PDA

View Full Version : GE Force 6600 - NV_disp.dll error

AMC
October 26th 05, 05:05 PM
Using a GE Force 6600 with newest drivers from Nvidia ( 81.85 ).
When I try and play any type of video file (mpegs, AVI's etc ) Windows Media
Player seems to hang and then after about 20/30 seconds I get the "BSOD"
with a message that Windows stopped to avoid any damage to my system and
that driver NV_disp.dll got stuck in an infinite loop.

I've tried removing the drivers and doing a clean instal, but still the
same.

Out of interest, I have found a couple of "minidump" files that co-incide
with these crashes but have no idea how to use them. Do these give more
info about the problem ?

Thanks
Andrew

Sharanga Dayananda
October 26th 05, 07:35 PM
If you have an nVidia nForce motherboard, chances are that you need to
install the nForce drivers off the mobo's driver CD. The nForce drivers off
the nVidia site appear to work, but will lock up when attempting to play
videos. You can upgrade to the latest drivers, but you need to start with
the CD based drivers.

I encountered this recently with my nForce 3 260.

"AMC" > wrote in message
> Using a GE Force 6600 with newest drivers from Nvidia ( 81.85 ).
> When I try and play any type of video file (mpegs, AVI's etc ) Windows
> Media Player seems to hang and then after about 20/30 seconds I get the
> "BSOD" with a message that Windows stopped to avoid any damage to my
> system and that driver NV_disp.dll got stuck in an infinite loop.
>
> I've tried removing the drivers and doing a clean instal, but still the
> same.
>
> Out of interest, I have found a couple of "minidump" files that co-incide
> with these crashes but have no idea how to use them. Do these give more
> info about the problem ?
>
> Thanks
> Andrew

deimos
October 26th 05, 08:01 PM
Sharanga Dayananda wrote:
> If you have an nVidia nForce motherboard, chances are that you need to
> install the nForce drivers off the mobo's driver CD. The nForce drivers off
> the nVidia site appear to work, but will lock up when attempting to play
> videos. You can upgrade to the latest drivers, but you need to start with
> the CD based drivers.
>
> I encountered this recently with my nForce 3 260.
>

> "AMC" > wrote in message
>
>>Using a GE Force 6600 with newest drivers from Nvidia ( 81.85 ).
>>When I try and play any type of video file (mpegs, AVI's etc ) Windows
>>Media Player seems to hang and then after about 20/30 seconds I get the
>>"BSOD" with a message that Windows stopped to avoid any damage to my
>>system and that driver NV_disp.dll got stuck in an infinite loop.
>>
>>I've tried removing the drivers and doing a clean instal, but still the
>>same.
>>
>>Out of interest, I have found a couple of "minidump" files that co-incide
>>with these crashes but have no idea how to use them. Do these give more
>>info about the problem ?
>>
>>Thanks
>>Andrew

For reference, you don't need the IDE driver for a fully functioning
system. The NVIDIA IDE has problems on some systems, but the built in
Microsoft IDE works just as well.

AMC
October 26th 05, 11:47 PM
Thanks for replies, but I dont have an Nvidia motherboard.

"deimos" > wrote in message
> Sharanga Dayananda wrote:
>> If you have an nVidia nForce motherboard, chances are that you need to
>> install the nForce drivers off the mobo's driver CD. The nForce drivers
>> off the nVidia site appear to work, but will lock up when attempting to
>> play videos. You can upgrade to the latest drivers, but you need to start
>> with the CD based drivers.
>>
>> I encountered this recently with my nForce 3 260.
>>

>> "AMC" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Using a GE Force 6600 with newest drivers from Nvidia ( 81.85 ).
>>>When I try and play any type of video file (mpegs, AVI's etc ) Windows
>>>Media Player seems to hang and then after about 20/30 seconds I get the
>>>"BSOD" with a message that Windows stopped to avoid any damage to my
>>>system and that driver NV_disp.dll got stuck in an infinite loop.
>>>
>>>I've tried removing the drivers and doing a clean instal, but still the
>>>same.
>>>
>>>Out of interest, I have found a couple of "minidump" files that co-incide
>>>with these crashes but have no idea how to use them. Do these give more
>>>info about the problem ?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>Andrew
>>>

> For reference, you don't need the IDE driver for a fully functioning
> system. The NVIDIA IDE has problems on some systems, but the built in
> Microsoft IDE works just as well.

Joe Mama
October 28th 05, 12:10 AM
AMC wrote:
> Thanks for replies, but I dont have an Nvidia motherboard.

Misunderstandings like this can be avoided by including your system
specs with your original post.

Cheers,
-joe.

Dyslexics of the world, untie!

Phatty
October 30th 05, 07:06 PM
I had the same problem and flashed my video card bios to fix it. I tried
everything and that is the only thing that fixed it.