PDA

View Full Version : Newby just arrived.

josoap
November 27th 05, 06:38 PM
Hi Folks I have got a problem I could do with a bit of help on. My Mobo
is a GA-7NNXP. In the book it reckons I can update my AMD Athlon 1.10
socket A to a 64bit CPU. I dont think I have 900+ pins. I cannot find
a Socket A AMD Athlon. Any help please.

Jo.

McGrandpa
November 28th 05, 12:45 AM
"josoap" > wrote in message
> Hi Folks I have got a problem I could do with a bit of help on. My Mobo
> is a GA-7NNXP. In the book it reckons I can update my AMD Athlon 1.10
> socket A to a 64bit CPU. I dont think I have 900+ pins. I cannot find a
> Socket A AMD Athlon. Any help please.
>
> Jo.

http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7NNXP.htm

The manufacturers website is usually a good place to start. There is a page
like this for all their motherboards. gee, 2 years ago that was a pretty
advanced mobo.
When that page comes up, just look at the list in blue text on the mid left
and click on CPU Support List. It shows you all the supported CPU's for
that mobo.
HTH,
McG.

jpsga
November 28th 05, 05:08 AM
"josoap" > wrote in message
> Hi Folks I have got a problem I could do with a bit of help on. My Mobo
> is a GA-7NNXP. In the book it reckons I can update my AMD Athlon 1.10
> socket A to a 64bit CPU. I dont think I have 900+ pins. I cannot find a
> Socket A AMD Athlon. Any help please.
>
> Jo.

Go to the K7 Semprom 3000.
JPS

davidfowler2000
November 29th 05, 08:34 PM
They don't, and never did make 64bit CPUs on the old Socket A platform
why they say it in the book i have no idea. Perhaps they are talking
about 64bit memory data / address bus??

Anyways like jpsga says, that board will go to a Sempron 3000+ which
would perform pretty well compared to your Athlon 1100. If you don't
know about the Sempron, it's basically stuck somewhere between the
Duron and the Athlon XP. For example a Sempron 2000 would perform
better than a Duron 2000 but not as well as an XP2000.

If i were you i would try to find an XP3200+ to max out the board.
Still a very good CPU. Finding one is a problem however eBay would be
your best bet. Never buy an "Untested" one. 99% of the time an
untested CPU is someone making money by buying a known gubbed CPU and
reselling it as untested.

josoap
November 29th 05, 09:35 PM
"davidfowler2000" > wrote in message
. ..
> They don't, and never did make 64bit CPUs on the old Socket A platform
> why they say it in the book i have no idea. Perhaps they are talking
> about 64bit memory data / address bus??
>
> Anyways like jpsga says, that board will go to a Sempron 3000+ which
> would perform pretty well compared to your Athlon 1100. If you don't
> know about the Sempron, it's basically stuck somewhere between the
> Duron and the Athlon XP. For example a Sempron 2000 would perform
> better than a Duron 2000 but not as well as an XP2000.
>
> If i were you i would try to find an XP3200+ to max out the board.
> Still a very good CPU. Finding one is a problem however eBay would be
> your best bet. Never buy an "Untested" one. 99% of the time an
> untested CPU is someone making money by buying a known gubbed CPU and
> reselling it as untested.
Thx for the info David, I have decided to go 64 bit, it's only money.
Could you tell anything about the 'round' type connections for the HD's,
CD/DVD and Floppy drives. My drives have 80 wire for UDMA drives. Is it
possible to get round cables that have 80 wires.
Thx. Jo

plowak
January 2nd 06, 10:51 PM
All IDE round connectors are 80 wire. Check out the product description at
Newegg.com under accessories, cables. If fac ,as a newbie, you can find
quite an education at Newegg, browsing product the description and the buyer
comments sections.

Have fun,

plowak