PDA

View Full Version : Best card for an AMD 2600+ with 1gb ram?

September 13th 05, 05:13 AM
Hi,

I am looking at getting a new video card for my AMD 2600+ with 1gb ram.
I don't want to get a card that is too powerful and hence my processor
will end up being the bottle neck.

Can someone recommend a card which will give me the maximum performance
with my current set up?

Thanks

Dragoncarer
September 13th 05, 05:32 AM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I am looking at getting a new video card for my AMD 2600+ with 1gb ram.
> I don't want to get a card that is too powerful and hence my processor
> will end up being the bottle neck.
>
> Can someone recommend a card which will give me the maximum performance
> with my current set up?
>
> Thanks

Yup. I used to have a 2600+ and an ATI 9600XT. They're only AUD100 nowadays,
and still pump out plenty of power. You can easily run Doom 3 and HL2 with
pretty good settings.

Since I got my new setup, I gave that card to my brother. He loves it. He
had an 9600SE and the difference, he says, along with 1GB RAM instead of
512, is major.

I'm also recommending the card to a friend of mine who wants good
performance at a low cost.

No, it's not nVidia, but it's a really good card.

September 13th 05, 05:48 AM
Dragoncarer wrote:
> Yup. I used to have a 2600+ and an ATI 9600XT. They're only AUD100 nowadays,
> and still pump out plenty of power. You can easily run Doom 3 and HL2 with
> pretty good settings.
>
> Since I got my new setup, I gave that card to my brother. He loves it. He
> had an 9600SE and the difference, he says, along with 1GB RAM instead of
> 512, is major.
>
> I'm also recommending the card to a friend of mine who wants good
> performance at a low cost.
>
> No, it's not nVidia, but it's a really good card.

I was thinking more along the lines of a 6600GT. They're about $260 for
a 256mb AGP version. Check out this site: http://au.pricespy.biz/

Do you think this chip will be too powerful for my computer and hence I
will not be able to get the maximum use of it?

Anthony
September 13th 05, 05:51 AM
The 2600 is still a powerful CPU anything like the 6800 should go good wtih
it

September 13th 05, 05:56 AM
Anthony wrote:
> The 2600 is still a powerful CPU anything like the 6800 should go good wtih
> it

So the 6600GT should be fine?

Anthony
September 13th 05, 06:38 AM
yup before I upgraded to an AMD 64 my processor was an AMD 2600 xp and it
loved my 6600 gt.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Anthony wrote:
>> The 2600 is still a powerful CPU anything like the 6800 should go good
>> wtih
>> it
>
> So the 6600GT should be fine?

Dragoncarer
September 13th 05, 10:35 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Dragoncarer wrote:
>> Yup. I used to have a 2600+ and an ATI 9600XT. They're only AUD100
>> nowadays,
>> and still pump out plenty of power. You can easily run Doom 3 and HL2
>> with
>> pretty good settings.
>>
>> Since I got my new setup, I gave that card to my brother. He loves it. He
>> had an 9600SE and the difference, he says, along with 1GB RAM instead of
>> 512, is major.
>>
>> I'm also recommending the card to a friend of mine who wants good
>> performance at a low cost.
>>
>> No, it's not nVidia, but it's a really good card.
>
> I was thinking more along the lines of a 6600GT. They're about $260 for
> a 256mb AGP version. Check out this site: http://au.pricespy.biz/
>
> Do you think this chip will be too powerful for my computer and hence I
> will not be able to get the maximum use of it?

.. . .

Even if it you become CPU or RAM bound, the video card will perform to the
best capabilities that it can.

A 6600GT will outperform a 9600XT; no matter what system you're running
(unless it's an extremely crappy system).

A 6600GT is a good card, apparently. If you can afford a 6600GT, definitely
buy a 6600GT.

I have a 7800GT, and an A'64 3700+ 1GB RAM. I know I'm bound for both RAM
and CPU. But the card still provides fantastic video quality - far better
than if I had have bought a 6800GT or a 6800Ultra. Even an Ultra would
probably still be bound by my CPU.

Buy the best card that you want to afford. Then, when you can afford it, and
if you want to, upgrade to a better CPU or more RAM etc.

Hamish
September 13th 05, 09:44 PM
On 12 Sep 2005 21:56:23 -0700, wrote:

>Anthony wrote:
>> The 2600 is still a powerful CPU anything like the 6800 should go good wtih
>> it
>
>So the 6600GT should be fine?

I got told my AMD XP2800+ would bottleneck on my 6600GT. I still
brought it anyway and low and behold i jumped from 20fps to 60fps in
WOW after increasing the rez all the way up and aswell as the
graphical settings ....
verry happy chap i am ,,, would have been kicking myself if i hadn't
:D

ardz
September 14th 05, 03:29 AM
"Dragoncarer" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Dragoncarer wrote:
> >> Yup. I used to have a 2600+ and an ATI 9600XT. They're only AUD100
> >> nowadays,
> >> and still pump out plenty of power. You can easily run Doom 3 and HL2
> >> with
> >> pretty good settings.
> >>
> >> Since I got my new setup, I gave that card to my brother. He loves it.
He
> >> had an 9600SE and the difference, he says, along with 1GB RAM instead
of
> >> 512, is major.
> >>
> >> I'm also recommending the card to a friend of mine who wants good
> >> performance at a low cost.
> >>
> >> No, it's not nVidia, but it's a really good card.
> >
> > I was thinking more along the lines of a 6600GT. They're about $260 for
> > a 256mb AGP version. Check out this site: http://au.pricespy.biz/
> >
> > Do you think this chip will be too powerful for my computer and hence I
> > will not be able to get the maximum use of it?
> >

> . . .
>
> Even if it you become CPU or RAM bound, the video card will perform to the
> best capabilities that it can.
>
> A 6600GT will outperform a 9600XT; no matter what system you're running
> (unless it's an extremely crappy system).
>
> A 6600GT is a good card, apparently. If you can afford a 6600GT,
definitely
> buy a 6600GT.
>

> I have a 7800GT, and an A'64 3700+ 1GB RAM. I know I'm bound for both RAM
> and CPU. But the card still provides fantastic video quality - far better
> than if I had have bought a 6800GT or a 6800Ultra. Even an Ultra would
> probably still be bound by my CPU.
>
> Buy the best card that you want to afford. Then, when you can afford it,
and
> if you want to, upgrade to a better CPU or more RAM etc.

I run a XP2600 CPU with 1.5 gig of ram and am quite happy with a Gigabyte
Radeon 9800Pro graphics card. Plays Doom3,HL2 etc beautifully. Looking at
upgrading to a 6800GT now that they are cheaper or an X850.

tod
September 14th 05, 04:49 AM
Nvidia 6600GT, they start around $130, after rebate.

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I am looking at getting a new video card for my AMD 2600+ with 1gb ram.
> I don't want to get a card that is too powerful and hence my processor
> will end up being the bottle neck.
>
> Can someone recommend a card which will give me the maximum performance
> with my current set up?
>
> Thanks

tod
September 14th 05, 04:50 AM
Yes, 6600GT
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Anthony wrote:
>> The 2600 is still a powerful CPU anything like the 6800 should go good
>> wtih
>> it
>
> So the 6600GT should be fine?

Dragoncarer
September 14th 05, 05:45 PM
"ardz" > wrote in message

> "Dragoncarer" > wrote in message
>>
>> > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

> He
> of

>> > I was thinking more along the lines of a 6600GT. They're about $260 for
>> > a 256mb AGP version. Check out this site: http://au.pricespy.biz/
>> >
>> > Do you think this chip will be too powerful for my computer and hence I
>> > will not be able to get the maximum use of it?
>> >

>> . . .
>>
>> Even if it you become CPU or RAM bound, the video card will perform to
>> the
>> best capabilities that it can.
>>
>> A 6600GT will outperform a 9600XT; no matter what system you're running
>> (unless it's an extremely crappy system).
>>
>> A 6600GT is a good card, apparently. If you can afford a 6600GT,
> definitely
>> buy a 6600GT.
>>

>> I have a 7800GT, and an A'64 3700+ 1GB RAM. I know I'm bound for both RAM
>> and CPU. But the card still provides fantastic video quality - far better
>> than if I had have bought a 6800GT or a 6800Ultra. Even an Ultra would
>> probably still be bound by my CPU.
>>
>> Buy the best card that you want to afford. Then, when you can afford it,
> and
>> if you want to, upgrade to a better CPU or more RAM etc.
>>

> I run a XP2600 CPU with 1.5 gig of ram and am quite happy with a Gigabyte
> Radeon 9800Pro graphics card. Plays Doom3,HL2 etc beautifully. Looking at
> upgrading to a 6800GT now that they are cheaper or an X850.

In this instance...you say you are happy with your current card. Happy
enough to spend that money on a faster CPU? ;)

If you're satisfied with the graphics power you have, then think about
upgrading another component to the system. A faster CPU will make everything
run smoother - and it will definitely assist in games. You'll notice shorter
load times, less chunk chunk churnnnnnnn thinking, if you encode movies
(ie., for DVDs) or whatever, again there will be a great improvement.
While you will get better graphic performance with a better card, a 2600 is
still limited.
Just food for thought...