PDA

View Full Version : 6800 BIOSES

RJAG
September 8th 05, 10:19 PM
I have a leadtek a400 TDH and was checking out a few drivers etc. They have
a BIOS for my card that dated 10/27/2004 but my card has a BIOS version
5.40.02.12. Is this an update or not. would I gain anything for
overclocking or reliability.

TIA

rms
September 8th 05, 11:02 PM
Check this site, it has many nvidia / ati bioses
http://www.mvktech.net/

rms

John Lewis
September 8th 05, 11:05 PM
On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 22:19:26 +0100, "RJAG"
> wrote:

>I have a leadtek a400 TDH and was checking out a few drivers etc. They have
>a BIOS for my card that dated 10/27/2004 but my card has a BIOS version
>5.40.02.12. Is this an update or not. would I gain anything for
>overclocking or reliability.
>
>TIA

I have had many generations of nVidia video cards, all overclocked at
one stage or another. Not once did I need ( or want ) to update the
BIOS. The very best way I know of turning a perfectly respectable
video card into a most expensive door-stop.

John Lewis

Conor
September 8th 05, 11:15 PM
In article >, RJAG says...
> I have a leadtek a400 TDH and was checking out a few drivers etc. They have
> a BIOS for my card that dated 10/27/2004 but my card has a BIOS version
> 5.40.02.12. Is this an update or not. would I gain anything for
> overclocking or reliability.

Not at all. Anyone who thinks they need to update a graphics card BIOS
is quite frankly a ****ing loon.

--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.

Neil J Bundy
September 9th 05, 01:33 AM
In message >, Conor
> writes
>In article >, RJAG says...
>> I have a leadtek a400 TDH and was checking out a few drivers etc. They have
>> a BIOS for my card that dated 10/27/2004 but my card has a BIOS version
>> 5.40.02.12. Is this an update or not. would I gain anything for
>> overclocking or reliability.
>>
>Not at all. Anyone who thinks they need to update a graphics card BIOS
>is quite frankly a ****ing loon.

A couple of years back there were some BIOS updates I installed, on both
GeForce 2 MX and GeForce 3 cards. I do not consider myself to be a loon.

I do however agree with you and RMS that it is NOT something a person
should try just for the hell of it though - as RMS said in another post
in this thread, it's an easy way to turn a graphics card into an
expensive doorstop.

Usually there's no good reason to do it, but "usually" <> "always"

FYI here's my experience of flashing graphics card BIOSes - I've only
ever tried flashing a card [1] after backing up the existing BIOS, and
[2] when it's really been a last ditch solution before going buying
something else

GF2MX.
My card was a relatively early model and had the original (effectively
version 1) BIOS, which was quite flaky especially in my Abit BE6 v1
motherboard. Upgrading the BIOS was a true bug-fix patch which stopped
my GF2MX from crashing completely, whereas many 3d games would last
20-30 mins then crash. ie it aided reliability.

GF3.
I flashed it as a Quadro and stuck the card in a PC as a CAD machine as
a temporary measure for a mate after his PC died - temporary but good
enough that he bought an extra stick of RAM & used the box for over a
year in the end.

Two cases in point that BIOS flashing does have its place, in the same
way as Motherboard BIOS flashing has its place.

It's not that people that do it are necessarily loons, but that far too
many loons do it (wrong) then wonder why things screw up :-)

Neil.

harrog8
September 12th 05, 08:51 PM
Using Winfox you can read the existing BIOS of your Graphics Card and find
out what date it is