PDA

View Full Version : Hottest CPU for GA-7N400 Pro2?

William C
November 22nd 05, 09:26 PM
I have GA-7N400 Pro2 with a Athalon XP+ 2700 CPU. I have had it for a
couple of years and would like to see if I could get a little more kick
without upgrading the entire system. I am thinking about upgrading the
CPU and putting in the fastest CPU the motherboard will support. My
thought is that I can do this for a couple of hundred bucks and I won't
have to replace/reinstall everything.

What got me started was disappointing performance. When I got this
system it was much faster than my previous system. But 6 months ago my
company bought me a new work PC, with an Intel 3.2 Ghz HT CPU that makes
my system look like it's tied to a stump. My benchmark is based on
general system feel, and how long it takes to process SETI packets.

I figured some was the faster CPU, perhaps some was faster RAM or
whatever. I recently was given a flood damaged system. Everything was
ruined except for the CPU, floppy and CD. I decided to upgrade my kids
system so I bought a $60 motherboard and stuck the P4 2.8 Ghz CPU in it.

Now I am really disappointed. This system also seems MUCH faster than
mine.

Average SETI packet times:
- My 2700 XP+ = 12-18 hours.
- Work 3.2 Ghz HT = 3 hours.
- Kids 2.8 Ghz HT = 3.5 hours.

Other things like image editing also seem much quicker on the Intel based
systems. I wasn't so depressed when it was 3.2 vs 2700, but 2700 vs 2.8
shouldn't be so dramatic.

Now I have been a fan of the AMD CPU's for many years, but now I am
starting to rethink things. Right now I don't want to spend the time or
money on a new system.

I am hoping that upgrading the CPU can help, so I guess I have 2
questions:

1. Will upgrading the CPU alone do much, or am I limited by other things
like the MB or RAM?

2. When I upgrade the entire system next time should I jump to Intel?

jpsga
November 24th 05, 06:03 AM
"William C" > wrote in message
. ..
>I have GA-7N400 Pro2 with a Athalon XP+ 2700 CPU. I have had it for a
> couple of years and would like to see if I could get a little more kick
> without upgrading the entire system. I am thinking about upgrading the
> CPU and putting in the fastest CPU the motherboard will support. My
> thought is that I can do this for a couple of hundred bucks and I won't
> have to replace/reinstall everything.
>
> What got me started was disappointing performance. When I got this
> system it was much faster than my previous system. But 6 months ago my
> company bought me a new work PC, with an Intel 3.2 Ghz HT CPU that makes
> my system look like it's tied to a stump. My benchmark is based on
> general system feel, and how long it takes to process SETI packets.
>
> I figured some was the faster CPU, perhaps some was faster RAM or
> whatever. I recently was given a flood damaged system. Everything was
> ruined except for the CPU, floppy and CD. I decided to upgrade my kids
> system so I bought a $60 motherboard and stuck the P4 2.8 Ghz CPU in it.
>
> Now I am really disappointed. This system also seems MUCH faster than
> mine.
>
> Average SETI packet times:
> - My 2700 XP+ = 12-18 hours.
> - Work 3.2 Ghz HT = 3 hours.
> - Kids 2.8 Ghz HT = 3.5 hours.
>
> Other things like image editing also seem much quicker on the Intel based
> systems. I wasn't so depressed when it was 3.2 vs 2700, but 2700 vs 2.8
> shouldn't be so dramatic.
>
> Now I have been a fan of the AMD CPU's for many years, but now I am
> starting to rethink things. Right now I don't want to spend the time or
> money on a new system.
>
> I am hoping that upgrading the CPU can help, so I guess I have 2
> questions:
>
> 1. Will upgrading the CPU alone do much, or am I limited by other things
> like the MB or RAM?
>
> 2. When I upgrade the entire system next time should I jump to Intel?

With a 6 to 1 ( or 4 to 1) difference in the timings I would look very hard
at my current system. Assuming that the software is the same.

Set up on the pro2 can be confusing .

Perhaps you could compare notes on this group. Specifically where
multipliers are set, where sw1 is set ,use of DUAL Channel, read outs from
Easy Tune 4, and BIOS settings and the installed memory.

While the 3.2 is new and hot, it is not that good on through-put and is
expensive.

The fastest Athlon (Barton core) is the 3200 using PC3200 or better in the
dual mode.

If you do upgrade consider the a 64bit CPU with 939 pins. Although these AMD
parts out perform the 3.2, don't look for any miracles.

I have two of these boards and they run with the best.

Jim

William C
November 24th 05, 07:20 PM
OK tuning my existing CPU is interesting. I had tried to do some tuning
when I first got the system. A friend was helping and we thought we got
the best performance we could. I am not really into tuning and would
like to know more. Can you point me to some docs/guidelines for the AMD
Athlon XP 2700+ and/or the GA-7N400 Pro 2 Rev. 2.0?

As far as going to a 64 bit CPU or something, here is my hesitation:
Changing to a 64bit CPU will require a new motherboard which probably
means 3 or 4 days of reinstalling software. The new motherboard will
probably not take my existing RAM, so that means more money. Next the
new MB probably won't have an AGP slot which means another $300 for a new
PCI express video card. Then it will probably only have 1 IDE interface
which I will have to use for the DVD and Tape drive, so I will have to
buy another 250 GB SATA drive...

You see the problem. Generally I like to keep my system as long as I can
then buy the best system I can afford. I like to be able to at least
double the system performance when I upgrade which means that I usually
get a new system every 2-3 years. I am reaching that point now, but just
wanted to see if I could stretch the system out a little more. Actually
with Katrina and no pay checks for almost 2 months finances are a little
tight... I am not crying or anything but I don't want to spend $1500 on
a new system right now, but I wouldn't mind spending $200-300 on a new
CPU for my existing MB.

Back to the point, where can I get some info on tuning? Most of my
searches have not returned any useful info.

jpsga
November 25th 05, 12:37 AM
"William C" > wrote in message
. ..
> OK tuning my existing CPU is interesting. I had tried to do some tuning
> when I first got the system. A friend was helping and we thought we got
> the best performance we could. I am not really into tuning and would
> like to know more. Can you point me to some docs/guidelines for the AMD
> Athlon XP 2700+ and/or the GA-7N400 Pro 2 Rev. 2.0?
>
> As far as going to a 64 bit CPU or something, here is my hesitation:
> Changing to a 64bit CPU will require a new motherboard which probably
> means 3 or 4 days of reinstalling software. The new motherboard will
> probably not take my existing RAM, so that means more money. Next the
> new MB probably won't have an AGP slot which means another $300 for a new
> PCI express video card. Then it will probably only have 1 IDE interface
> which I will have to use for the DVD and Tape drive, so I will have to
> buy another 250 GB SATA drive...
>
> You see the problem. Generally I like to keep my system as long as I can
> then buy the best system I can afford. I like to be able to at least
> double the system performance when I upgrade which means that I usually
> get a new system every 2-3 years. I am reaching that point now, but just
> wanted to see if I could stretch the system out a little more. Actually
> with Katrina and no pay checks for almost 2 months finances are a little
> tight... I am not crying or anything but I don't want to spend $1500 on
> a new system right now, but I wouldn't mind spending $200-300 on a new
> CPU for my existing MB.
>
> Back to the point, where can I get some info on tuning? Most of my
> searches have not returned any useful info.

I agree, could be that some day it will be smart to move to 64bits but not
now.

As far as tuning is concerned, you have to start some where. The two key
numbers are the
System Bus Speed and the CPU speed. Both are shown by Easy Tune4. That is on
the system CD
so you already paid for it. Sandra also gives you those numbers.

For the 2700, the system bus speed should be abour 166MHz and the CPU speed
should be 2167MHz

It could be that set-up is the problem and there is little point in
tweaking the wrong set-up.

Jim

Youra nama
April 20th 06, 04:03 AM
i am running a xp mobile 2400 at 11.5x 200 ias i recall the 2600 mobile
is the hottest socket A fastest chip at 35watt ya ya they are 133fsb but
designed for 200fsb swap to 200fsb and go go GO

but my beloved socket A are dead no longer made
so sink more into a dead end OR
4 options
a 64bit socket 754 sempron the 2800 reports 2gHz-2.8 200-250
a turion64/or fastest mobile at low voltage and wattage 300+
dual core optie huge cash IMO 400 for the chip alone
wait a couple weeks for the AM2(long live the super socket A) socket
AMDs with a good board and cheap chip upgrade video/CPU when $$ allow but
it will take awhile toget the best AM2 bard crowned

William C > wrote in
: