PDA

View Full Version : No more 6800s?

November 7th 05, 10:14 PM
Hello!

I was reading http://firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_6800_gs_performance/page2.asp and it
said: "With manufacturing of the GeForce 7800 GT and GTX going along so well, the high-end card of
yesteryear, NVIDIA's GeForce 6800 Ultra, is no longer in production. In fact, NVIDIA.s board partners
have told us that production of the GeForce 6800 and 6800 GT just recently came to an end as well
(although production may be over, these cards can still be found in the sales channel, but once
supplies dry up these boards will be gone forever). Instead, NVIDIA has turned to an entirely new
process for the GeForce 6800 GS -- TSMC's tried and true 110-nanometer manufacturing process."

Yikes. I would like to buy a regular 6800 card since 1) my motherboard does not have a PCI Express
slot, 2) not upgrading my motherboard soon -- maybe next year or later, 3) I don't want to spend a
lot of money since I have to upgrade my video card so often!, and 4) I want to buy a video card that
will last over a year for the newest and upcoming games. My ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) can't
handle them (e.g., Battlefield 2, Call of Duty 2, DOOM 3, etc.).

Do any of the 7800 models have AGP support and is decently priced (less than $300 (U.S)). I noticed
6800 GS was announced today, but it uses PCI Express. :( I am still aiming for a 6800 (128 MB) which
seems decently priced, but I think its prices will go up and the availability will decrease.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"What do ants and bees use for cattle?" --Tom
/\___/\
( )

Smart Feet
November 7th 05, 10:42 PM
wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I was reading http://firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_6800_gs_performance/page2.asp and it
> said: "With manufacturing of the GeForce 7800 GT and GTX going along so well, the high-end card of
> yesteryear, NVIDIA's GeForce 6800 Ultra, is no longer in production. In fact, NVIDIA.s board partners
> have told us that production of the GeForce 6800 and 6800 GT just recently came to an end as well
> (although production may be over, these cards can still be found in the sales channel, but once
> supplies dry up these boards will be gone forever). Instead, NVIDIA has turned to an entirely new
> process for the GeForce 6800 GS -- TSMC's tried and true 110-nanometer manufacturing process."
>
> Yikes. I would like to buy a regular 6800 card since 1) my motherboard does not have a PCI Express
> slot, 2) not upgrading my motherboard soon -- maybe next year or later, 3) I don't want to spend a
> lot of money since I have to upgrade my video card so often!, and 4) I want to buy a video card that
> will last over a year for the newest and upcoming games. My ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) can't
> handle them (e.g., Battlefield 2, Call of Duty 2, DOOM 3, etc.).
>
> Do any of the 7800 models have AGP support and is decently priced (less than $300 (U.S)). I noticed
> 6800 GS was announced today, but it uses PCI Express. :( I am still aiming for a 6800 (128 MB) which
> seems decently priced, but I think its prices will go up and the availability will decrease.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

No 7800's have AGP.

I had a similar situation. ATI 9800 XT (going bad), AGP motherboard.

This is the card I choose:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6684652&type=product&id=1083712392168

Excellent card...

Joe Mama
November 7th 05, 10:51 PM
wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I was reading http://firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_6800_gs_performance/page2.asp and it
> said: "With manufacturing of the GeForce 7800 GT and GTX going along so well, the high-end card of
> yesteryear, NVIDIA's GeForce 6800 Ultra, is no longer in production. In fact, NVIDIA.s board partners
> have told us that production of the GeForce 6800 and 6800 GT just recently came to an end as well
> (although production may be over, these cards can still be found in the sales channel, but once
> supplies dry up these boards will be gone forever). Instead, NVIDIA has turned to an entirely new
> process for the GeForce 6800 GS -- TSMC's tried and true 110-nanometer manufacturing process."
>
> Yikes. I would like to buy a regular 6800 card since 1) my motherboard does not have a PCI Express
> slot, 2) not upgrading my motherboard soon -- maybe next year or later, 3) I don't want to spend a
> lot of money since I have to upgrade my video card so often!, and 4) I want to buy a video card that
> will last over a year for the newest and upcoming games. My ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) can't
> handle them (e.g., Battlefield 2, Call of Duty 2, DOOM 3, etc.).
>
> Do any of the 7800 models have AGP support and is decently priced (less than $300 (U.S)). I noticed
> 6800 GS was announced today, but it uses PCI Express. :( I am still aiming for a 6800 (128 MB) which
> seems decently priced, but I think its prices will go up and the availability will decrease.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

I don't have any answers for your specific questions, but I would
suggest that instead of continuing to post this question here (as you've
been doing in one form or another for some weeks now), that you just go
out and buy an AGP 6800 of some sort while they are still available.

HTH,
-joe.

Dyslexics of the world, untie!

November 8th 05, 12:45 AM
Smart Feet > wrote:
> wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I was reading http://firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_6800_gs_performance/page2.asp and it
> > said: "With manufacturing of the GeForce 7800 GT and GTX going along so well, the high-end card of
> > yesteryear, NVIDIA's GeForce 6800 Ultra, is no longer in production. In fact, NVIDIA.s board partners
> > have told us that production of the GeForce 6800 and 6800 GT just recently came to an end as well
> > (although production may be over, these cards can still be found in the sales channel, but once
> > supplies dry up these boards will be gone forever). Instead, NVIDIA has turned to an entirely new
> > process for the GeForce 6800 GS -- TSMC's tried and true 110-nanometer manufacturing process."
> >
> > Yikes. I would like to buy a regular 6800 card since 1) my motherboard does not have a PCI Express
> > slot, 2) not upgrading my motherboard soon -- maybe next year or later, 3) I don't want to spend a
> > lot of money since I have to upgrade my video card so often!, and 4) I want to buy a video card that
> > will last over a year for the newest and upcoming games. My ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) can't
> > handle them (e.g., Battlefield 2, Call of Duty 2, DOOM 3, etc.).
> >
> > Do any of the 7800 models have AGP support and is decently priced (less than $300 (U.S)). I noticed
> > 6800 GS was announced today, but it uses PCI Express. :( I am still aiming for a 6800 (128 MB) which
> > seems decently priced, but I think its prices will go up and the availability will decrease.
> >
> > Thank you in advance. :)

> No 7800's have AGP.

> I had a similar situation. ATI 9800 XT (going bad), AGP motherboard.

> This is the card I choose:

> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6684652&type=product&id=1083712392168

> Excellent card...

Damn. $350? A bit over my wallet. I was hoping to be under 250 bucks. :(
--
"What do ants and bees use for cattle?" --Tom
/\___/\
( )

November 8th 05, 12:46 AM
Joe Mama > wrote:
> wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I was reading http://firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_6800_gs_performance/page2.asp and it
> > said: "With manufacturing of the GeForce 7800 GT and GTX going along so well, the high-end card of
> > yesteryear, NVIDIA's GeForce 6800 Ultra, is no longer in production. In fact, NVIDIA.s board partners
> > have told us that production of the GeForce 6800 and 6800 GT just recently came to an end as well
> > (although production may be over, these cards can still be found in the sales channel, but once
> > supplies dry up these boards will be gone forever). Instead, NVIDIA has turned to an entirely new
> > process for the GeForce 6800 GS -- TSMC's tried and true 110-nanometer manufacturing process."
> >
> > Yikes. I would like to buy a regular 6800 card since 1) my motherboard does not have a PCI Express
> > slot, 2) not upgrading my motherboard soon -- maybe next year or later, 3) I don't want to spend a
> > lot of money since I have to upgrade my video card so often!, and 4) I want to buy a video card that
> > will last over a year for the newest and upcoming games. My ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) can't
> > handle them (e.g., Battlefield 2, Call of Duty 2, DOOM 3, etc.).
> >
> > Do any of the 7800 models have AGP support and is decently priced (less than $300 (U.S)). I noticed
> > 6800 GS was announced today, but it uses PCI Express. :( I am still aiming for a 6800 (128 MB) which
> > seems decently priced, but I think its prices will go up and the availability will decrease.
> >
> > Thank you in advance. :)

> I don't have any answers for your specific questions, but I would
> suggest that instead of continuing to post this question here (as you've
> been doing in one form or another for some weeks now), that you just go
> out and buy an AGP 6800 of some sort while they are still available.

Hmm, OK. Are there any brands that I should avoid?
--
"What do ants and bees use for cattle?" --Tom
/\___/\
( )

John Lewis
November 8th 05, 01:40 AM
On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 17:46:28 -0600, wrote:

>Joe Mama > wrote:
>> wrote:
>> > Hello!
>> >
>> > I was reading http://firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_6800_gs_performance/page2.asp and it
>> > said: "With manufacturing of the GeForce 7800 GT and GTX going along so well, the high-end card of
>> > yesteryear, NVIDIA's GeForce 6800 Ultra, is no longer in production. In fact, NVIDIA.s board partners
>> > have told us that production of the GeForce 6800 and 6800 GT just recently came to an end as well
>> > (although production may be over, these cards can still be found in the sales channel, but once
>> > supplies dry up these boards will be gone forever). Instead, NVIDIA has turned to an entirely new
>> > process for the GeForce 6800 GS -- TSMC's tried and true 110-nanometer manufacturing process."
>> >
>> > Yikes. I would like to buy a regular 6800 card since 1) my motherboard does not have a PCI Express
>> > slot, 2) not upgrading my motherboard soon -- maybe next year or later, 3) I don't want to spend a
>> > lot of money since I have to upgrade my video card so often!, and 4) I want to buy a video card that
>> > will last over a year for the newest and upcoming games. My ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) can't
>> > handle them (e.g., Battlefield 2, Call of Duty 2, DOOM 3, etc.).
>> >
>> > Do any of the 7800 models have AGP support and is decently priced (less than $300 (U.S)). I noticed
>> > 6800 GS was announced today, but it uses PCI Express. :( I am still aiming for a 6800 (128 MB) which
>> > seems decently priced, but I think its prices will go up and the availability will decrease.
>> >
>> > Thank you in advance. :)
>
>> I don't have any answers for your specific questions, but I would
>> suggest that instead of continuing to post this question here (as you've
>> been doing in one form or another for some weeks now), that you just go
>> out and buy an AGP 6800 of some sort while they are still available.
>
>Hmm, OK. Are there any brands that I should avoid?

Yes, PNY and Leadtek

Also don't settle for a 6800 (non GT) - not much better than your
current 9800 except for its Shader 3.0 support.

John Lewis
- Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.

David Gorick
November 8th 05, 02:21 AM
I was in your same position and ended up buying a Leadtek 6800 on sale from
NewEgg for $160. I used riva tuner to unlock everything possible and do a
mild overclock. It runs great, is much better than the 5200 it replaced and
didn't cost much, saving me a few dollars for next year when I upgrade to a
new MB supporting PCI Express and a better card. Some people will tell you
not to buy a Leadtek but mine works great and it only needs to last me a
year. I really wanted a 6800GT but couldn't justify the price (double the
6800) for a card only lasting a year or less.

> wrote in message
et...
> Hello!
>
> I was reading
> http://firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_6800_gs_performance/page2.asp
> and it
> said: "With manufacturing of the GeForce 7800 GT and GTX going along so
> well, the high-end card of
> yesteryear, NVIDIA's GeForce 6800 Ultra, is no longer in production. In
> fact, NVIDIA.s board partners
> have told us that production of the GeForce 6800 and 6800 GT just recently
> came to an end as well
> (although production may be over, these cards can still be found in the
> sales channel, but once
> supplies dry up these boards will be gone forever). Instead, NVIDIA has
> turned to an entirely new
> process for the GeForce 6800 GS -- TSMC's tried and true 110-nanometer
> manufacturing process."
>
> Yikes. I would like to buy a regular 6800 card since 1) my motherboard
> does not have a PCI Express
> slot, 2) not upgrading my motherboard soon -- maybe next year or later, 3)
> I don't want to spend a
> lot of money since I have to upgrade my video card so often!, and 4) I
> want to buy a video card that
> will last over a year for the newest and upcoming games. My ATI Radeon
> 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) can't
> handle them (e.g., Battlefield 2, Call of Duty 2, DOOM 3, etc.).
>
> Do any of the 7800 models have AGP support and is decently priced (less
> than $300 (U.S)). I noticed
> 6800 GS was announced today, but it uses PCI Express. :( I am still aiming
> for a 6800 (128 MB) which
> seems decently priced, but I think its prices will go up and the
> availability will decrease.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)
> --
> "What do ants and bees use for cattle?" --Tom
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
> | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
> \ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
> ( )

Inglo
November 8th 05, 02:23 AM
On 11/7/2005 4:40 PM John Lewis brightened our day with:

wrote:

>>>I don't have any answers for your specific questions, but I would
>>>suggest that instead of continuing to post this question here (as you've
>>>been doing in one form or another for some weeks now), that you just go
>>>out and buy an AGP 6800 of some sort while they are still available.
>>>

>>Hmm, OK. Are there any brands that I should avoid?
>>

>Yes, PNY and Leadtek
>
>Also don't settle for a 6800 (non GT) - not much better than your
>current 9800 except for its Shader 3.0 support.
>
>John Lewis
>- Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.

Speaking as someone who actually upgraded from a 9800 Pro to a "vanilla"
6800. All you guys are full of ****. It was an excellent, cheap
upgrade for an AGP motherboard. The performance increase, most
noticeably in Doom 3/Quake 4/ Far Cry, is substantial. I've been more
than happy with it, my total upgrade cost after selling my 9800 Pro was
$50... read that again *$50*. If the OP can come close to that, it's so
worth it. You can get 6800s often for less than 6600 GTs, if you can
get a 6800 for between $175-190 USD and have that be your last AGP card,
it's worth it. A 6800 GT is going to still cost $300, I think that's
too much to sink into an AGP card.

--

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

JTB
November 8th 05, 03:48 AM
> wrote in message
et...
> Smart Feet > wrote:
>> wrote:
>> > Hello!
>> >
>> > I was reading
>> > http://firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_6800_gs_performance/page2.asp
>> > and it
>> > said: "With manufacturing of the GeForce 7800 GT and GTX going along so
>> > well, the high-end card of
>> > yesteryear, NVIDIA's GeForce 6800 Ultra, is no longer in production. In
>> > fact, NVIDIA.s board partners
>> > have told us that production of the GeForce 6800 and 6800 GT just
>> > recently came to an end as well
>> > (although production may be over, these cards can still be found in the
>> > sales channel, but once
>> > supplies dry up these boards will be gone forever). Instead, NVIDIA has
>> > turned to an entirely new
>> > process for the GeForce 6800 GS -- TSMC's tried and true 110-nanometer
>> > manufacturing process."
>> >
>> > Yikes. I would like to buy a regular 6800 card since 1) my motherboard
>> > does not have a PCI Express
>> > slot, 2) not upgrading my motherboard soon -- maybe next year or later,
>> > 3) I don't want to spend a
>> > lot of money since I have to upgrade my video card so often!, and 4) I
>> > want to buy a video card that
>> > will last over a year for the newest and upcoming games. My ATI Radeon
>> > 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) can't
>> > handle them (e.g., Battlefield 2, Call of Duty 2, DOOM 3, etc.).
>> >
>> > Do any of the 7800 models have AGP support and is decently priced (less
>> > than $300 (U.S)). I noticed
>> > 6800 GS was announced today, but it uses PCI Express. :( I am still
>> > aiming for a 6800 (128 MB) which
>> > seems decently priced, but I think its prices will go up and the
>> > availability will decrease.
>> >
>> > Thank you in advance. :)
>
>> No 7800's have AGP.
>
>> I had a similar situation. ATI 9800 XT (going bad), AGP motherboard.
>
>> This is the card I choose:
>
>> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6684652&type=product&id=1083712392168
>
>> Excellent card...
>
> Damn. $350? A bit over my wallet. I was hoping to be under 250 bucks. :(

You can always try ebay - there are some new ones there.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&fstype=1&from=R10&satitle=BFG+GeForce+6800+GT+OC+new&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=21042&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=

JTB
November 8th 05, 03:50 AM
om...

wrote:

>>>Hmm, OK. Are there any brands that I should avoid?
>>>

>>Yes, PNY and Leadtek
>>
>>Also don't settle for a 6800 (non GT) - not much better than your
>>current 9800 except for its Shader 3.0 support.
>>
>>John Lewis
>>- Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.
>>
> Speaking as someone who actually upgraded from a 9800 Pro to a "vanilla"
> 6800. All you guys are full of ****.

Relax Francis.

It was an excellent, cheap
> upgrade for an AGP motherboard. The performance increase, most noticeably
> in Doom 3/Quake 4/ Far Cry, is substantial. I've been more than happy
> with it, my total upgrade cost after selling my 9800 Pro was $50... read
> that again *$50*. If the OP can come close to that, it's so worth it.
> You can get 6800s often for less than 6600 GTs, if you can get a 6800 for
> between $175-190 USD and have that be your last AGP card, it's worth it.
> A 6800 GT is going to still cost $300, I think that's too much to sink
> into an AGP card.
>
> --
>
> Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
> www.inglostadt.com

November 8th 05, 07:47 AM

> >>Hmm, OK. Are there any brands that I should avoid?
> >>

> >Yes, PNY and Leadtek
> >
> >Also don't settle for a 6800 (non GT) - not much better than your
> >current 9800 except for its Shader 3.0 support.
> >
> Speaking as someone who actually upgraded from a 9800 Pro to a "vanilla"
> 6800. All you guys are full of ****. It was an excellent, cheap
> upgrade for an AGP motherboard. The performance increase, most
> noticeably in Doom 3/Quake 4/ Far Cry, is substantial. I've been more
> than happy with it, my total upgrade cost after selling my 9800 Pro was
> $50... read that again *$50*. If the OP can come close to that, it's so
> worth it. You can get 6800s often for less than 6600 GTs, if you can
> get a 6800 for between $175-190 USD and have that be your last AGP card,
> it's worth it. A 6800 GT is going to still cost $300, I think that's
> too much to sink into an AGP card.

OK, I think I am going to get a basic 6800 card with 128 MB to use for a year, then jump into
the PCI Express. I am planning to use the 6800 for my old Linux box (not a gaming box) next year
to replace the old GeForce 4200.
--
"What do ants and bees use for cattle?" --Tom
/\___/\
( )

November 8th 05, 07:54 AM

> >>Hmm, OK. Are there any brands that I should avoid?
> >
> >Yes, PNY and Leadtek

Really Leadtek? I had Leadtek back during GF2 Pro and Ti4200. I guess its
quality is no longer superior.

> >Also don't settle for a 6800 (non GT) - not much better than your
> >current 9800 except for its Shader 3.0 support.
> >
> Speaking as someone who actually upgraded from a 9800 Pro to a "vanilla"
> 6800. All you guys are full of ****. It was an excellent, cheap
> upgrade for an AGP motherboard. The performance increase, most
> noticeably in Doom 3/Quake 4/ Far Cry, is substantial. I've been more
> than happy with it, my total upgrade cost after selling my 9800 Pro was
> $50... read that again *$50*. If the OP can come close to that, it's so
> worth it. You can get 6800s often for less than 6600 GTs, if you can
> get a 6800 for between $175-190 USD and have that be your last AGP card,
> it's worth it. A 6800 GT is going to still cost $300, I think that's
> too much to sink into an AGP card.

That is what I saw for benchmarks too, but wasn't sure if it was enough for
my gaming demands. Was that everything cranked up at 1024x768 and 1152x864
resolutions? GT is indeed too expensive. Forget Ultra! I only need the card
for about a year, then I will use it in my Linux box (not for gaming) to
replace the Ti4200 card.
--
"What do ants and bees use for cattle?" --Tom
/\___/\
( )

Inglo
November 8th 05, 03:41 PM
On 11/7/2005 10:54 PM brightened our day with:

>>>Yes, PNY and Leadtek
>>>

>Really Leadtek? I had Leadtek back during GF2 Pro and Ti4200. I guess its
>quality is no longer superior.
>

>>>Also don't settle for a 6800 (non GT) - not much better than your
>>>current 9800 except for its Shader 3.0 support.
>>>

>>Speaking as someone who actually upgraded from a 9800 Pro to a "vanilla"
>>6800. All you guys are full of ****. It was an excellent, cheap
>>upgrade for an AGP motherboard. The performance increase, most
>>noticeably in Doom 3/Quake 4/ Far Cry, is substantial. I've been more
>>than happy with it, my total upgrade cost after selling my 9800 Pro was
>>$50... read that again *$50*. If the OP can come close to that, it's so
>>worth it. You can get 6800s often for less than 6600 GTs, if you can
>>get a 6800 for between $175-190 USD and have that be your last AGP card,
>>it's worth it. A 6800 GT is going to still cost $300, I think that's
>>too much to sink into an AGP card.
>>

>That is what I saw for benchmarks too, but wasn't sure if it was enough for
>my gaming demands. Was that everything cranked up at 1024x768 and 1152x864
>resolutions? GT is indeed too expensive. Forget Ultra! I only need the card
>for about a year, then I will use it in my Linux box (not for gaming) to
>replace the Ti4200 card.

In many ways Doom III and Quake 4 are the most advanced game engines out
there, I play both of those at 1280x1024 High Details w/ either 2x or 4x
AA and 8x or 16x AF, at those settings both games benchmark around 45
fps, I could get more by doing without AA but I'm willing to sacrifice a
little performance for eye candy. That's on an old Athlon XP running at
2200 MHz. In even more ways F.E.A.R. is the most advanced game engine
out there :-) and that I run at 1024x768 w/ 2x AA 4x AF and Medium
Details, still looks fantastic. The in-game F.E.A.R. benchmarks at 45
fps at those settings. Does a lot better with AA turned off.
I should mention that I was able to successfully unlock my 6800 to 16
pixel pipelines and 6 vertex shaders, this procedure has been discussed
in this group recently, or you can find more about it at the RivaTuner
page of www.guru3d.com. I have an XFX 6800, many people have been able
to unlock these cards, www.newegg.com
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150106> has
them for $179. XFX has some detractors as far as support goes, I
haven't had any problems with my card and got a little extra performance
from it. There are some good 6600 GTs there as well for a little less,
you wouldn't be going wrong with one of those either.
I dual boot Fedora Core with XP and the 6800 works great in Linux as
well, have second installations of Quake4 and Doom3 on my Linux
partition, so it games well in Linux too.

--

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

Benjamin Gawert
November 8th 05, 06:44 PM
XP wrote:

> Funny Leadtek make all the Pro board for Nvidia,

Which "Pro boards" does Leadtek make? If You're talking about the Quadro
series, they all are made by PNY...

Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert
November 8th 05, 06:48 PM
John Lewis wrote:

>>Hmm, OK. Are there any brands that I should avoid?
>

> Yes, PNY and Leadtek

Why?

We have several PNY cards at work, and now I have my third PNY card at
home (7800GTX). These all are great cards, not made for overclocking
(which I don't give a **** for), but reliable, and also with a very high
analog signal quality. Service is also very good (at least here in
Europe)...

I have no personal experience with Leadtek but what I heard from them is
that they make quite good cards, too...

Benjamin

John Lewis
November 8th 05, 07:37 PM
On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 01:23:16 GMT, Inglo <[email protected]??.¿¿¿> wrote:

>Speaking as someone who actually upgraded from a 9800 Pro to a "vanilla"
>6800. All you guys are full of ****. It was an excellent, cheap
>upgrade for an AGP motherboard. The performance increase, most
>noticeably in Doom 3/Quake 4/ Far Cry, is substantial. I've been more
>than happy with it, my total upgrade cost after selling my 9800 Pro was
>$50... read that again *$50*. If the OP can come close to that, it's so
>worth it. You can get 6800s often for less than 6600 GTs, if you can
>get a 6800 for between $175-190 USD and have that be your last AGP card,
>it's worth it. A 6800 GT is going to still cost $300, I think that's
>too much to sink into an AGP card.

The brand-new 6800GS is $209 on Newegg (unless they are all sold out)
Do NOT buy the vanilla 6800 at this point in time.

John Lewis

John Lewis
November 8th 05, 07:41 PM
On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 18:37:16 GMT, (John Lewis)
wrote:

>The brand-new 6800GS is $209 on Newegg (unless they are all sold out)
>Do NOT buy the vanilla 6800 at this point in time.
>
>John Lewis

Oops, brain-f**t. Forgot the discussion thread was on AGP cards, the
6800GS is PCIe only............. Very sorry. The AGP choices are
rapidly getting very limited indeed.

John Lewis

Scotter
November 8th 05, 10:18 PM
Ha! That is the exact card I have! BFG 6800 GT OC. I added an nvSilencer to
it, though.
I'll be selling that card within a couple weeks to make way for my new 7800
GTX so if anyone wants a good deal on a BFG 6800 GT OC, I'll make one. I'll
sell it for $200+shipping, in fact.
--
Scotter

"Smart Feet" > wrote in message
m...
> wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I was reading
>> http://firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_6800_gs_performance/page2.asp
>> and it
>> said: "With manufacturing of the GeForce 7800 GT and GTX going along so
>> well, the high-end card of
>> yesteryear, NVIDIA's GeForce 6800 Ultra, is no longer in production. In
>> fact, NVIDIA.s board partners
>> have told us that production of the GeForce 6800 and 6800 GT just
>> recently came to an end as well
>> (although production may be over, these cards can still be found in the
>> sales channel, but once
>> supplies dry up these boards will be gone forever). Instead, NVIDIA has
>> turned to an entirely new
>> process for the GeForce 6800 GS -- TSMC's tried and true 110-nanometer
>> manufacturing process."
>>
>> Yikes. I would like to buy a regular 6800 card since 1) my motherboard
>> does not have a PCI Express
>> slot, 2) not upgrading my motherboard soon -- maybe next year or later,
>> 3) I don't want to spend a
>> lot of money since I have to upgrade my video card so often!, and 4) I
>> want to buy a video card that
>> will last over a year for the newest and upcoming games. My ATI Radeon
>> 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) can't
>> handle them (e.g., Battlefield 2, Call of Duty 2, DOOM 3, etc.).
>>
>> Do any of the 7800 models have AGP support and is decently priced (less
>> than $300 (U.S)). I noticed 6800 GS was announced today, but it uses PCI
>> Express. :( I am still aiming for a 6800 (128 MB) which seems decently
>> priced, but I think its prices will go up and the availability will
>> decrease.
>>
>> Thank you in advance. :)
>

> No 7800's have AGP.
>
> I had a similar situation. ATI 9800 XT (going bad), AGP motherboard.
>
> This is the card I choose:
>
> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6684652&type=product&id=1083712392168
>
> Excellent card...

First of One
November 9th 05, 04:16 AM
What they don't tell you is that supplies take *a long time* to dry up.
Hell, the FX5900 and FX5900XT can still be found in stock in large online
stores like NCIX.Com.

> wrote in message
et...
> Hello!
>
> I was reading
> http://firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_6800_gs_performance/page2.asp
> and it
> said: "With manufacturing of the GeForce 7800 GT and GTX going along so
> well, the high-end card of
> yesteryear, NVIDIA's GeForce 6800 Ultra, is no longer in production. In
> fact, NVIDIA.s board partners
> have told us that production of the GeForce 6800 and 6800 GT just recently
> came to an end as well
> (although production may be over, these cards can still be found in the
> sales channel, but once
> supplies dry up these boards will be gone forever).

Bill
November 9th 05, 07:05 AM
In article >,
says...
> What they don't tell you is that supplies take *a long time* to dry up.
> Hell, the FX5900 and FX5900XT can still be found in stock in large online
> stores like NCIX.Com.

Having recently purchased a BFG 6800 GT OC AGP I can tell you
that the high end AGP 6800s are getting hard to find.

Bill

First of One
November 10th 05, 04:27 AM
A search for "6800GT AGP" on Pricegrabber.com returned 46 vendors.
Pricewatch returned 9. Obviously the buyer should stick to vendors with good
ratings, though undeniably there is still a large quantity of cards
available. Whether it's a better deal than the X800XT AGP... well, that's a
different story altogether. :-)

"Bill" > wrote in message
> Having recently purchased a BFG 6800 GT OC AGP I can tell you
> that the high end AGP 6800s are getting hard to find.
>
> Bill

Bill
November 10th 05, 07:15 AM
In article >,
says...
> A search for "6800GT AGP" on Pricegrabber.com returned 46 vendors.
> Pricewatch returned 9. Obviously the buyer should stick to vendors with good
> ratings, though undeniably there is still a large quantity of cards
> available. Whether it's a better deal than the X800XT AGP... well, that's a
> different story altogether. :-)

Ya, but when you call them, do they actually have the card in stock?
I went through several until I found one that actually had one in their
possession. The situation was even worse for the AGP 6800 Ultra at the
time I was looking. I see now that there are more vendors that say they
have them. I guess a new shipment hit port, but that doesn't mean
they'll last that long now that they're not being made anymore.

Bill

First of One
November 11th 05, 01:33 AM
All but two of the vendors on Pricegrabber have the cards listed as "in
stock" on the vendor web sites. Pricewatch has realtime pricing.

Since the 7800 series is not available in AGP, as time goes on the
6800GT/Ultra will probably remain available, but prices won't fall as fast
as their PCIe counterparts. Eventually it won't make sense to get one from a
price/performance standpoint.

"Bill" > wrote in message
> Ya, but when you call them, do they actually have the card in stock?
> I went through several until I found one that actually had one in their
> possession. The situation was even worse for the AGP 6800 Ultra at the
> time I was looking. I see now that there are more vendors that say they
> have them. I guess a new shipment hit port, but that doesn't mean
> they'll last that long now that they're not being made anymore.
>
> Bill

Bill
November 11th 05, 08:42 AM
In article >,
says...
> All but two of the vendors on Pricegrabber have the cards listed as "in
> stock" on the vendor web sites. Pricewatch has realtime pricing.

Vendors in stock now, not 3 weeks ago when I was looking.

> Since the 7800 series is not available in AGP, as time goes on the
> 6800GT/Ultra will probably remain available,

<snip>

True, the price may even rise on the 6800 gt/ultras as they become
harder to find. Check these guys out:

http://tinyurl.com/8euj2

http://froogle.google.com/froogle_cluster?
btnG=Search+Froogle&hl=en&oid=6223363543583037504&pid=
4818692687508500012&q=6800+ultra&scoring=p

Talk about gouging.

Bill