PDA

View Full Version : Fx5200 card only shows video in 16 colours


Martin
September 1st 05, 12:05 PM
I've installed a GeForce FX 5200 card in my PC and the installation went
fine, however, when I run any type of video clip (avi, mpeg, real,
Quicktime) in any player, the video looks washed out and appears to be
running in something like 16 colours. The normal screen display is fine in
either 16 or 32 bit.

I deleted the driver and rebooted the machine and tried running the video
with the default Mickytsoft driver and the video displayed fine, so its
something up either with the Nvidia driver or I'm missing something in the
settings.

Any help appreciated!!

Martin

Sune Storgaard
September 1st 05, 04:19 PM
Martin wrote:
> I've installed a GeForce FX 5200 card in my PC and the installation
> went fine, however, when I run any type of video clip (avi, mpeg,
> real, Quicktime) in any player, the video looks washed out and
> appears to be running in something like 16 colours. The normal screen
> display is fine in either 16 or 32 bit.

Well known bug, nvidia has fixed it in their latest driver. Download it
here:
http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

--
This episode is called: "an elephant ****s a pig".
But the networks had it changed to "an elephant makes love to a pig".
Which is kind of silly, because if an elephant was on top of the pig,
it wouldnt be making love to it, it would be ****ing it ! [Trey Parker]

Martin
September 1st 05, 11:58 PM
"Sune Storgaard" > wrote in message
...
> Martin wrote:
> > I've installed a GeForce FX 5200 card in my PC and the installation
> > went fine, however, when I run any type of video clip (avi, mpeg,
> > real, Quicktime) in any player, the video looks washed out and
> > appears to be running in something like 16 colours. The normal screen
> > display is fine in either 16 or 32 bit.
>
> Well known bug, nvidia has fixed it in their latest driver. Download it
> here:
> http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
>
> --
> This episode is called: "an elephant ****s a pig".
> But the networks had it changed to "an elephant makes love to a pig".
> Which is kind of silly, because if an elephant was on top of the pig,
> it wouldnt be making love to it, it would be ****ing it ! [Trey Parker]
>
>

Funnily enough, I actually found a post elsewhere saying that all the latest
drivers had this bug and that it was sorted by installing one of the older
drivers. Which I've done and now all is well.

****es you off though when these ****wits stick alphaware on their CD's
pretending it's proper software.

Thanks anyway

Martin

Sune Storgaard
September 2nd 05, 02:49 AM
Martin wrote:
> Funnily enough, I actually found a post elsewhere saying that all the
> latest drivers had this bug and that it was sorted by installing one
> of the older drivers. Which I've done and now all is well.

What driver version you actually got ?
Accoring to the changelogs, the problem was introduced in 77.72 (maybe
earlier) , and fixed in 77.76,and not present in 77.77 (latest official).

If its the overlay gamma problem you experience, i dont think you have the
very latest drivers. You mention a cd, how about fetching the latest from
the url i gave ? I have seen the problem on a pile of pc's, and upgrading to
77.76(or 77) did the job on all of them.

Try the temporary fix mentioned here:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=5754

If that does the trick, im 99% sure a very latest driver will too :)

--
This episode is called: "an elephant ****s a pig".
But the networks had it changed to "an elephant makes love to a pig".
Which is kind of silly, because if an elephant was on top of the pig,
it wouldnt be making love to it, it would be ****ing it ! [Trey Parker]