PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA GeForce 6800GT vs ATI X800XL

Anus O'Really
October 17th 05, 06:47 PM
I was thinking of getting a 256MB card with one of these chipsets. How do
they compare to one another? System's used mostly for gaming. Cheers.

dino
October 17th 05, 07:27 PM
here are some comparissons....only in the benchmark section

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041215/ati-02.html

Smart Feet
October 17th 05, 08:23 PM
Anus O'Really wrote:
> I was thinking of getting a 256MB card with one of these chipsets. How do
> they compare to one another? System's used mostly for gaming. Cheers.

Two tidbits:

1) The 6800 GT has Shader Model 3.0 support... the X800XL does not.
That hasn't been very important, but it will become more important as
time goes by (Age of Empires III is the latest game that is about to be
released that supports Shader Model 3.0)

2) If you decide on the 6800 GT, get this one (not necessarily from Best
Buy... just that model):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6684652&type=product&id=1083712392168

Anus O'Really
October 18th 05, 01:56 AM
"Smart Feet" > wrote in message
. ..
> Anus O'Really wrote:
> > I was thinking of getting a 256MB card with one of these chipsets. How
do
> > they compare to one another? System's used mostly for gaming. Cheers.
> >

> Two tidbits:
>
> 1) The 6800 GT has Shader Model 3.0 support... the X800XL does not.
> That hasn't been very important, but it will become more important as
> time goes by (Age of Empires III is the latest game that is about to be
> released that supports Shader Model 3.0)
>
> 2) If you decide on the 6800 GT, get this one (not necessarily from Best
> Buy... just that model):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6684652&type=product&id=1083712392168

I'd need a PCI Express version, I was thinking of this one:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=12055828598&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=85870

deimos
October 18th 05, 02:52 AM
Anus O'Really wrote:
> "Smart Feet" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>>Anus O'Really wrote:
>>
>>>I was thinking of getting a 256MB card with one of these chipsets. How
>
> do
>
>>>they compare to one another? System's used mostly for gaming. Cheers.
>>>

>>Two tidbits:
>>
>>1) The 6800 GT has Shader Model 3.0 support... the X800XL does not.
>>That hasn't been very important, but it will become more important as
>>time goes by (Age of Empires III is the latest game that is about to be
>>released that supports Shader Model 3.0)
>>
>>2) If you decide on the 6800 GT, get this one (not necessarily from Best
>>Buy... just that model):
>>

> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6684652&type=product&id=1083712392168
>
> I'd need a PCI Express version, I was thinking of this one:
>
> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=12055828598&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=85870

I'm sure for the money, the 800XL is an OK card, but I'm much more
inclined to stick with NVIDIA based cards from good manufacturers (BFG,
XFX, Leadtek, etc). Overall I think both the feature set of the GF6 and
driver stability make it a much better card. The X800 seems more like a
heavily tweaked and overclocked 9800 than anything else and doesn't
offer much new.

Tom
October 18th 05, 03:14 AM
> I'm sure for the money, the 800XL is an OK card, but I'm much more
> inclined to stick with NVIDIA based cards from good manufacturers (BFG,
> XFX, Leadtek, etc). Overall I think both the feature set of the GF6 and
> driver stability make it a much better card. The X800 seems more like a
> heavily tweaked and overclocked 9800 than anything else and doesn't offer
> much new.

Here is a slightly more complete and recent review of PCI-Express video
cards.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050524/index.html

The only real difference feature-wise between the two is the shader model
3.0 support and from what I've seen the X800XL generally handles AA with a
bit less of a performance hit, while the NVIDIA does better with OpenGL
games and all other situations they aren't far apart - both having their
share of games they do slightly better in.

If you find equal prices, I'd probably go with the 6800GT, but if the price
difference is more then 50 bucks (as it once was) I'd go with the ATI card -
or try to find a newer generation NVIDIA card for a bit more money.

Tom

Dr. Richard Cranium
October 20th 05, 04:02 PM
a what ? 6800 ? no brainer ATI x800XL !
compare ? why ? just get the ATI x800XL

oops crossposted didn't you.

here.

okay so the 6800 exists so we ATI'ers can just run over, KO, dominate, crush
(no deposit no return) the NVIDIA's playing PVP servers in online games. So
uh.. maybe you want to purchase the 6800 ? okay. see you online.

hope this helps,

** No Fate **

cheers,
dracman
Tomb Raider: Shotgun City
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.com/childrenspajamas.htm

** Far Cry with Valerie as the Adventuress **
http://www.smokeypoint.org/farCry.htm

http://www.smokeypoint.org/traod/traod.html
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tombraider1/tombraider1pictures.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tombraider1/tombraider1midaspics.htm

http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.com/My_PC.htm

** Win2k and winXP hi-res with TR1
http://www.smokeypoint.com/glidos.htm

** Tomb Raider 1 add on UB levels
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb2.htm#Tova

-=-=-

** Final Fantasy Online mega ingame Pictures ! **
** for those whom wonder about "whats it like anyway huh"

http://www.smokeypoint.com/ffxionline/traod.html
http://www.smokeypoint.org/ffxionline/rikku/jibb/Jueno.html

-=-=-

** GTA III vice City Character MOD
http://www.smokeypoint.com/uzi.htm#gta3

** Far Cry with Valerie as the Adventuress **
http://www.smokeypoint.org/farCry.htm

** Singles: Flirt UP Your Life AI and character MOD
http://www.smokeypoint.com/childrenspajamas.htm#singles

** World of Warcraft Beta adventuring North to Ironforge. Dwarf Airport
Discovered
http://www.smokeypoint.org/wow/worldofwarcraft.html

** No Pili'kaia **