PDA

View Full Version : K8NS Ultra-939 - Why no +5v readout?

Wad
November 29th 05, 11:15 PM
Hi,

K8NS Ultra-939 - Why no +5v readout? The BIOS only shows 3.3. and 12v
and combined. My 5v rail is also all over the place (e.g. 2.17 up to
5.4) using mbm5 and Speedfan, yet the computer is stable and my 5v
rail is good using a multimeter. I thought it was a bad board so I
RMA it and its the same on the new board.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Wad

Ed Light
November 30th 05, 02:07 AM
My K8NS-939 is the same.
Also it doesn't show the system temperature.
Happily, in testing it with low low multipliers in order to see how high it
itself could go it got to a clock of 310 and ran prime95 ok for 5 minutes.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Wad
November 30th 05, 07:38 AM
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:07:28 -0800, "Ed Light" >
wrote:

>My K8NS-939 is the same.
>Also it doesn't show the system temperature.
>Happily, in testing it with low low multipliers in order to see how high it
>itself could go it got to a clock of 310 and ran prime95 ok for 5 minutes.

Hi Ed,

Are you saying your 5v rail also gives false fluctuating readings?
Strange that the 5v rail is not indicated in the BIOS.

I like the Giga-byte board, its stable, but its not as nice as my MSI
K8N Neo 4 FI.

Thanks for your input!

Wad

Ed Light
November 30th 05, 08:28 AM
In Everest it doesn't show a 5v. In Sandra it shows the wildly fluctuating
one.

An interesting thing in Everest is that it shows a motherboard sensor, which
is at 24C while the cpu is at 29C. The Gigabyte EasyTune 5 agreed with the
cpu temperature.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

McGrandpa
December 1st 05, 02:38 AM
"Wad" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:07:28 -0800, "Ed Light" >
> wrote:
>
>>My K8NS-939 is the same.
>>Also it doesn't show the system temperature.
>>Happily, in testing it with low low multipliers in order to see how high
>>it
>>itself could go it got to a clock of 310 and ran prime95 ok for 5 minutes.
>

> Hi Ed,
>
> Are you saying your 5v rail also gives false fluctuating readings?
> Strange that the 5v rail is not indicated in the BIOS.
>
> I like the Giga-byte board, its stable, but its not as nice as my MSI
> K8N Neo 4 FI.
>
> Thanks for your input!
>
> Wad

Hi Wad,
I have the K8NS Ultra 939, with X2 4800+ and 2 x 1g DDR400. The
motherboard doesn't show a sensor for a 5V rail. Mine shows +3.3 and +12.
And CPU Core at 1.36. All hold steady. Everest Home edition shows me the
same voltages, CPU temp, CPU and PS fans that I see in the BIOS. It also
shows me GPU temp and ambient and HD temps where they have a sensor.
There is no 5v rail sensor. The 5V is sourced from the 12V rails through
IC voltage regulators on the busses.
MBM- it's showing a wildly fluctuating voltage for 5v because there isn't a
sensor for 5v that i know of.
This board IS very stable, I can't complain about it so far. The next s939
board will be PCI-e though. The only reason I got this one is so I could
use my GT6800 for a while longer :) It gave me the opportunity to play with
the X2 4800+ and 6800GT together for a while.
McG.

Wad
December 1st 05, 06:25 AM
>Hi Wad,
>I have the K8NS Ultra 939, with X2 4800+ and 2 x 1g DDR400. The
>motherboard doesn't show a sensor for a 5V rail. Mine shows +3.3 and +12.
>And CPU Core at 1.36. All hold steady. Everest Home edition shows me the
>same voltages, CPU temp, CPU and PS fans that I see in the BIOS. It also
>shows me GPU temp and ambient and HD temps where they have a sensor.
>There is no 5v rail sensor. The 5V is sourced from the 12V rails through
>IC voltage regulators on the busses.
>MBM- it's showing a wildly fluctuating voltage for 5v because there isn't a
>sensor for 5v that i know of.
>This board IS very stable, I can't complain about it so far. The next s939
>board will be PCI-e though. The only reason I got this one is so I could
>use my GT6800 for a while longer :) It gave me the opportunity to play with
>the X2 4800+ and 6800GT together for a while.
>McG.

Thanks,

I figured as much, but its strange that there is no independent sensor
for the 5v rail. Does Gigabyte figure its not important?

My MSI 8KN Neo4 Fi (Nforce 4) still shows a readout for the 5v rail.
Is Gigabyte trying to cut corners here?

Wad

Ed Light
December 1st 05, 09:48 AM
> I figured as much, but its strange that there is no independent sensor
> for the 5v rail. Does Gigabyte figure its not important?

It's very strange and unusual. You could e-mail support and ask them.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

McGrandpa
December 1st 05, 01:06 PM
"Wad" > wrote in message

>>Hi Wad,
>>I have the K8NS Ultra 939, with X2 4800+ and 2 x 1g DDR400. The
>>motherboard doesn't show a sensor for a 5V rail. Mine shows +3.3 and
>>+12.
>>And CPU Core at 1.36. All hold steady. Everest Home edition shows me
>>the
>>same voltages, CPU temp, CPU and PS fans that I see in the BIOS. It also
>>shows me GPU temp and ambient and HD temps where they have a sensor.
>>There is no 5v rail sensor. The 5V is sourced from the 12V rails through
>>IC voltage regulators on the busses.
>>MBM- it's showing a wildly fluctuating voltage for 5v because there isn't
>>sensor for 5v that i know of.
>>This board IS very stable, I can't complain about it so far. The next
>>s939
>>board will be PCI-e though. The only reason I got this one is so I could
>>use my GT6800 for a while longer :) It gave me the opportunity to play
>>with
>>the X2 4800+ and 6800GT together for a while.
>>McG.
>>

> Thanks,
>
> I figured as much, but its strange that there is no independent sensor
> for the 5v rail. Does Gigabyte figure its not important?
>
> My MSI 8KN Neo4 Fi (Nforce 4) still shows a readout for the 5v rail.
> Is Gigabyte trying to cut corners here?
>
> Wad

I don't know. The ps definitely has 5v lines. The mobo has its own vr ic's
for 5v, rather than take the 5v right from the cable? I think I'd still
have the sensor, me. But I don't see it anywhere if it is there. Other
Gigabyte mobos I have do have that voltage sensor.
McG.