PDA

View Full Version : Would my system benefit from a GeForce 6600 GT or higher ?

October 7th 05, 10:54 PM
Hello,

My PC is as follows:

Asus A7V400-MX Motherboard
AMD Duron 1.8 Ghz
512 DDR RAM
WinXP
Geforce 5200

As you can see it's a rather "budget" system that I put together.
Unfortunately I can't really afford to put more in it other than a
better video card, with the budget of about 100 - 150 bucks. The
purpose is to be able to play the new Battlefield 2 Modern Combat. I
locally found a person who is selling the GeForce 6600 GT for $150,
still new in box. I have a chance to pick this up now and judging from
prices, it's a great deal. My only concern is whether or not the rest
of my system is capable. Again, I can't really overhaul my whole tower
but can only afford the vid card in question. Is it money wasted or
would I be ok ? Thank you.

Daniel

Daniel
October 8th 05, 12:17 AM
Forgot to mention my Maxtor 7200 RPM 80 Gig gard drive (2 mb cashe)

Andrew
October 8th 05, 12:24 AM
On 7 Oct 2005 14:54:11 -0700, wrote:

>As you can see it's a rather "budget" system that I put together.
>Unfortunately I can't really afford to put more in it other than a
>better video card, with the budget of about 100 - 150 bucks. The
>purpose is to be able to play the new Battlefield 2 Modern Combat. I
>locally found a person who is selling the GeForce 6600 GT for $150,
>still new in box. I have a chance to pick this up now and judging from
>prices, it's a great deal. My only concern is whether or not the rest
>of my system is capable. Again, I can't really overhaul my whole tower
>but can only afford the vid card in question. Is it money wasted or
>would I be ok ? Thank you.

I think it would be wasted money for BF2. I am not sure about the CPU
(I would guess it is borderline okay though), but you haven't got
nearly enough RAM to run BF2 at any decent graphical level. I have a
6600GT and had 768MB of RAM when BF2 the BF2 demo was released. I
upgraded to 1.5GB before the full game came out, and as I only have a
128MB card, I don't even run it at maximum texture detail!

DaveW
October 8th 05, 12:43 AM
It would help considerably, though you won't be playing on the highest
graphics settings obviously.

--
DaveW
__________

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hello,
>
> My PC is as follows:
>
> Asus A7V400-MX Motherboard
> AMD Duron 1.8 Ghz
> 512 DDR RAM
> WinXP
> Geforce 5200
>
> As you can see it's a rather "budget" system that I put together.
> Unfortunately I can't really afford to put more in it other than a
> better video card, with the budget of about 100 - 150 bucks. The
> purpose is to be able to play the new Battlefield 2 Modern Combat. I
> locally found a person who is selling the GeForce 6600 GT for $150,
> still new in box. I have a chance to pick this up now and judging from
> prices, it's a great deal. My only concern is whether or not the rest
> of my system is capable. Again, I can't really overhaul my whole tower
> but can only afford the vid card in question. Is it money wasted or
> would I be ok ? Thank you.
>
> Daniel

Daniel
October 8th 05, 12:46 AM
Alright, thank you very much.

It's too bad that the never games don't use the graphics engine as
Medal Of Honor Allied Assault 'cause I still play it in multiplayer,
set everything at maximum and find the graphics MUCH better than the
earlier Battlefield 1942 and Vietnam. But the "Medal" game relies on so
LITTLE resources from my computer that everything runs smooth. Maybe
it's a stupid question but why couldn't the BF2 game (and even the
earlier BF series) have been made with the MOHAA graphics engine ? More
people would play it then with their mid level PC's ...... Anyway,
thanks.--Daniel

Daniel
October 8th 05, 12:48 AM
DaveW wrote:
> It would help considerably, though you won't be playing on the highest
> graphics settings obviously.

So, what "upgrade" would it take for me to play it at near max or max
settings ? What is the bottleneck on my system ? Thanks again.

Daniel

Daniel
October 8th 05, 09:03 AM
Well, I got the card and although it is better than my previous one, it
"stutters" and freezes occassionally with the graphics on max and
medium on Battlefield Vietnam. The more going on, on the screen, the
worse it gets with the "freezing" ... Didn't even try BF2 as it needs
even more "power". Oh well, I guess I need a whole system overhaul ....

Thanks guys,

Daniel

deimos
October 8th 05, 10:10 AM
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My PC is as follows:
>
> Asus A7V400-MX Motherboard
> AMD Duron 1.8 Ghz
> 512 DDR RAM
> WinXP
> Geforce 5200
>
> As you can see it's a rather "budget" system that I put together.
> Unfortunately I can't really afford to put more in it other than a
> better video card, with the budget of about 100 - 150 bucks. The
> purpose is to be able to play the new Battlefield 2 Modern Combat. I
> locally found a person who is selling the GeForce 6600 GT for $150,
> still new in box. I have a chance to pick this up now and judging from
> prices, it's a great deal. My only concern is whether or not the rest
> of my system is capable. Again, I can't really overhaul my whole tower
> but can only afford the vid card in question. Is it money wasted or
> would I be ok ? Thank you.
>
> Daniel

A GT might be a tad wasted on a lower processor like that. A 6200 would
work very nice, but I've seen some really good deals on plain 6600's
too, just around the 100.00 USD mark. For reference, a 6600 is roughly
equivalent to a Radeon 9700Pro. Keep in mind that you can get 6600GT's
shipped for the same price as whoever you're buying it from too, in case
you want to choose a brand or such.

Homer S.
October 8th 05, 06:47 PM
On 8 Oct 2005 01:03:25 -0700, "Daniel" > wrote:

>Well, I got the card and although it is better than my previous one, it
>"stutters" and freezes occassionally with the graphics on max and
>medium on Battlefield Vietnam. The more going on, on the screen, the
>worse it gets with the "freezing" ... Didn't even try BF2 as it needs
>even more "power". Oh well, I guess I need a whole system overhaul ....
>
>Thanks guys,
>
>Daniel

Replace your CPU. The Duron is a dog.

Take a look at the ASUS website for Motherboard/CPU support:

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

(type in your mb model #)

It shows that your motherboard will support all the way up to a Sempron
3000+ CPU and/or an AthlonXP 3200+. You should be able to find either
CPU new (OEM version) for around $100 and you may be able to find
something on Ebay for even less. Good luck.

HS

Daniel
October 9th 05, 04:07 AM
WOW! Thanks so much! Yeah, it definitely looks like I can upgrade to
one of those "higher end" CPU's without overhauling everything! I
didn't know that the motherboard was so expandable! Thanks again very
much!!!!! Btw, I may also upgrade to 1 GIG of ram just for kicks ;))))

~Daniel

Daniel
October 9th 05, 04:10 AM
One follow up question: What do you think of the 2MB cache drive that I
have ? Would it make much difference with an 8MB cache ? Does it
justify the extra expense ? Thanks again.

Daniel

Andrew
October 9th 05, 08:00 AM
On 8 Oct 2005 20:10:25 -0700, "Daniel" > wrote:

>One follow up question: What do you think of the 2MB cache drive that I
>have ? Would it make much difference with an 8MB cache ? Does it
>justify the extra expense ? Thanks again.

That is the last thing you have to worry about on your system.

Andrew
October 9th 05, 08:03 AM
On 7 Oct 2005 16:46:03 -0700, "Daniel" > wrote:

>It's too bad that the never games don't use the graphics engine as
>Medal Of Honor Allied Assault 'cause I still play it in multiplayer,
>set everything at maximum and find the graphics MUCH better than the
>earlier Battlefield 1942 and Vietnam. But the "Medal" game relies on so
>LITTLE resources from my computer that everything runs smooth. Maybe
>it's a stupid question but why couldn't the BF2 game (and even the
>earlier BF series) have been made with the MOHAA graphics engine ? More
>people would play it then with their mid level PC's ...... Anyway,
>thanks.--Daniel

AFAIK, MOHAA is based on the antique Quake 3 engine that isn't
remotely close to being able to do what BF2 requires.

Homer S.
October 9th 05, 03:08 PM
On 8 Oct 2005 20:10:25 -0700, "Daniel" > wrote:

>One follow up question: What do you think of the 2MB cache drive that I
>have ? Would it make much difference with an 8MB cache ? Does it
>justify the extra expense ? Thanks again.
>
>Daniel

No. But if you upgrade to an SATA drive, then yes it would make a pretty
fair difference. Only problem is your motherboard doesn't support SATA.
However, there are SATA PCI add-on cards available. Only problem, a good
one can cost more than a whole new motherboard. Until you're ready for a
major upgrade, stick with the IDE drive you have now.

Cheers

RI Mike
October 9th 05, 05:45 PM

Daniel
October 12th 05, 09:16 AM
Thanks again guys.

~Daniel

whocares
October 13th 05, 11:49 PM
Yes!

On 12 Oct 2005 01:16:26 -0700, "Daniel" > wrote:

>Thanks again guys.
>
>~Daniel

KillzoneBigNunts
October 19th 05, 07:19 PM
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My PC is as follows:
>
> Asus A7V400-MX Motherboard
> AMD Duron 1.8 Ghz
> 512 DDR RAM
> WinXP
> Geforce 5200
>
> As you can see it's a rather "budget" system that I put together.
> Unfortunately I can't really afford to put more in it other than a
> better video card, with the budget of about 100 - 150 bucks. The
> purpose is to be able to play the new Battlefield 2 Modern Combat. I
> locally found a person who is selling the GeForce 6600 GT for $150,
> still new in box. I have a chance to pick this up now and judging from
> prices, it's a great deal. My only concern is whether or not the rest
> of my system is capable. Again, I can't really overhaul my whole tower
> but can only afford the vid card in question. Is it money wasted or
> would I be ok ? Thank you.
>
> Daniel

First, get rid of that craptastic motherboard.
I would not be surprised if the 6600GT has problems working correctly,
as will most OpenGL games simply because the chipset on that mobo is
****.

--

Daniel
October 21st 05, 01:57 AM
KillzoneBigNunts wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > My PC is as follows:
> >
> > Asus A7V400-MX Motherboard
> > AMD Duron 1.8 Ghz
> > 512 DDR RAM
> > WinXP
> > Geforce 5200
> >
> > As you can see it's a rather "budget" system that I put together.
> > Unfortunately I can't really afford to put more in it other than a
> > better video card, with the budget of about 100 - 150 bucks. The
> > purpose is to be able to play the new Battlefield 2 Modern Combat. I
> > locally found a person who is selling the GeForce 6600 GT for $150,
> > still new in box. I have a chance to pick this up now and judging from
> > prices, it's a great deal. My only concern is whether or not the rest
> > of my system is capable. Again, I can't really overhaul my whole tower
> > but can only afford the vid card in question. Is it money wasted or
> > would I be ok ? Thank you.
> >
> > Daniel
>
> First, get rid of that craptastic motherboard.
> I would not be surprised if the 6600GT has problems working correctly,
> as will most OpenGL games simply because the chipset on that mobo is
> ****.

Which motherboard would you recommend, for best price to performance
ratio ? Thanks.

~Daniel