple of
140MB ESDI hard disk drives (this was at a time when 5 or 10MB was the norm,
if you had a disk drive at all). Because of the partition size limits I had
to have a lot of partitions!

Making a Mac out of an ST was easy, and it ****ed a lot of Mac owners off,
as they'd paid so much money. Even more so when the portable ST was
released!

--

/mel/

np: silence

/mel/
January 2nd 06, 09:09 PM
McGrandpa wrote:

>>> Well, the last onboard video I had was in an Atari 1040 ST FMd, with
>>> a meg o ram ;o) Far better computer than the Tandy 1000a I had
>>> before it. Went 'clone' after that ST.
>>
>> For me it was the 520, with another bank of 512K soldered on the
>> top, and eventually a 286 add-in board. So I suppose you could say
>> that I was using a dual-processor system even that far back! =:-)
>
> Wow, I remember reading about a 286 mod for the ST's. I figured if
> they can make a Mac out of one with just using 2 rom chips they can
> sure make a clone out of one!!!! You're just the only person I know
> that actually DID that one :)

Oh, and on the subject of 3D - do you remember Midi Maze?!

--

/mel/

np: silence

McGrandpa
January 2nd 06, 09:53 PM
"/mel/" > wrote in message

>>> For me it was the 520, with another bank of 512K soldered on the
>>> top, and eventually a 286 add-in board. So I suppose you could say
>>> that I was using a dual-processor system even that far back! =:-)
>>
>> Wow, I remember reading about a 286 mod for the ST's. I figured if
>> they can make a Mac out of one with just using 2 rom chips they can
>> sure make a clone out of one!!!! You're just the only person I know
>> that actually DID that one :)
>
> Actually - I'm trying to remember now if it was a 286 or an 86. Hmmm.
> Fairly sure it was a 286. I can't recall the details, but it ran fairly
> well as I recall. I had it easy though, as I'd managed to get hold of a
> couple of 140MB ESDI hard disk drives (this was at a time when 5 or 10MB
> was the norm, if you had a disk drive at all). Because of the partition
> size limits I had to have a lot of partitions!
>
> Making a Mac out of an ST was easy, and it ****ed a lot of Mac owners off,
> as they'd paid so much money. Even more so when the portable ST was
> released!

Yup, that little mod was the reason Apple cracked down hard on distribution
of their Mac ROMS. That did put the little company that made the kit out
of business pronto too.

> --
>
> /mel/
>
> np: silence

McGrandpa
January 2nd 06, 09:55 PM
"/mel/" > wrote in message

>>> For me it was the 520, with another bank of 512K soldered on the
>>> top, and eventually a 286 add-in board. So I suppose you could say
>>> that I was using a dual-processor system even that far back! =:-)
>>
>> Wow, I remember reading about a 286 mod for the ST's. I figured if
>> they can make a Mac out of one with just using 2 rom chips they can
>> sure make a clone out of one!!!! You're just the only person I know
>> that actually DID that one :)
>
> Oh, and on the subject of 3D - do you remember Midi Maze?!

Name rings a bell, but I don't remember having anything by that name.
Sorry. I did get and use some midi stuff, for the keyboards I used to
have. So, what was it?
McG.
> --
>
> /mel/
>
> np: silence

/mel/
January 2nd 06, 10:10 PM
McGrandpa wrote:

>>> Wow, I remember reading about a 286 mod for the ST's. I figured if
>>> they can make a Mac out of one with just using 2 rom chips they can
>>> sure make a clone out of one!!!! You're just the only person I
>>> know that actually DID that one :)
>>
>> Oh, and on the subject of 3D - do you remember Midi Maze?!
>
> Name rings a bell, but I don't remember having anything by that name.
> Sorry. I did get and use some midi stuff, for the keyboards I used
> to have. So, what was it?

It was 3D, in that it was Pacman seen from ground level, and it was
networked via midi, so you could play with your friends. =:-)

--

/mel/

np: silence

McGrandpa
January 3rd 06, 12:29 AM
"/mel/" > wrote in message

>>> Oh, and on the subject of 3D - do you remember Midi Maze?!
>>
>> Name rings a bell, but I don't remember having anything by that name.
>> Sorry. I did get and use some midi stuff, for the keyboards I used
>> to have. So, what was it?
>
> It was 3D, in that it was Pacman seen from ground level, and it was
> networked via midi, so you could play with your friends. =:-)

ow... now that would be Old ... your age is showing a bit ;)
McG.

G.M.
January 3rd 06, 01:43 AM
"/mel/" > wrote in
:

> McGrandpa wrote:

<snip>

> Oh, and on the subject of 3D - do you remember Midi Maze?!

aka: Kill a happy face?

You bet!

--
C:\DOS
C:\DOS\RUN

/mel/
January 4th 06, 08:20 AM
G.M. wrote:

>> Oh, and on the subject of 3D - do you remember Midi Maze?!
>
> aka: Kill a happy face?
>
> You bet!

Yes, and it pre-dated aceeeed house music too! =;-)

--

/mel/

np: silence