PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running 64 bit linux on the GA-K8N Ultra-9

December 15th 05, 05:59 AM
I have the mobo working fine under Windows x64, and would like to
install Linux. Yes, I know I can look at every distribution of Linux to
figure this out, but their is nothing like hearing from someone who has
it working for real.

I'm running an AMD64 4400 (dual core).

Doug McLaren
December 30th 05, 08:14 PM
In article om>,
> wrote:

| I have the mobo working fine under Windows x64, and would like to
| install Linux. Yes, I know I can look at every distribution of Linux to
| figure this out, but their is nothing like hearing from someone who has
| it working for real.

I am, on two computers. Works great.

The only problems are really administrative, as 64 bit executables
need 64 bit libraries, and 32 bit exectuables need 32 bit libraries.
So you usually have two copies of every library, one 32 bit and one 64
bit, with the 32 bit ones for running 32 bit code.

You'll probably have to compile mplayer and firefox in 32 bit mode so
you can load Windows DLLs and flash respectively, for example.

| I'm running an AMD64 4400 (dual core).

I'm doing it on a dual core chip and a single core chip. Both work
well. The dual core chip runs Linux 24/7.

--
Doug McLaren, Eat right, stay fit, and die anyway.