PDA

View Full Version : Grainy Graphics

Luther Gunter Jr.
October 23rd 05, 02:52 AM
I use Adobe Photo Deluxe on a Windows 98 machine with a STB nVIDIA TNT 16MB
video card. I have downloaded and replaced all new drivers to no avail.

The graphics in photographs I clean up are extremely grainy as if the
resolution setting was extremely low and have to set the screen area to 1280
by 1024 pixels to be able to work with it.

Can someone help me with suggestions to the problem?

Maybe suggest a graphics card appropriate for my machine which is a 450 Mhz
Pentium II.

Thanks

Robert Gault
October 23rd 05, 03:45 AM
Luther Gunter Jr. wrote:
> I use Adobe Photo Deluxe on a Windows 98 machine with a STB nVIDIA TNT 16MB
> video card. I have downloaded and replaced all new drivers to no avail.
>
> The graphics in photographs I clean up are extremely grainy as if the
> resolution setting was extremely low and have to set the screen area to 1280
> by 1024 pixels to be able to work with it.
>
> Can someone help me with suggestions to the problem?
>
> Maybe suggest a graphics card appropriate for my machine which is a 450 Mhz
> Pentium II.
>
> Thanks

It sounds as though the pictures are files in 32 bit mode and you are
cleaning them up in 16 bit or 256 color mode. Make sure your desktop is
set for 32 bit mode before you use the Adobe program.

Phil Weldon
October 23rd 05, 06:09 AM
'Luther Gunter Jr.' wrote, in part:
|I use Adobe Photo Deluxe on a Windows 98 machine with a STB nVIDIA TNT
16MB
| video card. I have downloaded and replaced all new drivers to no avail.
|
| The graphics in photographs I clean up are extremely grainy as if the
| resolution setting was extremely low and have to set the screen area to
1280
| by 1024 pixels to be able to work with it.
_____

Your question is sort of like pulling a loose thread and finding the entire
garment unravels.

Try giving more information.

What kind of file do you work with?
A jpeg file produced by a camera?
How many Megapixels is the camera rating?
How large is each image file in Megabytes?

What desktop display setting do you use? Is it set to the highest possible
color rendition (millions of colors - 24 bit or 32 bit?) What magnification
are you using to view the image? Have you tried fitting the image to the
display window in Adobe Photo Deluxe?

What do you mean by 'The graphics in photographs I clean up are extremely
grainy'? Do you mean that the printed results are grainy? Do you mean that
the image file when you first open it looks ok on the screen, but looks
grainy after you manipulate it? It is not clear from your post exactly what
problem you are having. Try downloading a jpeg image from the internet and
using Adobe Photo Deluxe on it. Do you get the same grainy results?

What are the specifications of the monitor you use for displaying the
images? Can it handle 1280 X 1024, or do you look at just a portion of the
image at a time?

I really don't think manipulating multiple Megapixel images is appropriate
for a 450 MHz Pentium II system, no matter what video card is used. How
much main memory does the system have? How much free hard drive space does
the system have?

It isn't possible to give suggestions without more information. It may be
that a freeware or shareware program that is much less demanding of a
computer system than Adobe Photo Deluxe might help performance, but for the
'graininess' probably has no connection with your video card.

Phil Weldon

"Luther Gunter Jr." > wrote in message
|I use Adobe Photo Deluxe on a Windows 98 machine with a STB nVIDIA TNT
16MB
| video card. I have downloaded and replaced all new drivers to no avail.
|
| The graphics in photographs I clean up are extremely grainy as if the
| resolution setting was extremely low and have to set the screen area to
1280
| by 1024 pixels to be able to work with it.
|
| Can someone help me with suggestions to the problem?
|
| Maybe suggest a graphics card appropriate for my machine which is a 450
Mhz
| Pentium II.
|
| Thanks

Luther Gunter Jr.
October 23rd 05, 03:05 PM
Your question is sort of like pulling a loose thread and finding the entire
garment unravels.

Try giving more information.

What kind of file do you work with? various formats, but mostly PDD and
JPEG.

A jpeg file produced by a camera? Scanners and cameras

How many Megapixels is the camera rating? Several cameras with the smallest
being 1Mb.

How large is each image file in Megabytes? some scans manipulated to 15 Mb
typically. The graininess applies to all

What desktop display setting do you use? 1024 x 768

Is it set to the highest possible color rendition (millions of colors - 24
bit or 32 bit?) 256 color

What magnification are you using to view the image? 100%

Have you tried fitting the image to the display window in Adobe Photo
Deluxe? Yes

What do you mean by 'The graphics in photographs I clean up are extremely
grainy'? Do you mean that the printed results are grainy? This is a video
issue

Do you mean that the image file when you first open it looks ok on the
screen, but looks grainy after you manipulate it? It is not clear from your
post exactly what problem you are having.

Try downloading a jpeg image from the internet and using Adobe Photo Deluxe
on it. Do you get the same grainy results? Yes

What are the specifications of the monitor you use for displaying the
images? Can it handle 1280 X 1024, or do you look at just a portion of the
image at a time?

It will support 1280 X 1024, however, this is not what I have been working
with for many years and I would like to restore my video to previous quality
of viewing. I haven't printed a photo since I observed this concern.

I really don't think manipulating multiple Megapixel images is appropriate
for a 450 MHz Pentium II system, no matter what video card is used. How
much main memory does the system have? 384 Mb RAM

How much free hard drive space does the system have? 8 Gb

It isn't possible to give suggestions without more information.

It may be that a freeware or shareware program that is much less demanding
of a computer system than Adobe Photo Deluxe might help performance, but for
the 'graininess' probably has no connection with your video card.

Phil Weldon

> "Luther Gunter Jr." > wrote in message
> |I use Adobe Photo Deluxe on a Windows 98 machine with a STB nVIDIA TNT
> 16MB
> | video card. I have downloaded and replaced all new drivers to no avail.
> |
> | The graphics in photographs I clean up are extremely grainy as if the
> | resolution setting was extremely low and have to set the screen area to
> 1280
> | by 1024 pixels to be able to work with it.
> |
> | Can someone help me with suggestions to the problem?
> |
> | Maybe suggest a graphics card appropriate for my machine which is a 450
> Mhz
> | Pentium II.
> |
> | Thanks

Phil Weldon
October 23rd 05, 05:55 PM
'Luther Gunter Jr.' wrote:
| 256 color
_____

For realistic photographic quality editing you need a setting of millions of
colors (24 bit or 32 bit); 256 colors just won't do at all. It's as if you
tried to use a box of crayons to repoduce a photo.

And please, if you have further questions, DO NOT intermix your replies with
no indication of which words are yours and which words you are responding
to, as you did in your latest post. Read other posts to get an idea of how
to use your Outlook Express 6.0 newsreader. I nearly ingnored your response
because it looked as if you just reposted my reply.

Phil Weldon

"Luther Gunter Jr." > wrote in message
| Your question is sort of like pulling a loose thread and finding the
entire
| garment unravels.
|
| Try giving more information.
|

| What kind of file do you work with? various formats, but mostly PDD and
| JPEG.
|
| A jpeg file produced by a camera? Scanners and cameras
|
| How many Megapixels is the camera rating? Several cameras with the
smallest
| being 1Mb.
|
| How large is each image file in Megabytes? some scans manipulated to 15 Mb
| typically. The graininess applies to all
|
| What desktop display setting do you use? 1024 x 768
|
| Is it set to the highest possible color rendition (millions of colors - 24
| bit or 32 bit?) 256 color
|
| What magnification are you using to view the image? 100%
|
| Have you tried fitting the image to the display window in Adobe Photo
| Deluxe? Yes
|
| What do you mean by 'The graphics in photographs I clean up are extremely
| grainy'? Do you mean that the printed results are grainy? This is a
video
| issue
|
| Do you mean that the image file when you first open it looks ok on the
| screen, but looks grainy after you manipulate it? It is not clear from
your
| post exactly what problem you are having.
|
| Try downloading a jpeg image from the internet and using Adobe Photo
Deluxe
| on it. Do you get the same grainy results? Yes
|
| What are the specifications of the monitor you use for displaying the
| images? Can it handle 1280 X 1024, or do you look at just a portion of
the
| image at a time?
|
| It will support 1280 X 1024, however, this is not what I have been working
| with for many years and I would like to restore my video to previous
quality
| of viewing. I haven't printed a photo since I observed this concern.
|
| I really don't think manipulating multiple Megapixel images is appropriate
| for a 450 MHz Pentium II system, no matter what video card is used. How
| much main memory does the system have? 384 Mb RAM
|
| How much free hard drive space does the system have? 8 Gb
|
| It isn't possible to give suggestions without more information.
|
| It may be that a freeware or shareware program that is much less demanding
| of a computer system than Adobe Photo Deluxe might help performance, but
for
| the 'graininess' probably has no connection with your video card.
|
| Phil Weldon
| >

| > "Luther Gunter Jr." > wrote in message
| > |I use Adobe Photo Deluxe on a Windows 98 machine with a STB nVIDIA TNT
| > 16MB
| > | video card. I have downloaded and replaced all new drivers to no
avail.
| > |
| > | The graphics in photographs I clean up are extremely grainy as if the
| > | resolution setting was extremely low and have to set the screen area
| > 1280
| > | by 1024 pixels to be able to work with it.
| > |
| > | Can someone help me with suggestions to the problem?
| > |
| > | Maybe suggest a graphics card appropriate for my machine which is a
450
| > Mhz
| > | Pentium II.
| > |
| > | Thanks
| > |
| > |
| > |

Sharanga Dayananda
October 23rd 05, 08:48 PM
Try setting yer colour depth on the desktop to 32 ( 16.77 million colours )
bit instead of 256 colours.

You can do this by right clicking yer wallpaper and selectig properties and
then the settings tab from there.