PDA

View Full Version : drivers in WinXP

October 26th 05, 01:02 AM
I have a Dell with nvidia geforce4 mx 440 AGP 64mb card as a secondary
adapter for dual monitor use. Primary card is ATI radeon 7000. WinXP
SP2 and all latest Win updates. After installing video drivers (either
from Dell or nvidia or even MS) - the adapter and monitor look fine in
device manager, but when I go to activate this as a secondary monitor,
I see an error that "drivers are for an older version of windows" and
it doesn't work. Dells' suggestion is to uninstall SP2, install
drivers, then reinstall SP2 (and I assume all of the later win updates
as well). This seems pretty severe and likely to cause problems on
other applications (and windows lists a bunch that it says could be
damaged by doing this). Is there another way to try to install drivers
for this card?

I have followed the nvidia advice on installation - remove prior
versions, reboot, disable anti-virus software, then reinstall. This
doesn't help.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

deimos
October 26th 05, 08:04 PM
wrote:
> I have a Dell with nvidia geforce4 mx 440 AGP 64mb card as a secondary
> adapter for dual monitor use. Primary card is ATI radeon 7000. WinXP
> SP2 and all latest Win updates. After installing video drivers (either
> from Dell or nvidia or even MS) - the adapter and monitor look fine in
> device manager, but when I go to activate this as a secondary monitor,
> I see an error that "drivers are for an older version of windows" and
> it doesn't work. Dells' suggestion is to uninstall SP2, install
> drivers, then reinstall SP2 (and I assume all of the later win updates
> as well). This seems pretty severe and likely to cause problems on
> other applications (and windows lists a bunch that it says could be
> damaged by doing this). Is there another way to try to install drivers
> for this card?
>
> I have followed the nvidia advice on installation - remove prior
> versions, reboot, disable anti-virus software, then reinstall. This
> doesn't help.
>
> Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I don't know this for sure, but some people have said you need to have
two video cards that use the same driver (i.e. NVIDIA & NVIDIA, etc).
But I don't know if that applies to built in drivers (like a generic VGA
or a WHQL Forceware version in SP2).