PDA

View Full Version : NvidiaDVD


Carl
October 2nd 05, 03:02 AM
I was reading that this DVD player utilizes hardware on the graphics card to
decode. Does it and is it any good before I run out and buy it?

Ed Light
October 2nd 05, 03:58 AM
For me it improved the Windows Media Player DVD playback to about PowerDVD
level.


--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Carl
October 2nd 05, 07:59 AM
thanks, anyone else got an opinion?

Ed Light
October 2nd 05, 08:33 AM
> any good before I run out and buy it?

You can download the trial version.


--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Sharanga Dayananda
October 2nd 05, 03:24 PM
I've been using it since December. 'tis alright. The codecs are fussy and
the audio codecs don't work with anything other than WMP10 or MCE, producing
vanilla Pro Logic 1 for MPEG-2 clips and no sound for DVDs with other
players such as Zoom Player. However, when used with WMP10 everything works
fine.

The picture quality is excellent ( on par with PowerDVD and WinDVD ( which
can actually use the hardware features )) however, the current release
suffers from occasional micro-pauses in DVDs.

It really comes into its own with MPEG-2 HD tp/ts files which play back
flawlessly.

"Carl" > wrote in message
...
>I was reading that this DVD player utilizes hardware on the graphics card
>to decode. Does it and is it any good before I run out and buy it?
>

Carl
October 2nd 05, 07:07 PM
ta

Killa
October 2nd 05, 08:34 PM
Sharanga Dayananda wrote:
> I've been using it since December. 'tis alright. The codecs are fussy and
> the audio codecs don't work with anything other than WMP10 or MCE, producing
> vanilla Pro Logic 1 for MPEG-2 clips and no sound for DVDs with other
> players such as Zoom Player. However, when used with WMP10 everything works
> fine.
>
> The picture quality is excellent ( on par with PowerDVD and WinDVD ( which
> can actually use the hardware features )) however, the current release
> suffers from occasional micro-pauses in DVDs.

yeah me too, then I go into task manager or process explorer from
sysinternals and raise the priority to "high", which gets rid of them.


> It really comes into its own with MPEG-2 HD tp/ts files which play back
> flawlessly.
>
> "Carl" > wrote in message
> ...
>> I was reading that this DVD player utilizes hardware on the graphics card
>> to decode. Does it and is it any good before I run out and buy it?
>>
>
>

Ed Light
October 3rd 05, 11:26 PM
I must revise my statement.

Just got PowerDVD 6 OEM. Ran it stock - clarity was average. Enabled
hardware acceleration, "original" color profile. Much sharper. I think it's
using the nvDVD thingy.

The thing to do is try with and without the trial version installed.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Sharanga Dayananda
October 6th 05, 08:58 PM
With the 81.84 drivers, the freezing is virtually non-existent.


"Sharanga Dayananda" > wrote in message
...
> I've been using it since December. 'tis alright. The codecs are fussy and
> the audio codecs don't work with anything other than WMP10 or MCE,
> producing vanilla Pro Logic 1 for MPEG-2 clips and no sound for DVDs with
> other players such as Zoom Player. However, when used with WMP10
> everything works fine.
>
> The picture quality is excellent ( on par with PowerDVD and WinDVD ( which
> can actually use the hardware features )) however, the current release
> suffers from occasional micro-pauses in DVDs.
>
> It really comes into its own with MPEG-2 HD tp/ts files which play back
> flawlessly.
>
> "Carl" > wrote in message
> ...
>>I was reading that this DVD player utilizes hardware on the graphics card
>>to decode. Does it and is it any good before I run out and buy it?
>>
>
>