PDA

View Full Version : The 6600 or the 6800?

Midnight Moocher
October 23rd 05, 08:57 PM
Hi all,

I've just got myself an Asus SLI board. At the moment, I can't afford two
cards for it.

I'm considering either the GeForce 6600GT currently priced 110.07 at
cclonline.com
or the GeForce 6800 GT currently priced 221 at chear.info.

The 6600GT is made by inno3D and the 6800GT is made by Asus.

All I want to use it for at the moment is Half Life 2 at relatively high
settings.

Please help me decide. I will be using it along side at least 1Gb of RAM and
an Athlon 64 3500.

One other thing, at the moment, I have a GeForce3 Ti 200. How seriously will
either of the two Geforces above kick the hell out of my current card?

deimos
October 23rd 05, 10:12 PM
Midnight Moocher wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just got myself an Asus SLI board. At the moment, I can't afford two
> cards for it.

You and most of us.

> I'm considering either the GeForce 6600GT currently priced 110.07 at
> cclonline.com
> or the GeForce 6800 GT currently priced 221 at chear.info.
>
> The 6600GT is made by inno3D and the 6800GT is made by Asus.
>
> All I want to use it for at the moment is Half Life 2 at relatively high
> settings.
>
> Please help me decide. I will be using it along side at least 1Gb of RAM and
> an Athlon 64 3500.
>
> One other thing, at the moment, I have a GeForce3 Ti 200. How seriously will
> either of the two Geforces above kick the hell out of my current card?

Get the single 6800GT for now. SLI 6600GT's have not proven to be a
tremendous value in comparison to say a 6800GT/Ultra. Later when newer
7800's come out and GF6 prices go down even more, you can pick up the
other one.

Since you're seriously considering SLI, don't skimp. The main advantage
of SLI is not that you get more performance for less, it's just pure
performance and you will pay for it. While the 6600GT is an excellent
card (I love mine!), for the time being a 6800GT will give equal or
greater performance than that of SLI 6600GT's. You should be able to
run max settings with say 4xAA/8xAF at maybe 1280 or 1600.

As for the TI200, yes even a single 6600GT is many many times more
powerful than your old faithful card.

KingOfHearts
October 23rd 05, 10:45 PM
"Midnight Moocher" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I've just got myself an Asus SLI board. At the moment, I can't afford two
> cards for it.
>
> I'm considering either the GeForce 6600GT currently priced 110.07 at
> cclonline.com
> or the GeForce 6800 GT currently priced 221 at chear.info.
> The 6600GT is made by inno3D and the 6800GT is made by Asus.
> All I want to use it for at the moment is Half Life 2 at relatively high
> settings.
>
> Please help me decide. I will be using it along side at least 1Gb of RAM
> and an Athlon 64 3500.
>
> One other thing, at the moment, I have a GeForce3 Ti 200. How seriously
> will either of the two Geforces above kick the hell out of my current
> card?

I have a MSI 6600GT PCI-E card and it kicks some serious ass...........I
play Half Life 2 on high settings, same thing with F.E.A.R.

Andy Jeffries
October 24th 05, 09:43 AM
KingOfHearts wrote:
> I have a MSI 6600GT PCI-E card and it kicks some serious ass...........I
> play Half Life 2 on high settings, same thing with F.E.A.R.

What res do you play FEAR at? I've got a 6800 GT and find I can't
really get it playable above 1024x768?

Cheers,

AJ

October 24th 05, 12:23 PM
Its funny that you wrote this, I was just going to do the same....
I have an ATI Radeon 9800 pro, and while I get between 40 and 70 fps <via
fraps> I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. My current system is an
athlon xp2500 with 1gb ddr400 and the radeon card. I was torn between
upgrading to 64 bit, or video card, so, I opted for a video card as alot of
software isn't developed for 64 bit yet, and, my 2500 runs fine at 2.13ghz.
However, I was also mistified as to all the different configurations of the
cards right now.....
Go with a 6600gt or ultra, or a 6800 stock, gt or ultra......
Get a 128mb card, or a 256....
Or, splurge and get a 6800 ultra with 256....
Well, "they" helped make up my mind because I couldn't find an agp 8x card
that had it all, and
well, I'm taking a gamble here, but I opted for a 256 6600 card from MSI <I
have their mobo in my system, an K7N2 Delta ILSR> And I figure I'll see what
this one does, and perhaps I can overclock it to a GT or ultra card and save
a few bucks
Yea yea yea, I know, athlon 64 with PCI-E or SLI is the way to go.... but,
when ya gotta find the best for the least with all the upgrades/changes and
modifications to the technology are thrown at you, you have to pick one, and
go with it.... "IF" I won the lottery and had the $$ to burn, hell yea, I'd
do a complete new rig athlon 64 fx57 a pair of 7800's and the works......
but for now, I gotta feel, see and go with baby steps....
my next step is the ASRock mobo that has both agp and PCI-E get a nice 3500
64 and go up from there......
Anyone have anything to say about the MSI 256 6600 card? Good card? I read
alot of the feedback on newegg and it was all good......

--
{SFU} Jackyl

MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR
Athlon XP2500