PDA

View Full Version : Steam sound loop crashes??

Fred Bloggs
October 30th 05, 12:58 AM
Hi,

I post more in hope than expectation that someone out there knows a fix for
the soundloop crash in Counter Strike and Half Life 2 with Nforce
mainboards. I won't go into my system specs as anyone who knows about this
problem, will not bore us with irrelevant questions about my PSU, cooling,,
Arctic Ceramique, etc. Like other suffers I've run out of driver changes and
combinations and suggested fix but found that none so far has worked.

Anyone?

Andrew
October 30th 05, 01:06 AM
On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 23:58:45 GMT, "Fred Bloggs"
> wrote:

>I won't go into my system specs

As I have an NForce board and I don't have the problem, maybe it would
be a good idea to specify exactly which board and sound system you
have.

Shawk
October 30th 05, 03:23 PM
"Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 23:58:45 GMT, "Fred Bloggs"
> > wrote:
>
>>I won't go into my system specs
>
> As I have an NForce board and I don't have the problem, maybe it would
> be a good idea to specify exactly which board and sound system you
> have.

Ditto...

Fred Bloggs
October 31st 05, 01:38 AM
I have an Epox 9NPA+Ultra and a BFG 7800GT OC. However, this bug, whatever
its source affects similar hardware from other manufacturers using different
drivers, Radeon and Geforce cards. Not everyone has these problems but
enough us do to suspect an incompatility between Steam and some driver or
other. If you look at the Steam support page you'll see what I mean. As far
as I'm aware my system not not have similar problems with other games. Far
Cry plays on my system with good framerates maxed out in settings. All my
temps are well within specs. CPU max temp reached under load for an hour or
more 53c. After playing Far Cry for an hour, if I shut the game down and
immediately check the GPU temperature in the Nvidia contril panel I get a
reading of between 42c and 44c. I have a 530W Tagan CPU, 1Gb 3200 Corsair
TwinXL Pro that shows no errors under Memtest.
Counter Strike and Half Life 2 both single player and on line are the only
programs which cause problems on my system and others.

All the above is why I suggested that if you knew what the soundloop crash
is in these games you would not need to ask about the basic questions
answered above. I give you the fuller answer here because as you have taken
the trouble to respond I've taken the trouble to respond with equal
courtesy. The other soundloop I wish to avoid is the one involving Arctic
Silver, heatsink, PSU, different PCI slot, case fans. I could train a
budgerigar to give me that sort of help!

Please don't take offence as none is intended. I've been trying to find a
fix for this issue for my son for about three days. In the circumstances
you'll understand that constant repetition of of these mantras is a little
wearying.

Shawk
October 31st 05, 02:02 AM
"Fred Bloggs" > wrote in message
. uk...
> Hi,
>
> I post more in hope than expectation that someone out there knows a fix
> for the soundloop crash in Counter Strike and Half Life 2 with Nforce
> mainboards. I won't go into my system specs as anyone who knows about this
> problem, will not bore us with irrelevant questions about my PSU,
> cooling,, Arctic Ceramique, etc. Like other suffers I've run out of driver
> changes and combinations and suggested fix but found that none so far has
> worked.
>
> Anyone?

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Stuttering

Have you gone through these? Do you have the necessary audio codecs?

Andrew
October 31st 05, 08:24 AM
On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 00:38:33 GMT, "Fred Bloggs"
> wrote:

>I have an Epox 9NPA+Ultra and a BFG 7800GT OC. However, this bug, whatever
>its source affects similar hardware from other manufacturers using different
>drivers

You still haven't told us what sound card/motherboard sound system you
are using - that is the most crucial fact you are missing in your post
(which is in completely the wrong NG BTW).