PDA

View Full Version : Yet another nVidia display driver that does not work.


default
December 22nd 05, 01:09 AM
Every 8x.xx driver has behaved the same including the new 81.98. During
install, the screen goes black with a blinking cursor in the top left and
the computer hangs. If I install the driver from safe mode, then the driver
installs ok, but on rebooting back to normal mode, the computer hangs with a
black screen.

Drivers up to and including 78.05 work just great.

For those who are interested, this is the relevant setup.

Windows XP Professional.
Tyan S2466N-4M mainboard.
AMD 762 northbridge, AMD 768 southbridge
Dual Athlon-MP 2600+ CPUs
2GB ECC registered RAM
BFG GF6800GT-OC 256MB AGP video card.

The 81.98 driver will load with a GF4 4200ti card but not with the 6800GT.

Will they ever fix it so I can get the "improved dual CPU and dual core
performance"?

deimos
December 22nd 05, 03:24 AM
default wrote:
> Every 8x.xx driver has behaved the same including the new 81.98. During
> install, the screen goes black with a blinking cursor in the top left and
> the computer hangs. If I install the driver from safe mode, then the driver
> installs ok, but on rebooting back to normal mode, the computer hangs with a
> black screen.
>
> Drivers up to and including 78.05 work just great.
>
> For those who are interested, this is the relevant setup.
>
> Windows XP Professional.
> Tyan S2466N-4M mainboard.
> AMD 762 northbridge, AMD 768 southbridge
> Dual Athlon-MP 2600+ CPUs
> 2GB ECC registered RAM
> BFG GF6800GT-OC 256MB AGP video card.
>
> The 81.98 driver will load with a GF4 4200ti card but not with the 6800GT.
>
> Will they ever fix it so I can get the "improved dual CPU and dual core
> performance"?
>
>
>

This is probably one of two things, either it's not detecting your
monitor properly (i.e. the new "Direct Access" functionality), or your
refresh rate isn't being set properly.

First, make sure your monitor .inf file is installed. This provides the
OS with timing and refresh rate information. Do a clean uninstall of
the driver with a utility like Driver Cleaner and start over. If it
still does it, this might have something to do with the driver services
loaded at start. There's an entry for "nwiz" and "nvsvc32" on startup,
so try disabling those.

While your at it, also check the management console (right click My
Computer > Manage) under Event Viewer and Application or System and see
if there's any specific events for the NVIDIA driver failing to start or
a display related error.

@sh
December 22nd 05, 03:55 PM
The driver works fine...its your PC that doesn't!!!

Try booting into safe mode, remove all current NVidia drivers, reboot back
into normal mode and try reinstalling them again.

Cheers, Ash


"deimos" > wrote in message
...
> default wrote:
>> Every 8x.xx driver has behaved the same including the new 81.98. During
>> install, the screen goes black with a blinking cursor in the top left and
>> the computer hangs. If I install the driver from safe mode, then the
>> driver installs ok, but on rebooting back to normal mode, the computer
>> hangs with a black screen.
>>
>> Drivers up to and including 78.05 work just great.
>>
>> For those who are interested, this is the relevant setup.
>>
>> Windows XP Professional.
>> Tyan S2466N-4M mainboard.
>> AMD 762 northbridge, AMD 768 southbridge
>> Dual Athlon-MP 2600+ CPUs
>> 2GB ECC registered RAM
>> BFG GF6800GT-OC 256MB AGP video card.
>>
>> The 81.98 driver will load with a GF4 4200ti card but not with the
>> 6800GT.
>>
>> Will they ever fix it so I can get the "improved dual CPU and dual core
>> performance"?
>>
>>
>>
>
> This is probably one of two things, either it's not detecting your monitor
> properly (i.e. the new "Direct Access" functionality), or your refresh
> rate isn't being set properly.
>
> First, make sure your monitor .inf file is installed. This provides the
> OS with timing and refresh rate information. Do a clean uninstall of the
> driver with a utility like Driver Cleaner and start over. If it still
> does it, this might have something to do with the driver services loaded
> at start. There's an entry for "nwiz" and "nvsvc32" on startup, so try
> disabling those.
>
> While your at it, also check the management console (right click My
> Computer > Manage) under Event Viewer and Application or System and see if
> there's any specific events for the NVIDIA driver failing to start or a
> display related error.

Eric Booth
December 24th 05, 03:22 AM
"@sh" > wrote in message
...
> The driver works fine...its your PC that doesn't!!!
>
> Try booting into safe mode, remove all current NVidia drivers, reboot back
> into normal mode and try reinstalling them again.
>
> Cheers, Ash
>
>
> "deimos" > wrote in message
> ...
>> default wrote:
>>> Every 8x.xx driver has behaved the same including the new 81.98. During
>>> install, the screen goes black with a blinking cursor in the top left
>>> and the computer hangs. If I install the driver from safe mode, then
>>> the driver installs ok, but on rebooting back to normal mode, the
>>> computer hangs with a black screen.
>>>
>>> Drivers up to and including 78.05 work just great.
>>>
>>> For those who are interested, this is the relevant setup.
>>>
>>> Windows XP Professional.
>>> Tyan S2466N-4M mainboard.
>>> AMD 762 northbridge, AMD 768 southbridge
>>> Dual Athlon-MP 2600+ CPUs
>>> 2GB ECC registered RAM
>>> BFG GF6800GT-OC 256MB AGP video card.
>>>
>>> The 81.98 driver will load with a GF4 4200ti card but not with the
>>> 6800GT.
>>>
>>> Will they ever fix it so I can get the "improved dual CPU and dual core
>>> performance"?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> This is probably one of two things, either it's not detecting your
>> monitor properly (i.e. the new "Direct Access" functionality), or your
>> refresh rate isn't being set properly.
>>
>> First, make sure your monitor .inf file is installed. This provides the
>> OS with timing and refresh rate information. Do a clean uninstall of the
>> driver with a utility like Driver Cleaner and start over. If it still
>> does it, this might have something to do with the driver services loaded
>> at start. There's an entry for "nwiz" and "nvsvc32" on startup, so try
>> disabling those.
>>
>> While your at it, also check the management console (right click My
>> Computer > Manage) under Event Viewer and Application or System and see
>> if there's any specific events for the NVIDIA driver failing to start or
>> a display related error.
>
>

Eric Booth
December 24th 05, 03:25 AM
"@sh" > wrote in message
...
> The driver works fine...its your PC that doesn't!!!
>
> Try booting into safe mode, remove all current NVidia drivers, reboot back
> into normal mode and try reinstalling them again.
>
> Cheers, Ash
I have a Leadtek 7800GT card and Leadtek only recommend the 77.77 driver. It
is OK but as I have an Intel Dual core CPU I am puzzled that they dont
recommend the latest nVidia driver
Eric Booth
>
> "deimos" > wrote in message
> ...
>> default wrote:
>>> Every 8x.xx driver has behaved the same including the new 81.98. During
>>> install, the screen goes black with a blinking cursor in the top left
>>> and the computer hangs. If I install the driver from safe mode, then
>>> the driver installs ok, but on rebooting back to normal mode, the
>>> computer hangs with a black screen.
>>>
>>> Drivers up to and including 78.05 work just great.
>>>
>>> For those who are interested, this is the relevant setup.
>>>
>>> Windows XP Professional.
>>> Tyan S2466N-4M mainboard.
>>> AMD 762 northbridge, AMD 768 southbridge
>>> Dual Athlon-MP 2600+ CPUs
>>> 2GB ECC registered RAM
>>> BFG GF6800GT-OC 256MB AGP video card.
>>>
>>> The 81.98 driver will load with a GF4 4200ti card but not with the
>>> 6800GT.
>>>
>>> Will they ever fix it so I can get the "improved dual CPU and dual core
>>> performance"?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> This is probably one of two things, either it's not detecting your
>> monitor properly (i.e. the new "Direct Access" functionality), or your
>> refresh rate isn't being set properly.
>>
>> First, make sure your monitor .inf file is installed. This provides the
>> OS with timing and refresh rate information. Do a clean uninstall of the
>> driver with a utility like Driver Cleaner and start over. If it still
>> does it, this might have something to do with the driver services loaded
>> at start. There's an entry for "nwiz" and "nvsvc32" on startup, so try
>> disabling those.
>>
>> While your at it, also check the management console (right click My
>> Computer > Manage) under Event Viewer and Application or System and see
>> if there's any specific events for the NVIDIA driver failing to start or
>> a display related error.
>
>

McGrandpa
December 24th 05, 01:42 PM
"Eric Booth" > wrote in message
...
>
> "@sh" > wrote in message
> ...
>> The driver works fine...its your PC that doesn't!!!
>>
>> Try booting into safe mode, remove all current NVidia drivers, reboot
>> back into normal mode and try reinstalling them again.
>>
>> Cheers, Ash
> I have a Leadtek 7800GT card and Leadtek only recommend the 77.77 driver.
> It is OK but as I have an Intel Dual core CPU I am puzzled that they dont
> recommend the latest nVidia driver
> Eric Booth

Because there are problems with the nvidia 8x.xx drivers and dual core and
multi socket cpu's.
McG.

snip

Eric Booth
December 24th 05, 11:39 PM
"McGrandpa" > wrote in message
...
>
> "Eric Booth" > wrote in message
> ...
>>
>> "@sh" > wrote in message
>> ...
>>> The driver works fine...its your PC that doesn't!!!
>>>
>>> Try booting into safe mode, remove all current NVidia drivers, reboot
>>> back into normal mode and try reinstalling them again.
>>>
>>> Cheers, Ash
>> I have a Leadtek 7800GT card and Leadtek only recommend the 77.77 driver.
>> It is OK but as I have an Intel Dual core CPU I am puzzled that they dont
>> recommend the latest nVidia driver
>> Eric Booth
>
> Because there are problems with the nvidia 8x.xx drivers and dual core and
> multi socket cpu's.
> McG.
Thanks. It would help if Leadtek made that known
Eric
>
> snip
>

John Lewis
December 25th 05, 09:21 AM
On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 12:42:02 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> wrote:

>
>"Eric Booth" > wrote in message
...
>>
>> "@sh" > wrote in message
>> ...
>>> The driver works fine...its your PC that doesn't!!!
>>>
>>> Try booting into safe mode, remove all current NVidia drivers, reboot
>>> back into normal mode and try reinstalling them again.
>>>
>>> Cheers, Ash
>> I have a Leadtek 7800GT card and Leadtek only recommend the 77.77 driver.
>> It is OK but as I have an Intel Dual core CPU I am puzzled that they dont
>> recommend the latest nVidia driver
>> Eric Booth
>
>Because there are problems with the nvidia 8x.xx drivers and dual core and
>multi socket cpu's.

Really ? I'm not quite sure what you mean by multi-socket ( .. server
boards perhaps.. ?). However with a desktop/single-socket, multi-core
CPU system, I haven't noticed anything traumatic.

X2 4400+, 7800GTX/81.98, Win XP, A8N32-SLI (nForce4) Bios0502 or
0805.

More likely a MB BIOS issue for those with problems.

Software that doesn't do too well with HT is also likely to fail with
dual-core. Use Set Affinity for such problems.

John Lewis

>McG.
>
>snip
>
>

Benjamin Gawert
December 25th 05, 01:59 PM
default schrieb:

> Every 8x.xx driver has behaved the same including the new 81.98. During
> install, the screen goes black with a blinking cursor in the top left and
> the computer hangs. If I install the driver from safe mode, then the driver
> installs ok, but on rebooting back to normal mode, the computer hangs with a
> black screen.

And why do you think that this is a problem with the drivers? FYI: all
the 8x.xx drivers worked just fine on my computers. If they were faulty
as you claim they wouldn't. But the fact that they work fine on millions
of computer but not on yours should have brought you to the concolusion
that it's a fault of your system or from you but definitely not the drivers

> Drivers up to and including 78.05 work just great.
>
> For those who are interested, this is the relevant setup.
>
> Windows XP Professional.
> Tyan S2466N-4M mainboard.
> AMD 762 northbridge, AMD 768 southbridge
> Dual Athlon-MP 2600+ CPUs
> 2GB ECC registered RAM
> BFG GF6800GT-OC 256MB AGP video card.
>
> The 81.98 driver will load with a GF4 4200ti card but not with the 6800GT.

Ever thought about that perhaps it's your video card that cases the
problems? Certainly not.

> Will they ever fix it so I can get the "improved dual CPU and dual core
> performance"?

Why should they fix what ain't broken?

Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert
December 25th 05, 02:01 PM
McGrandpa schrieb:

> Because there are problems with the nvidia 8x.xx drivers and dual core and
> multi socket cpu's.

What problems should that be? The 8x.xx drivers work great on my Dual
XEON system at home, and they also work flawlessly on the Dual XEON and
Dual dualcore Opteron workstations at work...

Benjamin

McGrandpa
December 25th 05, 07:00 PM
"Benjamin Gawert" > wrote in message
...
> default schrieb:
>
>> Every 8x.xx driver has behaved the same including the new 81.98. During
>> install, the screen goes black with a blinking cursor in the top left and
>> the computer hangs. If I install the driver from safe mode, then the
>> driver installs ok, but on rebooting back to normal mode, the computer
>> hangs with a black screen.
>
> And why do you think that this is a problem with the drivers? FYI: all the
> 8x.xx drivers worked just fine on my computers. If they were faulty as you
> claim they wouldn't. But the fact that they work fine on millions of
> computer but not on yours should have brought you to the concolusion that
> it's a fault of your system or from you but definitely not the drivers
>
>> Drivers up to and including 78.05 work just great.
>>
>> For those who are interested, this is the relevant setup.
>>
>> Windows XP Professional.
>> Tyan S2466N-4M mainboard.
>> AMD 762 northbridge, AMD 768 southbridge
>> Dual Athlon-MP 2600+ CPUs
>> 2GB ECC registered RAM
>> BFG GF6800GT-OC 256MB AGP video card.
>>
>> The 81.98 driver will load with a GF4 4200ti card but not with the
>> 6800GT.
>
> Ever thought about that perhaps it's your video card that cases the
> problems? Certainly not.
>
>> Will they ever fix it so I can get the "improved dual CPU and dual core
>> performance"?
>
> Why should they fix what ain't broken?
>
> Benjamin

i think that it really is the 8x.xx driver Benjamin. Honest. There are too
many other problems related to this driver and dual core/dual socket
systems. It IS a new one, a rig not even starting with it though.
McG.

McGrandpa
December 25th 05, 07:14 PM
"John Lewis" > wrote in message
...
> On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 12:42:02 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> > wrote:
>
>>
>>"Eric Booth" > wrote in message
...
>>>
>>> "@sh" > wrote in message
>>> ...
>>>> The driver works fine...its your PC that doesn't!!!
>>>>
>>>> Try booting into safe mode, remove all current NVidia drivers, reboot
>>>> back into normal mode and try reinstalling them again.
>>>>
>>>> Cheers, Ash
>>> I have a Leadtek 7800GT card and Leadtek only recommend the 77.77
>>> driver.
>>> It is OK but as I have an Intel Dual core CPU I am puzzled that they
>>> dont
>>> recommend the latest nVidia driver
>>> Eric Booth
>>
>>Because there are problems with the nvidia 8x.xx drivers and dual core and
>>multi socket cpu's.
>
> Really ? I'm not quite sure what you mean by multi-socket ( .. server
> boards perhaps.. ?). However with a desktop/single-socket, multi-core
> CPU system, I haven't noticed anything traumatic.
>
> X2 4400+, 7800GTX/81.98, Win XP, A8N32-SLI (nForce4) Bios0502 or
> 0805.
>
> More likely a MB BIOS issue for those with problems.
>
> Software that doesn't do too well with HT is also likely to fail with
> dual-core. Use Set Affinity for such problems.
>
> John Lewis
>
>>McG.
>>
done that. tried several different workarounds. Best results are to roll
back to my 77.77 drivers. The problem I see the most (mostly because of the
Corel newsgroups inhabitants problems) is that with a dual core CPU and also
multi socket mainboard, nvidia 8x.xx drivers, Paint Shop Pro v's 9 and X
will not run with hardware acceleration ON in troubleshooting tab. No
problems running PSP 9 and X with 7x.xx drivers though. nvidias latest
release of 81.98 release notes state specifically that PSP X not running
with dual core cpu's is fixed. It is not.
McG.

De Moni
December 25th 05, 07:16 PM
Benjamin Gawert wrote:
> What problems should that be? The 8x.xx drivers work great on my Dual
> XEON system at home, and they also work flawlessly on the Dual XEON and
> Dual dualcore Opteron workstations at work...

So if they work for YOU they must work for everyone? I wonder why the
hell did they have to put some crappy feature like Direct Access into
8x.xx drivers? As long as it's there, making my monitor to lose the
signal every time resolution/refresh rate is changed, I'm stuck with
78.05. Unless my g'ol monitor goes BANG and I'll have to get a new one
that perhaps would work OK with that feature...

McGrandpa
December 25th 05, 07:20 PM
"Benjamin Gawert" > wrote in message
...
> McGrandpa schrieb:
>
>> Because there are problems with the nvidia 8x.xx drivers and dual core
>> and multi socket cpu's.
>
> What problems should that be? The 8x.xx drivers work great on my Dual XEON
> system at home, and they also work flawlessly on the Dual XEON and Dual
> dualcore Opteron workstations at work...
>
> Benjamin

Ok, with those drivers loaded with those systems, try installing or running
Paint Shop Pro 9 and/or X. I betcha it won't happen :)

I've read of several problems with the 8x.xx drivers and dual core cpu's,
but this is the only one I seem to have with them. Thing is, that's a
showstopper for me. I can run and do everything and anything I want to,
including playing the big games. But, I can't run PSP 9 and X, and I
usually run them side by side, scanning and working on images. I am with
my PSP's like a lot of folks are with PS CS/CS2. Gotta have it.
I wish I knew where exactly the problem was in those drivers. Not like I
could fix em though.
McG.

Benjamin Gawert
December 25th 05, 09:02 PM
De Moni schrieb:

>> What problems should that be? The 8x.xx drivers work great on my Dual
>> XEON system at home, and they also work flawlessly on the Dual XEON
>> and Dual dualcore Opteron workstations at work...
>
>
> So if they work for YOU they must work for everyone?

Well, if it doesn't work for everyone, it must be the fault of the driver?

The fact that the driver _does_ work for me and also other people as
well should show that the problems you have aren't necessarily the fault
of the driver. If the driver would be faulty it wouldn't work anywhere...

Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert
December 25th 05, 09:08 PM
McGrandpa schrieb:

> Ok, with those drivers loaded with those systems, try installing or running
> Paint Shop Pro 9 and/or X. I betcha it won't happen :)

I don't use PNP...

> I've read of several problems with the 8x.xx drivers and dual core cpu's,
> but this is the only one I seem to have with them. Thing is, that's a
> showstopper for me. I can run and do everything and anything I want to,
> including playing the big games. But, I can't run PSP 9 and X, and I
> usually run them side by side, scanning and working on images. I am with
> my PSP's like a lot of folks are with PS CS/CS2. Gotta have it.
> I wish I knew where exactly the problem was in those drivers.

It probably is a problem that PSP has with these drivers in combination
with multiple processors. Did you contact the PSP support regarding the
issue?

Benjamin

McGrandpa
December 26th 05, 01:38 AM
"Benjamin Gawert" > wrote in message
...
> McGrandpa schrieb:
>
>> Ok, with those drivers loaded with those systems, try installing or
>> running Paint Shop Pro 9 and/or X. I betcha it won't happen :)
>
> I don't use PNP...
>
>> I've read of several problems with the 8x.xx drivers and dual core cpu's,
>> but this is the only one I seem to have with them. Thing is, that's a
>> showstopper for me. I can run and do everything and anything I want to,
>> including playing the big games. But, I can't run PSP 9 and X, and I
>> usually run them side by side, scanning and working on images. I am
>> with my PSP's like a lot of folks are with PS CS/CS2. Gotta have it.
>> I wish I knew where exactly the problem was in those drivers.
>
> It probably is a problem that PSP has with these drivers in combination
> with multiple processors. Did you contact the PSP support regarding the
> issue?
>
> Benjamin

Of course. So have a few dozen others I've seen. Corel say it's nVidias
problem and to let them sort it out.
McG.

Benjamin Gawert
December 26th 05, 02:20 PM
McGrandpa schrieb:

>>It probably is a problem that PSP has with these drivers in combination
>>with multiple processors. Did you contact the PSP support regarding the
>>issue?
>>
>>Benjamin
>
>
> Of course. So have a few dozen others I've seen. Corel say it's nVidias
> problem and to let them sort it out.

Well, that's what the Corel support is usually known for ;-) Probably
PSP has issues with some of the new functions in the 8x.xx driver release.

I understand that people are angry because a program that worked before
doesn't work any more because of a new driver. But often enough it's not
as it seems to be. Just because PS doesn't work with 8x.xx drivers
doesn't mean that the fault is on the driver. It's more likely that
there is some error in PSP that only shows up with the new drivers. If
it would be a faulty driver, the fault would not be limited to PSP but
to other applications as well...

Benjamin

McGrandpa
December 26th 05, 03:22 PM
"Benjamin Gawert" > wrote in message
...
> McGrandpa schrieb:
>
>>>It probably is a problem that PSP has with these drivers in combination
>>>with multiple processors. Did you contact the PSP support regarding the
>>>issue?
>>>
>>>Benjamin
>>
>>
>> Of course. So have a few dozen others I've seen. Corel say it's nVidias
>> problem and to let them sort it out.
>
> Well, that's what the Corel support is usually known for ;-) Probably PSP
> has issues with some of the new functions in the 8x.xx driver release.
>
> I understand that people are angry because a program that worked before
> doesn't work any more because of a new driver. But often enough it's not
> as it seems to be. Just because PS doesn't work with 8x.xx drivers doesn't
> mean that the fault is on the driver. It's more likely that there is some
> error in PSP that only shows up with the new drivers. If it would be a
> faulty driver, the fault would not be limited to PSP but to other
> applications as well...
>
> Benjamin

I know this. And am fairly sure the problem is in the PSP 9 and X code, not
QUITE compliant with some CPU specs. But, no matter what I pointed out to
the Corel folks, they finally came and said that it is an nVidia driver
problem and they ain't fixin nuthin. Actually, I'm thinking it's something
lacking in the Python libraries, and neither JASC or Corel can fix that.
JASC is gone now, bought up by Corel. They aren't quite as 'user friendly'
a support crew.
I'll just keep trying each new 8x.xx driver until one works I guess.
McG.

John Lewis
December 26th 05, 09:52 PM
On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 14:22:57 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> wrote:

>
>"Benjamin Gawert" > wrote in message
...
>> McGrandpa schrieb:
>>
>>>>It probably is a problem that PSP has with these drivers in combination
>>>>with multiple processors. Did you contact the PSP support regarding the
>>>>issue?
>>>>
>>>>Benjamin
>>>
>>>
>>> Of course. So have a few dozen others I've seen. Corel say it's nVidias
>>> problem and to let them sort it out.
>>
>> Well, that's what the Corel support is usually known for ;-) Probably PSP
>> has issues with some of the new functions in the 8x.xx driver release.
>>
>> I understand that people are angry because a program that worked before
>> doesn't work any more because of a new driver. But often enough it's not
>> as it seems to be. Just because PS doesn't work with 8x.xx drivers doesn't
>> mean that the fault is on the driver. It's more likely that there is some
>> error in PSP that only shows up with the new drivers. If it would be a
>> faulty driver, the fault would not be limited to PSP but to other
>> applications as well...
>>
>> Benjamin
>
>I know this. And am fairly sure the problem is in the PSP 9 and X code, not
>QUITE compliant with some CPU specs. But, no matter what I pointed out to
>the Corel folks, they finally came and said that it is an nVidia driver
>problem and they ain't fixin nuthin. Actually, I'm thinking it's something
>lacking in the Python libraries, and neither JASC or Corel can fix that.
>JASC is gone now, bought up by Corel. They aren't quite as 'user friendly'
>a support crew.
>I'll just keep trying each new 8x.xx driver until one works I guess.
>McG.
>

Time to dump PSP. Obviously a very poorly supported program
incompatible with multiple-core/mutltiple-processor setups. Not
acceptable for a so-called "professional" program.

For a counter-example, I use Premiere Pro 1.5 ( multi-processor
support, of course) for my video work. Performs absolutely
flawlessly on my X2 /nForce 4 system, with any 8x.xx series
video driver (7800GTX).

John Lewis
>

McGrandpa
December 27th 05, 04:15 AM
"John Lewis" > wrote in message
...
> On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 14:22:57 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> > wrote:
>
>>
>>"Benjamin Gawert" > wrote in message
...
>>> McGrandpa schrieb:
>>>
>>>>>It probably is a problem that PSP has with these drivers in combination
>>>>>with multiple processors. Did you contact the PSP support regarding the
>>>>>issue?
>>>>>
>>>>>Benjamin
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Of course. So have a few dozen others I've seen. Corel say it's
>>>> nVidias
>>>> problem and to let them sort it out.
>>>
>>> Well, that's what the Corel support is usually known for ;-) Probably
>>> PSP
>>> has issues with some of the new functions in the 8x.xx driver release.
>>>
>>> I understand that people are angry because a program that worked before
>>> doesn't work any more because of a new driver. But often enough it's not
>>> as it seems to be. Just because PS doesn't work with 8x.xx drivers
>>> doesn't
>>> mean that the fault is on the driver. It's more likely that there is
>>> some
>>> error in PSP that only shows up with the new drivers. If it would be a
>>> faulty driver, the fault would not be limited to PSP but to other
>>> applications as well...
>>>
>>> Benjamin
>>
>>I know this. And am fairly sure the problem is in the PSP 9 and X code,
>>not
>>QUITE compliant with some CPU specs. But, no matter what I pointed out to
>>the Corel folks, they finally came and said that it is an nVidia driver
>>problem and they ain't fixin nuthin. Actually, I'm thinking it's
>>something
>>lacking in the Python libraries, and neither JASC or Corel can fix that.
>>JASC is gone now, bought up by Corel. They aren't quite as 'user
>>friendly'
>>a support crew.
>>I'll just keep trying each new 8x.xx driver until one works I guess.
>>McG.
>>
>
> Time to dump PSP. Obviously a very poorly supported program
> incompatible with multiple-core/mutltiple-processor setups. Not
> acceptable for a so-called "professional" program.
>
> For a counter-example, I use Premiere Pro 1.5 ( multi-processor
> support, of course) for my video work. Performs absolutely
> flawlessly on my X2 /nForce 4 system, with any 8x.xx series
> video driver (7800GTX).
>
> John Lewis
>>
>
PS CS2 runs fine with those drivers. So do several other graphics and 3D
apps I have. I just happen to LIKE PSP more. It's a lot easier and
faster to get around in. So, it's not time to dump PSP. There really
isn't anything that can compete with it, for my own use.
McG.

J. Clarke
December 29th 05, 04:13 PM
Benjamin Gawert wrote:

> De Moni schrieb:
>
>>> What problems should that be? The 8x.xx drivers work great on my Dual
>>> XEON system at home, and they also work flawlessly on the Dual XEON
>>> and Dual dualcore Opteron workstations at work...
>>
>>
>> So if they work for YOU they must work for everyone?
>
> Well, if it doesn't work for everyone, it must be the fault of the driver?
>
> The fact that the driver _does_ work for me and also other people as
> well should show that the problems you have aren't necessarily the fault
> of the driver. If the driver would be faulty it wouldn't work anywhere...

By this reasoning the bolt on the Pinto that punched a hole in the gas tank
in rear-end collisions wasn't faulty design.

All you've determined is that it works with at least two specific chipsets.

> Benjamin

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Benjamin Gawert
December 29th 05, 09:01 PM
J. Clarke schrieb:

>>The fact that the driver _does_ work for me and also other people as
>>well should show that the problems you have aren't necessarily the fault
>>of the driver. If the driver would be faulty it wouldn't work anywhere...
>
>
> By this reasoning the bolt on the Pinto that punched a hole in the gas tank
> in rear-end collisions wasn't faulty design.
>
> All you've determined is that it works with at least two specific chipsets.

Well, it's a bit more than two chipsets because I know these drivers
work with several chipsets (i7525, i850, i860, i7205, nForce 4 SLI,
nForce 4 Pro, i975, VIA KT133A, i440BX, i440LX) and GPUs (GF3,
GF4Ti4200, Q4 750XGL, Q4 980XGL, GF FX5200, GF FX5600, GF FX5950, GF
6800GT, GF 7800GTX, Quadro FX 1100, Quadro FX 1300, Quadro FX 1400,
Quadro FX 3400, Quadro FX 4400), and in combination with a bunch of
programs...

And to use your argument: all the OP has determined is that the drivers
don't work with his specific computer (the combination of hardware and
software). That's it.

Fact is: _if_ the 8x.xx drivers would be as buggy as the OP claims then
_everyone_ who uses these drivers would have these bugs, don't you
think? Or do you believe that Nvidia spreads these bugs only to some few
users? The fact that these drivers _do_ work for lots of people with
similar hardware shows clearly that the OPs problem is not a bug in the
driver (if it would be a bug it would affect _everyone_ with similar
hardware) but a problem with either his hardware or his software (or a
combination of both)...

And not to forget: if there would be serious issues with the 8x.xx
drivers, don't you think that there would be more complaints around in
newsgroups, forums and also in the media?

Benjamin

McGrandpa
December 30th 05, 01:22 AM
"Benjamin Gawert" > wrote in message
...
> J. Clarke schrieb:
>
>>>The fact that the driver _does_ work for me and also other people as
>>>well should show that the problems you have aren't necessarily the fault
>>>of the driver. If the driver would be faulty it wouldn't work anywhere...
>>
>>
>> By this reasoning the bolt on the Pinto that punched a hole in the gas
>> tank
>> in rear-end collisions wasn't faulty design.
>>
>> All you've determined is that it works with at least two specific
>> chipsets.
>
> Well, it's a bit more than two chipsets because I know these drivers work
> with several chipsets (i7525, i850, i860, i7205, nForce 4 SLI, nForce 4
> Pro, i975, VIA KT133A, i440BX, i440LX) and GPUs (GF3, GF4Ti4200, Q4
> 750XGL, Q4 980XGL, GF FX5200, GF FX5600, GF FX5950, GF 6800GT, GF 7800GTX,
> Quadro FX 1100, Quadro FX 1300, Quadro FX 1400, Quadro FX 3400, Quadro FX
> 4400), and in combination with a bunch of programs...
>
> And to use your argument: all the OP has determined is that the drivers
> don't work with his specific computer (the combination of hardware and
> software). That's it.
>
> Fact is: _if_ the 8x.xx drivers would be as buggy as the OP claims then
> _everyone_ who uses these drivers would have these bugs, don't you think?
> Or do you believe that Nvidia spreads these bugs only to some few users?
> The fact that these drivers _do_ work for lots of people with similar
> hardware shows clearly that the OPs problem is not a bug in the driver (if
> it would be a bug it would affect _everyone_ with similar hardware) but a
> problem with either his hardware or his software (or a combination of
> both)...

*EVERYONE* with a nvidia graphics card AND dual core (or dual cpu) AND runs
the nVidia 8x.xx drivers DOES find that Paint Shop Pro versions 9 and X
*WILL NOT RUN*. There have been NO exceptions to date.
Chipset doesn't matter. CPU brand doesn't matter.
McG.

>
> And not to forget: if there would be serious issues with the 8x.xx
> drivers, don't you think that there would be more complaints around in
> newsgroups, forums and also in the media?
>
> Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert
December 30th 05, 01:38 AM
McGrandpa schrieb:

>>And to use your argument: all the OP has determined is that the drivers
>>don't work with his specific computer (the combination of hardware and
>>software). That's it.
>>
>>Fact is: _if_ the 8x.xx drivers would be as buggy as the OP claims then
>>_everyone_ who uses these drivers would have these bugs, don't you think?
>>Or do you believe that Nvidia spreads these bugs only to some few users?
>>The fact that these drivers _do_ work for lots of people with similar
>>hardware shows clearly that the OPs problem is not a bug in the driver (if
>>it would be a bug it would affect _everyone_ with similar hardware) but a
>>problem with either his hardware or his software (or a combination of
>>both)...
>
>
> *EVERYONE* with a nvidia graphics card AND dual core (or dual cpu) AND runs
> the nVidia 8x.xx drivers DOES find that Paint Shop Pro versions 9 and X
> *WILL NOT RUN*. There have been NO exceptions to date.
> Chipset doesn't matter. CPU brand doesn't matter.

Strange, I can't find the part where the OP has problems with running
PSP... ;-)

And to the PSP problem: I know that everyone who uses the 8x.xx drivers
and multiple cores/cpus has a problem with PSP. But this is probaby
related to a bug inside PSP and not in the 8x.xx drivers...

Benjamin

McGrandpa
December 30th 05, 06:44 AM
"Benjamin Gawert" > wrote in message
...
> McGrandpa schrieb:
>
>>>And to use your argument: all the OP has determined is that the drivers
>>>don't work with his specific computer (the combination of hardware and
>>>software). That's it.
>>>
>>>Fact is: _if_ the 8x.xx drivers would be as buggy as the OP claims then
>>>_everyone_ who uses these drivers would have these bugs, don't you think?
>>>Or do you believe that Nvidia spreads these bugs only to some few users?
>>>The fact that these drivers _do_ work for lots of people with similar
>>>hardware shows clearly that the OPs problem is not a bug in the driver
>>>(if it would be a bug it would affect _everyone_ with similar hardware)
>>>but a problem with either his hardware or his software (or a combination
>>>of both)...
>>
>>
>> *EVERYONE* with a nvidia graphics card AND dual core (or dual cpu) AND
>> runs the nVidia 8x.xx drivers DOES find that Paint Shop Pro versions 9
>> and X *WILL NOT RUN*. There have been NO exceptions to date.
>> Chipset doesn't matter. CPU brand doesn't matter.
>
> Strange, I can't find the part where the OP has problems with running
> PSP... ;-)

Looking back through the thread, you'd have to be speaking about the threads
originator?

>
> And to the PSP problem: I know that everyone who uses the 8x.xx drivers
> and multiple cores/cpus has a problem with PSP. But this is probaby
> related to a bug inside PSP and not in the 8x.xx drivers...
>
> Benjamin

And a number of us are still trying to coax Corel into taking *some*
responsibility for the issue and patch their code, and quit passing the
frickin buck. The bad part is that PSP 9 is no longer being patched as it
is replaced by PSP X which is not finding much acceptance with the
established PSP user base. It's PSP X that will be patched.
McG.