PDA

View Full Version : HP says I can't use my new GeForce 6800 Card?

October 5th 05, 03:46 AM
I have a HP Pavilion I bought last March. I just upgraded my card to a
GeForce 6800 128mb AGP. I opened the case and discovered that my power
supply is only 250W, and the GeForce needs 300W minimum. I contacted HP
and they tell that I cannot upgrade my power supply because I could
damage some components, and that it is "unsafe" to use the GF 6800 in
this system.
Does this sound right to you??

HP Pavilion a810 model, Athlon 64 3300+

Augustus
October 5th 05, 04:02 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a HP Pavilion I bought last March. I just upgraded my card to a
> GeForce 6800 128mb AGP. I opened the case and discovered that my power
> supply is only 250W, and the GeForce needs 300W minimum. I contacted HP
> and they tell that I cannot upgrade my power supply because I could
> damage some components, and that it is "unsafe" to use the GF 6800 in
> this system.
> Does this sound right to you??

Does HP use a standard power supply? Or is it proprietary? If it's standard,
then by all means upgrade it. It won't damage anything. Odds are the quality
of the aftermarket PS will be far better than the HP factory one.

October 5th 05, 04:07 AM
How do you know if it's proprietary?

Chuck
October 5th 05, 04:18 AM
The physical size of the power supply and the area allotted for it is the
first clue. Next is how it mounts. Finally, the connectors and cable lengths
to the motherboard. Or, you might be able to just ask HP. There is also a
"standard" as to what voltages appear at what pins on the power
supply/motherboard connectors/plugs.

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> How do you know if it's proprietary?

October 5th 05, 04:48 AM
I really don't know much about this.

The current power supply is a HiPro model HP-D2537F3R.

250Watts

5-15/16" wide
4" deep
3-3/8" tall

>From what I can tell it is a common model.

BigJim
October 5th 05, 07:31 AM
search the net for an antec power supply look at the picture
if the hp doesn't look like the antec it is proprietary
> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I really don't know much about this.
>
> The current power supply is a HiPro model HP-D2537F3R.
>
> 250Watts
>
> 5-15/16" wide
> 4" deep
> 3-3/8" tall
>
>>From what I can tell it is a common model.

G-Dawg
October 5th 05, 11:24 AM
"BigJim" > wrote in message
> search the net for an antec power supply look at the picture
> if the hp doesn't look like the antec it is proprietary
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >I really don't know much about this.
> >
> > The current power supply is a HiPro model HP-D2537F3R.
> >
> > 250Watts
> >
> > 5-15/16" wide
> > 4" deep
> > 3-3/8" tall
> >
> >>From what I can tell it is a common model.

I have an HP Pavillion (a643n) in which I replaced my 250W with an Antec
400W. It' the smaller power supply, I think Micro AXT or something like
that... Go for it and enjoy!

G-Dawg
October 5th 05, 11:27 AM
"BigJim" > wrote in message
> search the net for an antec power supply look at the picture
> if the hp doesn't look like the antec it is proprietary
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >I really don't know much about this.
> >
> > The current power supply is a HiPro model HP-D2537F3R.
> >
> > 250Watts
> >
> > 5-15/16" wide
> > 4" deep
> > 3-3/8" tall
> >
> >>From what I can tell it is a common model.

P.S.- HP is the one who told me my Gig of RAM should be PC2700 and that my
system does not support PC3200... They were wrong (even though I went for
the PC2700 which was more expensive than the deal I could have gotten on the
3200 from Newegg.). I was talking with some boob on the other end of the
line. I don't think they new PC2700/PC3200 from a 2400 Baud modem...

There, I feel better now....

Benjamin Gawert
October 5th 05, 03:59 PM
schrieb:

> I have a HP Pavilion I bought last March. I just upgraded my card to a
> GeForce 6800 128mb AGP. I opened the case and discovered that my power
> supply is only 250W, and the GeForce needs 300W minimum. I contacted HP
> and they tell that I cannot upgrade my power supply because I could
> damage some components, and that it is "unsafe" to use the GF 6800 in
> this system.
> Does this sound right to you??

Yes (at least to some extend), but there are other things to consider...

First, Your Pavilion uses a generic PSU (it uses generic components in
all areas). Your Pavilions PSU has 250W. But this doesn't mean it won't
run a GF6800, because the Geforce doesn*t _need_ a 300W PSU. It's
however recommend by most card manufacturers since most standard PSUs
aren't very efficient. There are 250W PSUs that deliver more power than
a 350W el-cheapo power supply. What's more important than the Wattage
rating is how many amps your PSU can deliver on the single rails (12V,
5V, 3.3V etc)...

If I were you I'd put the card in the computer and ran a few gfx stress
tests (i.e. 3Dmark 2005 in loop mode). If the computer runs stable
everything is fine, if not just get a better PSU...

Benjamin

Leadfoot
October 5th 05, 04:15 PM
"Benjamin Gawert" > wrote in message
> schrieb:
>
>> I have a HP Pavilion I bought last March. I just upgraded my card to a
>> GeForce 6800 128mb AGP. I opened the case and discovered that my power
>> supply is only 250W, and the GeForce needs 300W minimum. I contacted HP
>> and they tell that I cannot upgrade my power supply because I could
>> damage some components, and that it is "unsafe" to use the GF 6800 in
>> this system.
>> Does this sound right to you??
>
> Yes (at least to some extend), but there are other things to consider...
>
> First, Your Pavilion uses a generic PSU (it uses generic components in all
> areas). Your Pavilions PSU has 250W. But this doesn't mean it won't run a
> GF6800, because the Geforce doesn*t _need_ a 300W PSU. It's however
> recommend by most card manufacturers since most standard PSUs aren't very
> efficient. There are 250W PSUs that deliver more power than a 350W
> el-cheapo power supply. What's more important than the Wattage rating is
> how many amps your PSU can deliver on the single rails (12V, 5V, 3.3V
> etc).

One very key factor is to verify the 20 pin motherboard plug is compatible
with a standard power supply

> If I were you I'd put the card in the computer and ran a few gfx stress
> tests (i.e. 3Dmark 2005 in loop mode). If the computer runs stable
> everything is fine, if not just get a better PSU...
>
> Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert
October 5th 05, 05:50 PM
Leadfoot schrieb:

[fullquote deleted]

> One very key factor is to verify the 20 pin motherboard plug is compatible
> with a standard power supply

Well, since Pavilions aren't really HPs but generic PCs that are
assembled by a subcontractor from generic parts and fitted with HP label
You can use generic parts to replace the PSU.

Benjamin

First of One
October 5th 05, 11:11 PM
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-vs-nv-power_10.html

The 6800 uses very little power, under 39W at full load. Run the card on
your current power supply. Most likely it'll work just fine. If you
experience boot problems or frequent crashes in games, only then upgrade
your power supply.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a HP Pavilion I bought last March. I just upgraded my card to a
> GeForce 6800 128mb AGP. I opened the case and discovered that my power
> supply is only 250W, and the GeForce needs 300W minimum. I contacted HP
> and they tell that I cannot upgrade my power supply because I could
> damage some components, and that it is "unsafe" to use the GF 6800 in
> this system.
> Does this sound right to you??
>
> HP Pavilion a810 model, Athlon 64 3300+

DaveW
October 6th 05, 12:06 AM
Absolutely right. You do NOT have a powerful PSU to drive that video card.
And HP computers do not use standard design power supplies, so you can't
upgrade it to a larger one.
Guess why I will not buy a branded name computer?...

--
DaveW
__________

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a HP Pavilion I bought last March. I just upgraded my card to a
> GeForce 6800 128mb AGP. I opened the case and discovered that my power
> supply is only 250W, and the GeForce needs 300W minimum. I contacted HP
> and they tell that I cannot upgrade my power supply because I could
> damage some components, and that it is "unsafe" to use the GF 6800 in
> this system.
> Does this sound right to you??
>
> HP Pavilion a810 model, Athlon 64 3300+

October 6th 05, 01:50 AM
You may be right Dave, but here's some info from
another recent thread on a different site:

> I have the a810n, It looks to have basically the same standard ATX case as your model, I upgraded the PSU in my computer with no problems at all. I am using a Fortron Ax500a standard atx 2.0 PSU currently in my computer. It fit in perfectly, As will most any standard ATX psu. I am using a 68gt in the computer and I sure didn't want to take a chance on the HiPRo 250watt PSU having enough juice to power it. ....... I see no reason that you can't upgrade your PSU

Larry Roberts
October 6th 05, 04:00 AM
On 4 Oct 2005 19:46:57 -0700, wrote:

>I have a HP Pavilion I bought last March. I just upgraded my card to a
>GeForce 6800 128mb AGP. I opened the case and discovered that my power
>supply is only 250W, and the GeForce needs 300W minimum. I contacted HP
>and they tell that I cannot upgrade my power supply because I could
>damage some components, and that it is "unsafe" to use the GF 6800 in
>this system.
>Does this sound right to you??
>
>HP Pavilion a810 model, Athlon 64 3300+

My brother's kids was given an old HP Pavilion (Celeron 700Mhz
era) by their grandmother a while back. All they do is chat with
friends, and surf the net, so it's perfect for them.
It was housed in a very small case with a weired looking PSU
(100W ATX). The PSU died, so I bought a mid-tower ATX case with a
standard 400W ATX PSU, and tranfered the componants to it. Works
great.
The case that HP uses may only fit their PSUs, but I'm willing
to bet that you could use a standard ATX case, and add a good PSU to
it, and just transfer the componants over if your up to the task.

OldFartJC
October 7th 05, 03:19 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a HP Pavilion I bought last March. I just upgraded my card to a
> GeForce 6800 128mb AGP. I opened the case and discovered that my power
> supply is only 250W, and the GeForce needs 300W minimum. I contacted HP
> and they tell that I cannot upgrade my power supply because I could
> damage some components, and that it is "unsafe" to use the GF 6800 in
> this system.
> Does this sound right to you??
>
> HP Pavilion a810 model, Athlon 64 3300+

I went to HP's site and it looks like a standard ATX power supply to me .
Just try the card first with your present supply like a couple of others
have mentioned and if it isn't strong enough then buy a new one. I see where
one person said he had the same computer as you and he upgraded with no
problem, so if you need to upgrade then buy a good supply on sale like an
Antec and go for it. A good 350 to 400 watt supply should be fine. Notice I
said a good power supply, not some cheapo one. Also who ever you spoke to at
HP is full of CRAP.

October 7th 05, 05:09 PM
I talked to HP chat again, got a different person and a whole diffenent
story.
Now they tell me that upgrading the power supply is no problem.....
Same company, different "tech" and a different story. Go figure...
Thanks, O.F. for looking it up for me.