PDA

View Full Version : Inno3D 6800 Graphics Card

Davius
August 19th 05, 11:06 AM
Not so much a request for help, more a comment.

I have an Inno3D 6800 which has failed. Artefacts across the screen,
sometimes freezes in a checkerboard pattern when booting into XP. Sometimes
won't boot at all. PC fine with a Geforce FX5200, so it's definitely the
6800.

The card is precisely one year and one week old. Inno3D say (from their
email received this morning):

'We offer 1-year warranty. Please return your card to your dealer for
repair.'

So I guess it's shove an expensive graphics card in the bin and warn
everyone on the planet not to touch cards from Inno3D because of their
inexcusably poor warranty. Asus, Gigabyte, Peak, even companies like
XpertVision (who?) offer 2 or 3 year warranties on their cards.

Anyway, anyone know if there's a market out there for repairing graphics
cards? It'd make a crap doorstop as it's not heavy enough.

Davius

Andrew
August 19th 05, 11:12 AM
On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:06:26 +0000 (UTC), "Davius" >
wrote:

>So I guess it's shove an expensive graphics card in the bin and warn
>everyone on the planet not to touch cards from Inno3D because of their
>inexcusably poor warranty. Asus, Gigabyte, Peak, even companies like
>XpertVision (who?) offer 2 or 3 year warranties on their cards.

I have been pleased with the two Inno3D cards I have had. You neglect
to mention in your inane warning that the Inno3D cards are cheaper,
probably by not offering such long warrantees. A one year warranty is
not "inexcusably poor" for such a product, especially taking price
into consideration.

Davius
August 19th 05, 12:22 PM
And I was pleased with the card right up until the moment it failed.

And at that point, manufacturers are separated by their warranties and
support. A cheap price is no excuse for deficiencies in either.

In hindsight, 20.00 extra for an Asus equivalent with 3 year warranty would
have been 'cheaper', which is why I will no longer consider Inno3D.

> I have been pleased with the two Inno3D cards I have had. You neglect
> to mention in your inane warning that the Inno3D cards are cheaper,
> probably by not offering such long warrantees. A one year warranty is
> not "inexcusably poor" for such a product, especially taking price
> into consideration.

Tim
August 19th 05, 02:07 PM
Davius" > wrote in message
> Not so much a request for help, more a comment.
>
> I have an Inno3D 6800 which has failed. Artefacts across the screen,
> sometimes freezes in a checkerboard pattern when booting into XP.
> Sometimes
> won't boot at all. PC fine with a Geforce FX5200, so it's definitely the
> 6800.
>
> The card is precisely one year and one week old. Inno3D say (from their
> email received this morning):
>
> 'We offer 1-year warranty. Please return your card to your dealer for
> repair.'
>
> So I guess it's shove an expensive graphics card in the bin and warn
> everyone on the planet not to touch cards from Inno3D because of their
> inexcusably poor warranty. Asus, Gigabyte, Peak, even companies like
> XpertVision (who?) offer 2 or 3 year warranties on their cards.
>
> Anyway, anyone know if there's a market out there for repairing graphics
> cards? It'd make a crap doorstop as it's not heavy enough.

Did you overclock the card... at any point?

.... or never?

Tim

First of One
August 20th 05, 02:41 AM
This is a vanilla 6800? Did you have the disabled pipelines unlocked?

Also, it may be worthwhile to check the heat sink for proper contact. Remove
the heat sink, clean up the thermal grease with alcohol, and reapply.
Silicone grease can get flaky with time.

"Davius" > wrote in message
> Not so much a request for help, more a comment.
>
> I have an Inno3D 6800 which has failed. Artefacts across the screen,
> sometimes freezes in a checkerboard pattern when booting into XP.
> Sometimes
> won't boot at all. PC fine with a Geforce FX5200, so it's definitely the
> 6800.
>
> The card is precisely one year and one week old. Inno3D say (from their
> email received this morning):
>
> 'We offer 1-year warranty. Please return your card to your dealer for
> repair.'
>
> So I guess it's shove an expensive graphics card in the bin and warn
> everyone on the planet not to touch cards from Inno3D because of their
> inexcusably poor warranty. Asus, Gigabyte, Peak, even companies like
> XpertVision (who?) offer 2 or 3 year warranties on their cards.
>
> Anyway, anyone know if there's a market out there for repairing graphics
> cards? It'd make a crap doorstop as it's not heavy enough.
>
> Davius

Matt Wheeler
August 20th 05, 08:18 AM
Ever tried invoking an Asus warranty claim though!!! Forget it!

In fact a sensible response at all from their tech support is a major
achievement.

Words are cheap; I think it simply comes down to a case of bad luck
especially

as most early 6800 cards were branded reference cards that were actually
made

by Nvidia.

As suggested, try and reseat the HSF with some good thermal compound. The
vast

majority of GPU/CPU problems are heat related in some way.