PDA

View Full Version : BFG 6600 GT OC installation problems

bombaj
December 12th 05, 02:03 AM
Hi,
I bought the above card to replace my old Radeon (the original 32 meg
card). Before installing the new card, I delete all ATI drivers and
set the screen resolution to the lowest available - 800x600x16 bit.
However, the new card prevents windows from loading. I booted in safe
more and the boot hangs at "agp440.sys" and will not go further. I
have upgraded my m/b drivers and messed with the bios a bit but no
difference. My specs:

P4 3gig
Asus P4P 800 SE
1 gig ram
3 HD's
1 firewire card
1 Dell 24" LCD
350 Antec PSU

When I put my Radeon back in, the system boots fine. Although I did
notice one strange anomaly; when booting from the Radeon with the Dell
LCD (DVI) I get garbage on the screen until the windows screen comes
up. When I use a CRT (ANALAGUE) I can see the bios screen.
When booting with the 6600 and Dell LCD or CRT, I get the bios sceen no
problem. Weird.
Anyways...I know that many users have experienced the agp440.sys but so
far, I wasn't able to solve my problem. Any ideas?

Could it be my PSU not being powerful enough? Also, the m/b manual
says that it will only work with 1.5V cards, not 3.0V cards. Is the
6600 3.0V's?

bombaj

Lenster
December 12th 05, 02:40 AM
On 11 Dec 2005 17:03:40 -0800, "bombaj" > wrote:

>Hi,
>I bought the above card to replace my old Radeon (the original 32 meg
>card). Before installing the new card, I delete all ATI drivers and
>set the screen resolution to the lowest available - 800x600x16 bit.
>However, the new card prevents windows from loading. I booted in safe
>more and the boot hangs at "agp440.sys" and will not go further. I
>have upgraded my m/b drivers and messed with the bios a bit but no
>difference. My specs:
>
>P4 3gig
>Asus P4P 800 SE
>1 gig ram
>3 HD's
>1 firewire card
>1 Dell 24" LCD
>350 Antec PSU
>
>When I put my Radeon back in, the system boots fine. Although I did
>notice one strange anomaly; when booting from the Radeon with the Dell
>LCD (DVI) I get garbage on the screen until the windows screen comes
>up. When I use a CRT (ANALAGUE) I can see the bios screen.
>When booting with the 6600 and Dell LCD or CRT, I get the bios sceen no
>problem. Weird.
>Anyways...I know that many users have experienced the agp440.sys but so
>far, I wasn't able to solve my problem. Any ideas?
>
>Could it be my PSU not being powerful enough? Also, the m/b manual
>says that it will only work with 1.5V cards, not 3.0V cards. Is the
>6600 3.0V's?
>
>bombaj
If you can get into the bios and view the bios settings, I suspect the
card is working fine. So I don't think you need to worry about the
voltage issue. I suspect the problem may be leftover vestiges of ATI
drivers. Hopefully, someone can help out with that since I have no ATI
experience.
Lenster

You know you've been on the computer too long when...
You start double clicking the TV remote!

Remove YourNightgown to reply by email

bombaj
December 12th 05, 05:15 AM
Hm, I deleted the ATI drivers using add/remove programs and after that
went into system settings (control panel - system - hardware - device
manager - delete leftover windows generic driver - reboot). I guess I
need to get into the registry but I'm not comfortable with doing that.
Is anything available that will clean it?

bombaj

OldFartJC
December 12th 05, 05:56 AM
"bombaj" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hm, I deleted the ATI drivers using add/remove programs and after that
> went into system settings (control panel - system - hardware - device
> manager - delete leftover windows generic driver - reboot). I guess I
> need to get into the registry but I'm not comfortable with doing that.
> Is anything available that will clean it?
>
> bombaj

You should just download Driver Cleaner 3 and follow the instructions. Just
do a Google search. It will remove all of the ATI driver stuff from the
registry.

bombaj
December 12th 05, 03:05 PM
Thanks dude, I will give it a try tonight.

bombaj