PDA

View Full Version : Water on my motherboard - GA 8INXP / ASUS P5WD2 Premium

Probe
November 26th 05, 02:34 AM
I had a small incident where my place flooded in and water reached the
lower section of 2 of my motherboards when fixed on tower casings, the
PCs were both turned off when this happened and I quickly moved them to
higher ground. I have since then evaporated the water using a hair
dryer and a high speed blower and set the motherboards out to dry for 2
days. I pluged them in yesterday and both boards don't seem to start
up.

Does this mean that they are both damaged? Would I have done the damage
when I plugged them in and powered up yesterday? Should I have waited
for a longer period of time before powering them up? Is there any
chance of getting them to work if I let them dry out some more?

I was using these 2 boards on 2 Video editing systems.

1) Gigabyte 8INXP - (i7205)
I was using the onboard Promise IDE RAID in standard ATA mode to have
four 120GB Maxtor HHDs run a software RAID through disk stripe in
Windows 2000 Disk Administrator. Is there any way I can retrieve the
data?

2) ASUS P5WD2 Premium - (i955X)
Was using the onboard Intel SATA RAID in ATA mode to run a 2 drive
software RAID in Windows XP. Any Idea how this data can be retrieved?

Any suggestions on how to get these boards working if possible would be
appreciated. If the boards are dead how would I go about getting the
data on the software RAID? I was thinking if in a worst case scenario
to replace the boards with identical boards, this is possible for the
ASUS P5WD2 Premium as it is available for sale, but the Gigabyte 8INXP
is not longer available and I can't seem to find one for sale anywhere
yet. Please help.

Thanks

Mercury
November 27th 05, 06:58 AM
Switching it on could have stuffed the board, but there is no point in
crying over spilt milk is there?

I had this happen. Wash the board in distilled water preferably only the
portion affected. Use lots of it and wash oce or twice then rinse at least
twice. If that doesn't work the boards were stuffed.

Don't force dry, drip dry slowly to get as much disolved kuck away from the
board before it dries. Use a hair dryer without any heat to blow droplets
away+Force drying will leave conductive salts behind. Consider using water
softener (not the oil based washing machine clothes softener that will ruin
everything). The stuff I a m referring to helps dissolve calcium (etc)
deposits and is a white / transparent crystal costing about 1-2$ for a pound
IE its cheap. Don't use the crystals in the rinses, only the first wash, use
warm water - don't use a kettle or pot to warm it as it will add gunk.
Microwave in a clean plastic bowl and have it luke warm. Rinse everything
with distlled water / softener before you start to get rid of trace
detergents.

Worked for me although the board was slightly intemittent afterwards.

Claim insurance?

oups.com...