PDA

View Full Version : Re: QUIETEST hi-performance PCI-E card?

bowgus
November 5th 05, 07:57 PM
I like my Asus A8N-SLI (AMD though) with it's "Cool and Quiet" option ...
maybe there's an Intel equivalent. Useful when just browing etc or when
powering my DPL projector ... watching movies. A few years ago I went back
to Intel but I tell you ... the quality, features of this nForce chipset
(ok, only one chip) and the quality, features of this AMD 4000+ and
heatsink/fan now exceed Intel ... imo.

"darius" > wrote in message
> What is they QUIETEST high performance PCI-E card I can get?
>
> I know Gigabyte has a fanless 6600GT and 6800GT, but they seem
> overpriced.
>
> I'm looking for something not necessarily fanless but known to be quiet
> and gives good price/performance ratio.
>
> My CPU is PENTIUM 4 PRESCOTT DT, 520. 2.8Ghz. Not exactly a screamer,
> so I'm not looking to go top of the line for video, just something I can
> run current games like battlefield 2 and quake 4 at decent fps.
>

> thanks.

bowgus
November 5th 05, 08:01 PM
Oops DPL = DLP :-)

"bowgus" > wrote in message
> I like my Asus A8N-SLI (AMD though) with it's "Cool and Quiet" option ...
> maybe there's an Intel equivalent. Useful when just browing etc or when
> powering my DPL projector ... watching movies. A few years ago I went back
> to Intel but I tell you ... the quality, features of this nForce chipset
> (ok, only one chip) and the quality, features of this AMD 4000+ and
> heatsink/fan now exceed Intel ... imo.
>
> "darius" > wrote in message
> > What is they QUIETEST high performance PCI-E card I can get?
> >
> > I know Gigabyte has a fanless 6600GT and 6800GT, but they seem
> > overpriced.
> >
> > I'm looking for something not necessarily fanless but known to be quiet
> > and gives good price/performance ratio.
> >
> > My CPU is PENTIUM 4 PRESCOTT DT, 520. 2.8Ghz. Not exactly a screamer,
> > so I'm not looking to go top of the line for video, just something I can
> > run current games like battlefield 2 and quake 4 at decent fps.
> >

> > thanks.

KCB
November 5th 05, 08:27 PM

"bowgus" > wrote in message
>I like my Asus A8N-SLI (AMD though) with it's "Cool and Quiet" option ...
> maybe there's an Intel equivalent. Useful when just browing etc or when
> powering my DPL projector ... watching movies. A few years ago I went back
> to Intel but I tell you ... the quality, features of this nForce chipset
> (ok, only one chip) and the quality, features of this AMD 4000+ and
> heatsink/fan now exceed Intel ... imo.

He was asking about graphics cards....

bowgus
November 5th 05, 09:28 PM
Sure ... and all I'm saying is, upgrading to a hi-performance PCI-E card may
be a disappointment with the 2.8G ... and here's an option that worked for
me.

> He was asking about graphics cards....

idiscuss
November 6th 05, 06:21 AM
How about a dual core 2.8G?

bowgus
November 6th 05, 08:14 PM
I've been happy with nvidia cards ... note I'm not going along with your
cross post to the ati group this time :-) ... BFG 7800, before that XFX6800,
and before that MSI in that order and I've had no problems with any. As to
which nvidia, I suggest do the usual browsing/comparing/reviews till you
find what makes sense to you.