PDA

View Full Version : 6600GT distortion

JimboG
December 19th 05, 02:18 AM
I have an MSI card in a MSI GA-K8N MB, latest drivers, etc. The cursor has
some distortion around it in a roughly rectangular shape. Also there can be
some latent images on the desktop after an area has been clicked on. I
thought I saw a card setting that could be adjusted to resolve this but I
haven't found anything on the NVIDIA or MSI site. Ideas or support links?
Thanks.

Highlandish
December 19th 05, 07:47 AM
Quoth The Raven; JimboG > in

>I have an MSI card in a MSI GA-K8N MB, latest drivers, etc. The
> cursor has some distortion around it in a roughly rectangular shape. Also
> there can be some latent images on the desktop after an area has
> been clicked on. I thought I saw a card setting that could be
> adjusted to resolve this but I haven't found anything on the NVIDIA
> or MSI site. Ideas or support links? Thanks.

more info is needed, however I suspect that is a monitor "NVIDIA direct
access" feature changing your resolution/refresh rate out of the monitors
abilities if the function has incorrectly found your monitor. you can use
the below fix even if this doesn't turn out to be the problem, this is a
beta feature included in the latest drivers and doesn't have any real use to
people right now (it allows you to set monitor features via a GUI rather
than the buttons on the monitor)

the fix:

NVIDIA Direct Access is a new feature of forceware 8x.xx that allows to
control monitor settings within the drivers control panel. Unfortunately
it's bugged and causes lots of problems to some users because every time the
driver control panel is accessed it resets the monitor configs to defaults.

For all those who have troubles with NVIDIA Direct Access resetting the
monitor config, here is a simple fix...

After installing the drivers go in Windows\System32 and delete/rename the
following files:

nvmccs.dll
nvmccsrs.dll

....and the NVIDIA Direct Access will be history.

--
Remove the _CURSEING to reply to me

There are two kinds of women in the world - The ones who like
chocolate.... and.... Complete bitches - Dawn French

JimboG
December 19th 05, 02:48 PM
Tried your fix but no luck. I'm convinced the card is flakey. I failed to
mention I had the same symptoms on a CRT and LCD using both digital and
analog inputs on the LCD (ViewSonic VP191b). I filled out a problem form
for MSI and will FAX it over today to see what they can do for me. First
time in 20 years I had a bad video card. NVIDIA based cards always seemed
to be pretty dependable.

"Highlandish" > wrote in message
> Quoth The Raven; JimboG > in
> >
>>I have an MSI card in a MSI GA-K8N MB, latest drivers, etc. The
>> cursor has some distortion around it in a roughly rectangular shape. Also
>> there can be some latent images on the desktop after an area has
>> been clicked on. I thought I saw a card setting that could be
>> adjusted to resolve this but I haven't found anything on the NVIDIA
>> or MSI site. Ideas or support links? Thanks.
>
> more info is needed, however I suspect that is a monitor "NVIDIA direct
> access" feature changing your resolution/refresh rate out of the monitors
> abilities if the function has incorrectly found your monitor. you can use
> the below fix even if this doesn't turn out to be the problem, this is a
> beta feature included in the latest drivers and doesn't have any real use
> to people right now (it allows you to set monitor features via a GUI
> rather than the buttons on the monitor)
>
> the fix:
>
> NVIDIA Direct Access is a new feature of forceware 8x.xx that allows to
> control monitor settings within the drivers control panel. Unfortunately
> it's bugged and causes lots of problems to some users because every time
> the
> driver control panel is accessed it resets the monitor configs to
> defaults.
>
> For all those who have troubles with NVIDIA Direct Access resetting the
> monitor config, here is a simple fix...
>
> After installing the drivers go in Windows\System32 and delete/rename the
> following files:
>
> nvmccs.dll
> nvmccsrs.dll
>
> ...and the NVIDIA Direct Access will be history.
>

> --
> Remove the _CURSEING to reply to me
>
> There are two kinds of women in the world - The ones who like
> chocolate.... and.... Complete bitches - Dawn French

Highlandish
December 19th 05, 10:20 PM
Quoth The Raven; JimboG > in

> Tried your fix but no luck. I'm convinced the card is flakey. I
> failed to mention I had the same symptoms on a CRT and LCD using both
> digital and analog inputs on the LCD (ViewSonic VP191b). I filled
> out a problem form for MSI and will FAX it over today to see what
> they can do for me. First time in 20 years I had a bad video card. NVIDIA
> based cards always seemed to be pretty dependable.

I bought this one and a 256mg XFX card as the primary one. I had no end of
troubles making them match up as they are of different memory types, they
didn't want to SLI, let alone give me a display. turned out I had the peg2
set as primary init display in the bios instead of peg, and I needed to add
"coolbits value 18" in the registry, and then delete the 2 files from NVIDIA
direct access and all is well.
--
Remove the _CURSEING to reply to me

Some people keep repeating the same mistakes over and over and call it
experience.