PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from a straight FX5900

Mr. Brian Allen
September 20th 05, 12:48 AM
Is a 6600GT much of an upgrade?

Phil Weldon
September 20th 05, 02:12 AM
The question you posted 'Is a 6600Gt much of an upgrade? It really helps a
lot to put the question (and all other information) in the body of the
message, not just leave it an orphan in the subject linke.

What to comparative reviews say (http://www.Tomshardware.com for example?)
What applications do you have now that need increased graphics performance?
What do the applications you want to get recommend, require?

Phil Weldon

"Mr. Brian Allen" > wrote in message
> Is a 6600GT much of an upgrade?

Mr. Brian Allen
September 20th 05, 02:21 AM
> The question you posted 'Is a 6600Gt much of an upgrade? It really helps
> a lot to put the question (and all other information) in the body of the
> message, not just leave it an orphan in the subject linke.

I have an AMD 64 3000+ right now, with 1 G of RAM. I'm looking for some
more beef out of BIA, Chaos Theory, and WOW. Looking at the info, it seems
like the 6600GT really kills the 5900 series, even with the 128mb series, so
the 256mb series should really be nice.

Phil Weldon
September 20th 05, 02:35 AM
The exact pages you want are at
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050705/index.html

The games you list are not in the comparisons, but you can see the range of
improvement for benchmarks and other games.

Phil Weldon

"Mr. Brian Allen" > wrote in message
>> The question you posted 'Is a 6600Gt much of an upgrade? It really helps
>> a lot to put the question (and all other information) in the body of the
>> message, not just leave it an orphan in the subject linke.
>
> I have an AMD 64 3000+ right now, with 1 G of RAM. I'm looking for some
> more beef out of BIA, Chaos Theory, and WOW. Looking at the info, it
> seems like the 6600GT really kills the 5900 series, even with the 128mb
> series, so the 256mb series should really be nice.

Mr. Brian Allen
September 20th 05, 02:42 AM
> The exact pages you want are at
> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050705/index.html
>
> The games you list are not in the comparisons, but you can see the range
> of improvement for benchmarks and other games.

Thanks. Pretty drastic difference there. It's doubling and sometimes
tripling the numbers.

Mr. Brian Allen
September 20th 05, 02:50 AM
> The exact pages you want are at
> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050705/index.html
>
> The games you list are not in the comparisons, but you can see the range
> of improvement for benchmarks and other games.

Now I'm looking at the regular 6800's. Better prices, but only 128 MB of
memory.

gimp
September 20th 05, 07:51 AM
Mr. Brian Allen wrote:
> I have an AMD 64 3000+ right now, with 1 G of RAM. I'm looking for some
> more beef out of BIA, Chaos Theory, and WOW. Looking at the info, it seems
> like the 6600GT really kills the 5900 series, even with the 128mb series, so
> the 256mb series should really be nice.

? the 256MB versions are often clocked slower than the 128MB, so i'd go
for 128MB. i own a 6600GT and feel that for games its good in medium res
only (1024x768 full settings, or 1280x1024 but only just, can't always
get good fps use full settings at that res depending on the game).

if you have the budget i'd seriously condsider something a bit more
lasting, like a 6800GT if money is an issue, if money is no issue then
the 7800GT kills them all.

Mr. Brian Allen
September 20th 05, 12:11 PM
> ? the 256MB versions are often clocked slower than the 128MB, so i'd go
> for 128MB.

See, I wondered about that. They did the same thing a few years back with
the TI4200. It makes no sense. I think I'm going to go with a regular
6800.