PDA

View Full Version : Is GeForce 6800 (128 MB) enough for the latest and upcoming games?

October 22nd 05, 07:37 AM
I have a dilemma. Right now, I am using an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (AIW; 128 MB). I have had for two
years. These days, the card cannot handle new games like Call of Duty 2, City of Villains,
F.E.A.R, etc. This is with 1152x864/1024x768 resolution with most/all graphic options enabled/at
maximum (no FSAA).

If I were to get a NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (128 MB; AGP 8x), will my system be able to handle this
graphic setup. I am not plannig to upgrade my CPU, motherboard (AGP only) and RAM until next
year or later than that. I am hoping this 6800 model will last that long before I have to
upgrade again.

You can see my primary/gaming sysstem specifications at:
http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt ... Thank you in advance. :)
--
"Is this stuff any good for ants?" "No, it kills them." --unknown
/\___/\
( )

deimos
October 22nd 05, 10:21 AM
wrote:
> I have a dilemma. Right now, I am using an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (AIW; 128 MB). I have had for two
> years. These days, the card cannot handle new games like Call of Duty 2, City of Villains,
> F.E.A.R, etc. This is with 1152x864/1024x768 resolution with most/all graphic options enabled/at
> maximum (no FSAA).
>
> If I were to get a NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (128 MB; AGP 8x), will my system be able to handle this
> graphic setup. I am not plannig to upgrade my CPU, motherboard (AGP only) and RAM until next
> year or later than that. I am hoping this 6800 model will last that long before I have to
> upgrade again.
>
> You can see my primary/gaming sysstem specifications at:
> http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt ... Thank you in advance. :)

Wow, that's the first time I've seen somebody list their system specs in
full paragraph form... but onto business...

First I think your system itself is more than adequate; a good Athlon 64
can handle those games easily. But I'm surprised that your ATI isn't
fairing better.

I'm running a XP2500 w/ a 6600GT and I can easily run CoD2 and FEAR at
max settings in 1024x768 and get a good framerate. Quake 4 runs like a
dream at a constant 60fps. And supposedly the 6600GT is just a bit
better than a 9800Pro, but maybe that's only in older games. In any
event I'm happy with it.

But I think it might be a shame to go with only a 6800 vanilla on your
system. I've seen many good deals on 6800GT's with rebates and
everything on Newegg lately. That should be way more than adequate any
new game.

Your future upgrade prospects include a 7800GT or maybe an unreleased
GS. They should come down in price within a year and be very
competetive. A faster Athlon 64 might not hurt either.

DaveW
October 23rd 05, 12:18 AM
You didn't say which motherboard you are using, but for longevity, if you
can swing it for those high end games I would recommend making the decision
I did and going for the next step up, which is the 6800 GT. It is clocked
faster and uses DDR3 RAM chips for the fastest memory around.

DaveW

----
> wrote in message
et...
>I have a dilemma. Right now, I am using an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (AIW; 128
>MB). I have had for two
> years. These days, the card cannot handle new games like Call of Duty 2,
> City of Villains,
> F.E.A.R, etc. This is with 1152x864/1024x768 resolution with most/all
> graphic options enabled/at
> maximum (no FSAA).
>
> If I were to get a NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (128 MB; AGP 8x), will my system be
> able to handle this
> graphic setup. I am not plannig to upgrade my CPU, motherboard (AGP only)
> and RAM until next
> year or later than that. I am hoping this 6800 model will last that long
> before I have to
> upgrade again.
>
> You can see my primary/gaming sysstem specifications at:
> http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt ... Thank you in
> advance. :)
> --
> "Is this stuff any good for ants?" "No, it kills them." --unknown
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
> | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
> \ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
> ( )

October 23rd 05, 03:08 AM
deimos > wrote:
> wrote:
> > I have a dilemma. Right now, I am using an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (AIW; 128 MB). I have had for two
> > years. These days, the card cannot handle new games like Call of Duty 2, City of Villains,
> > F.E.A.R, etc. This is with 1152x864/1024x768 resolution with most/all graphic options enabled/at
> > maximum (no FSAA).
> >
> > If I were to get a NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (128 MB; AGP 8x), will my system be able to handle this
> > graphic setup. I am not plannig to upgrade my CPU, motherboard (AGP only) and RAM until next
> > year or later than that. I am hoping this 6800 model will last that long before I have to
> > upgrade again.
> >
> > You can see my primary/gaming sysstem specifications at:
> > http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt ... Thank you in advance. :)

> Wow, that's the first time I've seen somebody list their system specs in
> full paragraph form... but onto business...

Yep, and I don't type that out. I saved it as a text file. ;) It is a hassle
to remember and type them out.

> First I think your system itself is more than adequate; a good Athlon 64
> can handle those games easily. But I'm surprised that your ATI isn't
> fairing better.

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro is old. I have had for over two years!

> I'm running a XP2500 w/ a 6600GT and I can easily run CoD2 and FEAR at
> max settings in 1024x768 and get a good framerate. Quake 4 runs like a
> dream at a constant 60fps. And supposedly the 6600GT is just a bit
> better than a 9800Pro, but maybe that's only in older games. In any
> event I'm happy with it.

Yeah old games. Not newer games! WoW is fine too.

> But I think it might be a shame to go with only a 6800 vanilla on your
> system. I've seen many good deals on 6800GT's with rebates and
> everything on Newegg lately. That should be way more than adequate any
> new game.

Yeah. :(

> Your future upgrade prospects include a 7800GT or maybe an unreleased
> GS. They should come down in price within a year and be very
> competetive. A faster Athlon 64 might not hurt either.

Exactly.
--
"Is this stuff any good for ants?" "No, it kills them." --unknown
/\___/\
( )

October 23rd 05, 03:09 AM
See the link in my original post. I listed my system specifications. ;) The
problem is lack of PCI Express slot. Heh.