PDA

View Full Version : Cannot use nVidia drivers for FX5200


September 5th 05, 11:19 AM
Having a Gainward FX5200 card in an XP PC with a A7V266-E motherboard.
Running VIA's latest 4in1 drivers. Problem is I cannot use nVidia
display drivers. Installing them, I get frequent long screen blackouts,
erratic mouse behavior and extreme sluggishness. I have even made a
clean XP install in the hope that it would help. It did not. The only
thing I can do to use the PC is uninstalling the nVidia drivers and
running with Windows' VGA drivers.

Any idea what might be wrong? Anyone seen behavior like this?

Sven

tod
September 5th 05, 04:11 PM
VIA recomends reloading their drivers, after loading other drivers (like
graphics card drivers).

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Having a Gainward FX5200 card in an XP PC with a A7V266-E motherboard.
> Running VIA's latest 4in1 drivers. Problem is I cannot use nVidia
> display drivers. Installing them, I get frequent long screen blackouts,
> erratic mouse behavior and extreme sluggishness. I have even made a
> clean XP install in the hope that it would help. It did not. The only
> thing I can do to use the PC is uninstalling the nVidia drivers and
> running with Windows' VGA drivers.
>
> Any idea what might be wrong? Anyone seen behavior like this?
>
> Sven
>

September 5th 05, 07:11 PM
Tried that; it didn't help.

Sven

Ed Light
September 5th 05, 07:54 PM
Did you try uninstalling the previous drivers first? That's what nvidia says
to do, but it's hidden at their site under tips.


--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

September 5th 05, 10:50 PM
I did uninstall the old drivers, first from Control Panel, then
cleaning up with Driver Cleaner.

Sven

First of One
September 5th 05, 11:51 PM
Is this a CRT, or an LCD panel connected through DVI? If it's the latter,
try connecting it through the VGA port for testing purposes.

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."


> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Having a Gainward FX5200 card in an XP PC with a A7V266-E motherboard.
> Running VIA's latest 4in1 drivers. Problem is I cannot use nVidia
> display drivers. Installing them, I get frequent long screen blackouts,
> erratic mouse behavior and extreme sluggishness. I have even made a
> clean XP install in the hope that it would help. It did not. The only
> thing I can do to use the PC is uninstalling the nVidia drivers and
> running with Windows' VGA drivers.
>
> Any idea what might be wrong? Anyone seen behavior like this?
>
> Sven
>

Bob Nevin
September 6th 05, 03:37 AM
On 5 Sep 2005 03:19:07 -0700, wrote:

> Having a Gainward FX5200 card in an XP PC with a A7V266-E motherboard.
> Running VIA's latest 4in1 drivers. Problem is I cannot use nVidia
> display drivers. Installing them, I get frequent long screen blackouts,
> erratic mouse behavior and extreme sluggishness. I have even made a
> clean XP install in the hope that it would help. It did not. The only
> thing I can do to use the PC is uninstalling the nVidia drivers and
> running with Windows' VGA drivers.
>
> Any idea what might be wrong? Anyone seen behavior like this?
>
> Sven

I have always understood that the Via AGP driver must be installed before
any video drivers.
--

Ed Light
September 6th 05, 07:08 AM
>
> I have always understood that the Via AGP driver must be installed before
> any video drivers.

Did you reboot after uninstalling the old drivers, before installing the
new?


--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

September 6th 05, 08:30 AM
Oh yes, I have thoroughly restarted after every install and/or
uninstall. I am beginning to suspect hardware failure. Are there parts
of display card or motherboard which are not used in VGA mode, but come
into play with the more advanced drivers?

Sven

First of One
September 8th 05, 04:44 AM
Nah, you can do it in any order. If you install the video drivers first, the
card will run in PCI mode until the AGP drivers are installed. Of course,
this is with a new M/B. For older M/Bs, the AGP driver included in WinXP
will work without any user interaction.

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."


"Bob Nevin" <[email protected] address.com> wrote in message
...
> I have always understood that the Via AGP driver must be installed before
> any video drivers.
> --
>