PDA

View Full Version : memory upgrade...pc won't boot!

December 15th 05, 12:53 AM
I've recently bought a 1G DDR 3200 400Mhz memory chip from
FastMemoryMan (advertised on EBay). The module works fine on its own
but if I add the original 512Mb chip (DDR 3200 400Mhz) the PC starts
beeping and won't boot.
I've tried every possible permutation without success. The Motherboard
(a Gigabyte GA-k8vt800(Pro)) only accept 1 chip (data specs says max
RAM 3Giga).
What can I do to make the system accept both chips and run at 1.5Giga?

Any suggestion appreciated.

Thanks

Alex.

Mal
December 15th 05, 09:37 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I've recently bought a 1G DDR 3200 400Mhz memory chip from
> FastMemoryMan (advertised on EBay). The module works fine on its own
> but if I add the original 512Mb chip (DDR 3200 400Mhz) the PC starts
> beeping and won't boot.
> I've tried every possible permutation without success. The Motherboard
> (a Gigabyte GA-k8vt800(Pro)) only accept 1 chip (data specs says max
> RAM 3Giga).
> What can I do to make the system accept both chips and run at 1.5Giga?
>
> Any suggestion appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Alex.

are both dimms either single or double sided? ... looking at the manual
that's the only thing I can see that the mobo wouldn't be happy about ...
or
maybe bios update?

Mal

It has removed 3810 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

December 16th 05, 12:25 AM
How to tell if a memory chip is double/single sided? Chips on both
sides? That's what I see...so I guess both are both double sided.
The 1G module is high density as advertised by FastMemoryMan's and I
have no idea if there is a connection between double sided and high
density memory nor if the 512MB is high density too.

Jody
December 16th 05, 11:29 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I've recently bought a 1G DDR 3200 400Mhz memory chip from
> FastMemoryMan (advertised on EBay). The module works fine on its own
> but if I add the original 512Mb chip (DDR 3200 400Mhz) the PC starts
> beeping and won't boot.
> I've tried every possible permutation without success. The Motherboard
> (a Gigabyte GA-k8vt800(Pro)) only accept 1 chip (data specs says max
> RAM 3Giga).
> What can I do to make the system accept both chips and run at 1.5Giga?

Looking at kingston, it says this:
This system only supports 4 ranks of 400MHz DDR memory. If two double-ranked
DIMMs are used, the 3rd socket is disabled.

Have you tried avoiding this socket?

Jo

December 19th 05, 02:29 PM
Well, as I've mentioned, I've tried all permutations...except for the
one using the extreme sockets only (1 and 3).
On another site I've read that mixing different makes of memory is a
bit of a gamble as compatibility isn't guaranteed.
This is also the answer I've just got from the seller
(fastmemoryman)...this wasn't mentioned in their advert and it looks
like I have to ditch the original memory chip of 512Mb.
Fastmemoryman customer's care stinks anyhow...and if anyone out there
is going to buy memory chips on the web I'd rather suggest to double
check the seller and choose those who offer the lowest shipment
charges.

Fastmemoryman customer care is very simple:
if you aren't happy just send it back and they'll refund the value of
the chip only, not the shipment of 14. For every unhappy customer
they make about 13 because the actual mail postage was less than 1.

I'll use a local dealer next time!

old man
December 23rd 05, 09:06 PM
You'd probably find it just as cost effective to buy direct from Crucial /
Corsair / Kingston eg

oups.com...