PDA

View Full Version : is a 6600 ultra better than a low-end 6800?

kurt
October 2nd 05, 02:54 PM
can you help?

Ed Light
October 2nd 05, 07:57 PM
A 6600 is quite slower than a 6800. A 6600GT is catching up.

The 6800 would be better for high resolutions. It actually uses less power
than the 6600GT. But make sure you have room for it - it's pretty long.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Spidious
October 2nd 05, 09:17 PM
The BFG Tech BFGR6600GT Geforce 6600GT 128MB 128-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video
Card is about $198.00 on newegg.com
And it has the following specs...

Brand BFG Tech
Model BFGR6600GT
Chipset GPU Geforce 6600GT
Core clock 525MHz
PixelPipelines 8
Memory Clock 1050MHz
Memory Size 128MB
Memory Interface 128-bit
Memory Type GDDR3
3D API DirectX DirectX 9
OpenGL OpenGL 1.5
Interface Interface AGP 4X/8X
Ports DVI 2
TV-Out HDTV Out
VIVO No
General Tuner None
RAMDAC 400 MHz
Max Resolution [email protected]
SLI Supported No
Operating Systems Supported Windows 2000/XP
System Requirements Intel PentiumIII, AMD Duron or Athlon class processor or
higher
128MB of RAM
CD or DVD-ROM drive
35MB available hard disk space
(50MB for full installation)
A minimum 350W system power supply
Microsoft, 98 or higher, ME, 2000, XP, NT4.0 with service pack 5 or 6
An available AGP 2.0 slot
Features NVIDIA CineFX 3.0 Technology
Powers the next generation of cinematic realism. Full support for Microsoft
DirectX 9.0 Shader Model 3.0 enables stunning and complex special effects.
Next-generation shader architecture delivers faster and smoother gameplay.
64-Bit Texture Filtering and Blending
Based on the OpenEXR technology from Industrial Light and Magic, NVIDIA's
64-bit texture implementation sets new standards for image clarity and
quality through floating point capabilities in shading, filtering,
texturing, and blending.
NVIDIA UltraShadow II Technology
Enhances the performance of bleeding-edge games, like id Software's Doom
III, that feature complex scenes with multiple light sources and objects.
Second-generation technology delivers more than 4X the shadow processing
power over the previous generation.
Intellisample 3.0
The industry's fastest antialiasing delivers ultra-realistic visuals, with
no jagged edges, at lightning-fast speeds. Visual quality is taken to new
heights through a new rotated grid sampling pattern.
Vertex Shaders 3.0
Pixel Shaders 3.0

"Ed Light" > wrote in message
news:F4W%[email protected]
>A 6600 is quite slower than a 6800. A 6600GT is catching up.
>
> The 6800 would be better for high resolutions. It actually uses less power
> than the 6600GT. But make sure you have room for it - it's pretty long.
> --
> Ed Light
>
> Smiley :-/
> MS Smiley :-\
>
> Send spam to the FTC at
>
> Thanks, robots.
>
> Bring the Troops Home:
> http://bringthemhomenow.org
>
> Fight Spam:
> http://bluesecurity.com

kurt
October 3rd 05, 06:24 PM
Thank's guys :)
"Spidious" > wrote in message
news:gfX%[email protected]_s22...
> [...]
> III, that feature complex scenes with multiple light sources and objects.
> Second-generation technology delivers more than 4X the shadow processing
> power over the previous generation.
> Intellisample 3.0
> The industry's fastest antialiasing delivers ultra-realistic visuals, with
> no jagged edges, at lightning-fast speeds. Visual quality is taken to new
> heights through a new rotated grid sampling pattern.
> Vertex Shaders 3.0
> Pixel Shaders 3.0
>

> "Ed Light" > wrote in message
> news:F4W%[email protected]
> >A 6600 is quite slower than a 6800. A 6600GT is catching up.
> >
> > The 6800 would be better for high resolutions. It actually uses less
power
> > than the 6600GT. But make sure you have room for it - it's pretty long.

Brian Brunner
October 19th 05, 01:02 AM
Spidious wrote:
> The BFG Tech BFGR6600GT Geforce 6600GT 128MB 128-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video
> Card is about $198.00 on newegg.com
> And it has the following specs...

> Operating Systems Supported Windows 2000/XP

My Q rests on this point: I have a Dual-Boot system: Win98SE and Linux
(RHEL4.2). The Linux requirement pushes me towards nVidia, but the
Win98SE requirement pushes away from the 6600 & 6800 boards...

Does anybody here know of a good** video card supported under my two OS's?

**good: visual clarity of text is my biggest need, I'm 1/2 bat and 1/2
blind. I'm now using a Matrox Millennium G450. My gaming needs
currently don't go above DiabloII/LoD which is a 2D game that fakes 3D
with sprites.

I'd like to consider things in the 6800/6600 family, but the OS support
is essential.