PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new video card with a separate TV tuner... How does video out work?


October 18th 05, 02:58 PM
Hello.

Currently, I have been using an ATI Radeon 9800 AIW (128 MB) for over two years. Due to new and
upcoming games (City of Villains, Call of Duty 2), the video card cannot handle the graphic
demands since I like to turn graphic options on (e.g. 16x anisotropic, FSAA, 1152x864
resolution, etc.). So, it is time to research and retire it. I use the AIW and MMC to record and
watch TV shows a lot. Obviously, AIW has to go and I need to replace it. I usually watch TV
shows, DVDs, video clips, etc. fullscreen on my TV (video out).

I am thinking of getting a separate TV tuner card (HDTV perhaps). If I were to get a new video
card (no TV tuner) and a separate TV tuner, how would the TV out work? Does Windows driver let
me pick which card does the TV output for video fullscreen?

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"Is this stuff any good for ants?" "No, it kills them." --unknown
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
\ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
( )

deimos
October 18th 05, 06:25 PM
wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Currently, I have been using an ATI Radeon 9800 AIW (128 MB) for over two years. Due to new and
> upcoming games (City of Villains, Call of Duty 2), the video card cannot handle the graphic
> demands since I like to turn graphic options on (e.g. 16x anisotropic, FSAA, 1152x864
> resolution, etc.). So, it is time to research and retire it. I use the AIW and MMC to record and
> watch TV shows a lot. Obviously, AIW has to go and I need to replace it. I usually watch TV
> shows, DVDs, video clips, etc. fullscreen on my TV (video out).
>
> I am thinking of getting a separate TV tuner card (HDTV perhaps). If I were to get a new video
> card (no TV tuner) and a separate TV tuner, how would the TV out work? Does Windows driver let
> me pick which card does the TV output for video fullscreen?
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

TV tuner cards are capture cards only. Your video card still outputs
all overlays. Even if you're playing back a live capture, it still
outputs via a hardware overlay on your video card.

Conor
October 18th 05, 08:33 PM
In article >, says...
> Hello.
>
> Currently, I have been using an ATI Radeon 9800 AIW (128 MB) for over two years. Due to new and
> upcoming games (City of Villains, Call of Duty 2), the video card cannot handle the graphic
> demands since I like to turn graphic options on (e.g. 16x anisotropic, FSAA, 1152x864
> resolution, etc.). So, it is time to research and retire it. I use the AIW and MMC to record and
> watch TV shows a lot. Obviously, AIW has to go and I need to replace it. I usually watch TV
> shows, DVDs, video clips, etc. fullscreen on my TV (video out).
>
> I am thinking of getting a separate TV tuner card (HDTV perhaps). If I were to get a new video
> card (no TV tuner) and a separate TV tuner, how would the TV out work? Does Windows driver let
> me pick which card does the TV output for video fullscreen?
>
Works exactly the same as you're doing with the AIW. TV on a PC is
overlayed, usually by a DirectX layer, over the desktop by the graphics
card.
--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.

October 18th 05, 11:29 PM
In alt.comp.periphs.videocards deimos > wrote:
> wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > Currently, I have been using an ATI Radeon 9800 AIW (128 MB) for over two years. Due to new and
> > upcoming games (City of Villains, Call of Duty 2), the video card cannot handle the graphic
> > demands since I like to turn graphic options on (e.g. 16x anisotropic, FSAA, 1152x864
> > resolution, etc.). So, it is time to research and retire it. I use the AIW and MMC to record and
> > watch TV shows a lot. Obviously, AIW has to go and I need to replace it. I usually watch TV
> > shows, DVDs, video clips, etc. fullscreen on my TV (video out).
> >
> > I am thinking of getting a separate TV tuner card (HDTV perhaps). If I were to get a new video
> > card (no TV tuner) and a separate TV tuner, how would the TV out work? Does Windows driver let
> > me pick which card does the TV output for video fullscreen?
> >
> > Thank you in advance. :)

> TV tuner cards are capture cards only. Your video card still outputs
> all overlays. Even if you're playing back a live capture, it still
> outputs via a hardware overlay on your video card.

Ah thank you for explaining that. I did not know that. It sounds like it
like having those old 3D cards connected to video cards like in the old
days.
--
"Is this stuff any good for ants?" "No, it kills them." --unknown
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
\ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
( )

Todd
October 21st 05, 04:23 AM
Something to keep in mind is that you want a strong video card to do the overlays of the
TV card's signal. It de-interlaces the original TV signal and changes it into progressive
scan before painting the program onto you monitor. This de-interlacing (which I think is
done by the video card's processing chip) requires a fair bit of muscle.

With my ATi TV Wonder Pro card I personally went from a Radeon 7200 64 MB video card to a
PCI-e Radeon X600 256 MB, and finally to my current X800GT with 256 MB of RAM. My final
configuration has NO problems with the transition to progressive scan. Typically you might
find a lot of "ragged edges" with interlacing still being evident on the edges of objects.
Especially on moving objects like cars or wheels.

Really annoying.

So don't skimp on your Radeon and try to get at least one of the variants of the X800
series. And pile on the RAM because the upcoming Windows Vista is video intensive. 256
megs is well worth the small additional investment.
--
Todd

October 22nd 05, 12:53 AM
In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia Todd > wrote:
> Something to keep in mind is that you want a strong video card to do the overlays of the
> TV card's signal. It de-interlaces the original TV signal and changes it into progressive
> scan before painting the program onto you monitor. This de-interlacing (which I think is
> done by the video card's processing chip) requires a fair bit of muscle.

> With my ATi TV Wonder Pro card I personally went from a Radeon 7200 64 MB video card to a
> PCI-e Radeon X600 256 MB, and finally to my current X800GT with 256 MB of RAM. My final
> configuration has NO problems with the transition to progressive scan. Typically you might
> find a lot of "ragged edges" with interlacing still being evident on the edges of objects.
> Especially on moving objects like cars or wheels.

> Really annoying.

> So don't skimp on your Radeon and try to get at least one of the variants of the X800
> series. And pile on the RAM because the upcoming Windows Vista is video intensive. 256
> megs is well worth the small additional investment.

I think by the time Vista comes out, I will be upgrading my video card
again. :)

I am planning to drop my ATI card and getting a NVIDIA card and non-ATI
HDTV tuner.
--
"Is this stuff any good for ants?" "No, it kills them." --unknown
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
\ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
( )

Todd
October 24th 05, 06:36 AM
Ohhh, there have been times when I wanted to just heave-ho all my ATi gear and start over
with NVIDIA. But the only thing NVIDIA has over ATi is the current upper hand in the
king-kong class of game cards. Even then, the latest from ATi seems to have recaptured
that crown.

But when it comes to HDTV add-in cards you are plowing mostly virgin prairie. It is the
peripheral things like TV scheduling to go with the card and a good multimedia software
program that clinch the deal. Don't know enough about that end of the TV card business to
offer sage advice.

So good luck!
--
Todd

October 25th 05, 01:58 AM
In alt.comp.periphs.videocards Todd > wrote:
> Ohhh, there have been times when I wanted to just heave-ho all my ATi gear and start over
> with NVIDIA. But the only thing NVIDIA has over ATi is the current upper hand in the
> king-kong class of game cards. Even then, the latest from ATi seems to have recaptured
> that crown.

> But when it comes to HDTV add-in cards you are plowing mostly virgin prairie. It is the
> peripheral things like TV scheduling to go with the card and a good multimedia software
> program that clinch the deal. Don't know enough about that end of the TV card business to
> offer sage advice.

> So good luck!

Thanks. Yeah, it is frustrating. I might have to get an ATI HDTV tuner. Argh!
--
"Number fourteen. The naughty bits of an ant." --Monty Python's Flying Circus
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
\ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
( )

Todd
October 25th 05, 07:32 AM
You know, the guys who will do it right in this HDTV add-in card business are the gang at
Matrox. All of their video gear and TV oriented cards are top quality. It might be
interesting to see what they have coming up.

Matrox tends to do things properly, right off the bat :)
--
Todd

October 25th 05, 11:52 PM
In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati Todd > wrote:
> You know, the guys who will do it right in this HDTV add-in card business are the gang at
> Matrox. All of their video gear and TV oriented cards are top quality. It might be
> interesting to see what they have coming up.

> Matrox tends to do things properly, right off the bat :)

That would be awesome. I owned a G400. Badarse card. Clear picture too.
Unfortunately games made me replace it. [sighs]
--
"Number fourteen. The naughty bits of an ant." --Monty Python's Flying Circus
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
\ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
( )