October 30th 05, 03:29 AM
Will they make it, or is AGP dead?

Martin.

Big Bird
October 31st 05, 03:56 AM
Marni wrote:
> Will they make it, or is AGP dead?
>
> Martin.

PCI-X is the only format that offers sufficient bandwidth to properly
feed a 7800 card. Thats why they wont make an AGP version....

plumface2002
October 31st 05, 04:31 AM
they will probably make one, but im going to guess it isnt going to be
till at least the next generation of gpus.

Bill
October 31st 05, 10:02 AM
In article >,
says...
> Marni wrote:
> > Will they make it, or is AGP dead?
> >
> > Martin.
> >

> PCI-X is the only format that offers sufficient bandwidth to properly
> feed a 7800 card. Thats why they wont make an AGP version....

Could you show/tell me where you got that information about the
bandwidth?

Bill

J. Clarke
October 31st 05, 02:06 PM
Big Bird wrote:

> Marni wrote:
>> Will they make it, or is AGP dead?
>>
>> Martin.
>>

> PCI-X is the only format that offers sufficient bandwidth to properly
> feed a 7800 card. Thats why they wont make an AGP version....

It is? You mean that they aren't going to be offering a PCI Express
version?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

De Moni
October 31st 05, 02:47 PM
Big Bird wrote:
> PCI-X is the only format that offers sufficient bandwidth to properly
> feed a 7800 card. Thats why they wont make an AGP version....

What's the use of greatly faster PCI-e bus if textures and stuff are
still read/writted from/to RAM about 3000/1000 megs per sec? That's
barely over AGP8x speed...

Bill's Dead
October 31st 05, 04:00 PM
"De Moni" > wrote in message
> Big Bird wrote:
>> PCI-X is the only format that offers sufficient bandwidth to properly
>> feed a 7800 card. Thats why they wont make an AGP version....
>
> What's the use of greatly faster PCI-e bus if textures and stuff are still
> read/writted from/to RAM about 3000/1000 megs per sec? That's barely over
> AGP8x speed...

Exactly. The statement about "sufficient bandwidth" is BS..

Conor
October 31st 05, 05:28 PM
In article >, Big Bird
says...
> Marni wrote:
> > Will they make it, or is AGP dead?
> >
> > Martin.
> >

> PCI-X is the only format that offers sufficient bandwidth to properly
> feed a 7800 card.

ROFLMAO...yeah right.

--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.

Benjamin Gawert
October 31st 05, 07:34 PM
Big Bird wrote:

> PCI-X is the only format that offers sufficient bandwidth to properly
> feed a 7800 card. Thats why they wont make an AGP version....

BS. First, if you mean PCI Express then this is abbreviated "PCIe", not
"PCI-X". PCI-X is a enhancement of the old PCI standard and has nothing
to do with PCI Express...

Besides that, even AGP8x is more than fast enough to feed a 7800 GPU...

Benjamin

De Moni
October 31st 05, 11:12 PM
Bill's Dead wrote:
> "De Moni" > wrote
>>What's the use of greatly faster PCI-e bus if textures and stuff are still
>>read/writted from/to RAM about 3000/1000 megs per sec? That's barely over
>>AGP8x speed...
> Exactly. The statement about "sufficient bandwidth" is BS..

Well, of course PCI-e can transfer data both ways simultaneously at high
speed, but then again... do video cards even benefit of it? I believe
textures are usually going just one way, from system RAM to video RAM?

First of One
November 1st 05, 01:17 AM
AGP is statistically dead. 90% of high-end cards go to OEMs like Alienware,
VoodooPC, Dell, etc., all of which sell PCIe systems.

By early next year, Socket 939 will be slowly replaced by Socket M2, with
DDR2 RAM and most probably PCIe-only.

"Marni" > wrote in message
> Will they make it, or is AGP dead?
>
> Martin.

Tony DiMarzio
November 1st 05, 08:36 PM
"Big Bird" > wrote in message
u...
> Marni wrote:
>> Will they make it, or is AGP dead?
>>
>> Martin.
>
> PCI-X is the only format that offers sufficient bandwidth to properly feed
> a 7800 card. Thats why they wont make an AGP version....

Wrong on multiple levels.

1. PCI-X != PCIe (PCI Express) - Two completely different things.
2. PCIe is NOT "the only format that offers sufficient bandwidth to properly
feed a 7800 card". AGP 8X offers more than enough bandwidth for even an
X1800XT.
3. PCIe is being forced down our throats and that is why there will not be a
7800GT AGP.

Tony