PDA

View Full Version : Connecting 6800 GT to a TV

Moo
September 9th 05, 07:18 PM
Hi!

I have a Xfx geforce 6800 GT with a standard S-video output, my TV is a
Toshiba as featured on this site:
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/hccreviews/Televisions/Toshiba/Toshiba28W93B.php?action=setwidth&NewSiteWidth=

I have managed to connect it successfully using this kit:
http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PCTOTV3.html?id=ZaYGtk9d

however I get a really crappy picture, it is very fuzzy and blurry. I know
that there are around a dozen different TV types to choose from under the
nvidia options and they give varying results however one of the PAL options
gives black and white with a perfect picture (aside from it being black &
white).

Now I was told that my TV would have to have an S-video compatible scart
socket for it to work in colour which as this picture shows,
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/hccreviews/Televisions/Toshiba/Toshiba28W93B_inputs.jpg
it does.

The site I purchased the scart kit from also offers an adaptor for putting
the s-video through the composite connection which is this item :
http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/AD006.html is that what I need?

Don't fancy watching everything in B&W and don't fancy getting a headache
from the crappy picture in other modes!

Just for ref it is a PAL Tv in the Uk & the max res I could put it in for
B&W was 1024x768 but res wise it was great...

Any suggestions?!

Sharanga Dayananda
September 9th 05, 09:19 PM
There may be a way to get colour using the SCART block without anything else
or a TV wth a special connector.

Go to this option in yer TV out settings (Device Settings for yer TV set
under the nView tab of the nVidia display properties applet and click on
"Advanced"):

http://sparrowhawk.no-ip.info/Downloads/image001.JPG

From here, select the "composite video out" output mode even though you've
connected through S-Video:

http://sparrowhawk.no-ip.info/Downloads/image002.JPG ( This sends a
composite signal over the S-Video output )

If this works you should get colour. On the GF6 cards this may also give you
a black screen ( usually on 6600 GTs, though it works on mine ).

If it doesn't, you'll proly need the plug adapter, though I suspect the the
above fix will give you a colour signal. Also make sure that you've selected
PAL/I, as this is what's used in the UK.

"Moo" > wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I have a Xfx geforce 6800 GT with a standard S-video output, my TV is a
> Toshiba as featured on this site:
> http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/hccreviews/Televisions/Toshiba/Toshiba28W93B.php?action=setwidth&NewSiteWidth=
>
> I have managed to connect it successfully using this kit:
> http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PCTOTV3.html?id=ZaYGtk9d
>
> however I get a really crappy picture, it is very fuzzy and blurry. I
> know
> that there are around a dozen different TV types to choose from under the
> nvidia options and they give varying results however one of the PAL
> options
> gives black and white with a perfect picture (aside from it being black &
> white).
>
> Now I was told that my TV would have to have an S-video compatible scart
> socket for it to work in colour which as this picture shows,
> http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/hccreviews/Televisions/Toshiba/Toshiba28W93B_inputs.jpg
> it does.
>
> The site I purchased the scart kit from also offers an adaptor for putting
> the s-video through the composite connection which is this item :
> http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/AD006.html is that what I need?
>
> Don't fancy watching everything in B&W and don't fancy getting a headache
> from the crappy picture in other modes!
>
> Just for ref it is a PAL Tv in the Uk & the max res I could put it in for
> B&W was 1024x768 but res wise it was great...
>
> Any suggestions?!

Phil Weldon
September 9th 05, 10:34 PM
S-Video is two signals; one signal is composite video WITHOUT color
information but WITH higher resolution luminance information. The other
signal is color information only. In an encoded video signal (NTSC, PAL, or
SECAM) the color information is phase modulated at a center frequency around
4 MHz (depending on the standard.) This limits the luminance resolution.
By separating the color and luminance, S-Video allows higher resolution
display. A simple connector with a few extra components can convert S-Video
back to ordinary composite video by just filtering out the higher frequency
from the S-Video composite signal and mixing in the encoded color signal.

Converting S-Video to composite video loses the higher resolution that the
two S-Video signals carry. Feeding just the composite signal from an
S-Video output into an S-Video input would result in what you see with the
higher resolution B&W image.

I think there must be something wrong with your cables, or you may be using
the wrong connector for S-Video. Are there any 5-pin circular connectors on
the back of your TV/Monitor?

Phil Weldon

"Moo" > wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I have a Xfx geforce 6800 GT with a standard S-video output, my TV is a
> Toshiba as featured on this site:
> http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/hccreviews/Televisions/Toshiba/Toshiba28W93B.php?action=setwidth&NewSiteWidth=
>
> I have managed to connect it successfully using this kit:
> http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PCTOTV3.html?id=ZaYGtk9d
>
> however I get a really crappy picture, it is very fuzzy and blurry. I
> know
> that there are around a dozen different TV types to choose from under the
> nvidia options and they give varying results however one of the PAL
> options
> gives black and white with a perfect picture (aside from it being black &
> white).
>
> Now I was told that my TV would have to have an S-video compatible scart
> socket for it to work in colour which as this picture shows,
> http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/hccreviews/Televisions/Toshiba/Toshiba28W93B_inputs.jpg
> it does.
>
> The site I purchased the scart kit from also offers an adaptor for putting
> the s-video through the composite connection which is this item :
> http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/AD006.html is that what I need?
>
> Don't fancy watching everything in B&W and don't fancy getting a headache
> from the crappy picture in other modes!
>
> Just for ref it is a PAL Tv in the Uk & the max res I could put it in for
> B&W was 1024x768 but res wise it was great...
>
> Any suggestions?!

Moo
September 10th 05, 12:06 AM
<snip>

Dude that was an excellent fix! Worked a treat! Thanks!

Sharanga Dayananda
September 10th 05, 12:13 AM
With nVidia cards, you can force a composite signal to be sent over the
S-Video plug, eliminating the need for a convertor, though on some ( but not
all ) of the newer 6 series cards it results in a black TV screen after a
momentary full colour image. On the older FX and GF4 Ti cards it worked a
treat though ( my previous post described how to do this from the nVidia
control panel).

You can force a composite signal over S-Video, over the luminance connector.

A significant number of SCART convertors don't properly convert the S-Video
input into SCART composite. These blocks generally have S-Video, composite,
and phono audio inputs. However, they don't tie the S-Video Luminance and
Chrominance connectors together, simply sending the luminance info only.

In particular:

" Are you getting black/white video only when using a SCART adapter? "

http://www.s-video.com/svideoscart.html ( they're recommended by ATi's for
S-video to composite adaptors )

"Phil Weldon" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> S-Video is two signals; one signal is composite video WITHOUT color
> information but WITH higher resolution luminance information. The other
> signal is color information only. In an encoded video signal (NTSC, PAL,
> or SECAM) the color information is phase modulated at a center frequency
> around 4 MHz (depending on the standard.) This limits the luminance
> resolution. By separating the color and luminance, S-Video allows higher
> resolution display. A simple connector with a few extra components can
> convert S-Video back to ordinary composite video by just filtering out the
> higher frequency from the S-Video composite signal and mixing in the
> encoded color signal.
>
> Converting S-Video to composite video loses the higher resolution that the
> two S-Video signals carry. Feeding just the composite signal from an
> S-Video output into an S-Video input would result in what you see with the
> higher resolution B&W image.
>
> I think there must be something wrong with your cables, or you may be
> using the wrong connector for S-Video. Are there any 5-pin circular
> connectors on the back of your TV/Monitor?
>
> Phil Weldon
>
> "Moo" > wrote in message
>> Hi!
>>
>> I have a Xfx geforce 6800 GT with a standard S-video output, my TV is a
>> Toshiba as featured on this site:
>> http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/hccreviews/Televisions/Toshiba/Toshiba28W93B.php?action=setwidth&NewSiteWidth=
>>
>> I have managed to connect it successfully using this kit:
>> http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PCTOTV3.html?id=ZaYGtk9d
>>
>> however I get a really crappy picture, it is very fuzzy and blurry. I
>> know
>> that there are around a dozen different TV types to choose from under the
>> nvidia options and they give varying results however one of the PAL
>> options
>> gives black and white with a perfect picture (aside from it being black &
>> white).
>>
>> Now I was told that my TV would have to have an S-video compatible scart
>> socket for it to work in colour which as this picture shows,
>> http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/hccreviews/Televisions/Toshiba/Toshiba28W93B_inputs.jpg
>> it does.
>>
>> The site I purchased the scart kit from also offers an adaptor for
>> putting
>> the s-video through the composite connection which is this item :
>> http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/AD006.html is that what I
>> need?
>>
>> Don't fancy watching everything in B&W and don't fancy getting a headache
>> from the crappy picture in other modes!
>>
>> Just for ref it is a PAL Tv in the Uk & the max res I could put it in for
>> B&W was 1024x768 but res wise it was great...
>>
>> Any suggestions?!

Phil Weldon
September 10th 05, 01:51 AM
'Sharanga Dayananda' wrote, in part:
| With nVidia cards, you can force a composite signal to be sent over the
| S-Video plug, eliminating the need for a convertor, though on some ( but
not
| all ) of the newer 6 series cards it results in a black TV screen after a
| momentary full colour image.
_____

Thanks for posting the information.
It makes a lot of sense to have this very simple ability built into the
video card. You'd think that the ability would be part of the D-to-A, and
would be equally available, irrespective of the GPU.

Phil Weldon