PDA

View Full Version : Original Quake and GF fx 5900xt

Evil Uncle Chris
August 5th 05, 08:40 AM
Can anyone point me in the right direction to get Quake running via this
card.

Years ago it was easy with Voodoo cards, but I'm having trouble finding any
clear instructions, if indeed it is possible? I'd love to see it in a 1024
resolution.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Conor
August 5th 05, 09:25 AM
In article >, Evil Uncle Chris
says...
> Can anyone point me in the right direction to get Quake running via this
> card.
>
> Years ago it was easy with Voodoo cards, but I'm having trouble finding any
> clear instructions, if indeed it is possible? I'd love to see it in a 1024
> resolution.

Download and use GLQuake. You only need the wad files from the original
game.

--
Conor

jafar
August 5th 05, 10:43 AM
On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 09:25:45 +0100, Conor wrote:

> In article >, Evil Uncle Chris
> says...
>> Can anyone point me in the right direction to get Quake running via this
>> card.
>>
>> Years ago it was easy with Voodoo cards, but I'm having trouble finding any
>> clear instructions, if indeed it is possible? I'd love to see it in a 1024
>> resolution.
>>

> Download and use GLQuake. You only need the wad files from the original
> game.

With that nice card, you shouldn't go past tenebrae quake at
http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/

Q1 with Doom 3 style lighting and FX! :)

--
Jafar Calley
Producer - http://moonlife-records.com

Andrew
August 5th 05, 10:45 AM
On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 11:43:04 +0200, jafar > wrote:

>With that nice card, you shouldn't go past tenebrae quake at
>http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/
>
>Q1 with Doom 3 style lighting and FX! :)

And single digit framerates.

Thomas Kohl
August 5th 05, 12:30 PM
jafar schrieb:
> On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 09:25:45 +0100, Conor wrote:
>

>>In article >, Evil Uncle Chris
>>says...
>>
>>>Can anyone point me in the right direction to get Quake running via this
>>>card.
>>>
>>>Years ago it was easy with Voodoo cards, but I'm having trouble finding any
>>>clear instructions, if indeed it is possible? I'd love to see it in a 1024
>>>resolution.
>>>

>>Download and use GLQuake. You only need the wad files from the original
>>game.
>

> With that nice card, you shouldn't go past tenebrae quake at
> http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/
>
> Q1 with Doom 3 style lighting and FX! :)

Is there something similar with Quake 2 ???
I can't find my Q1 Disc but Q2 ist always at my side...good times back
then getting my first 3dfx card and drooling over filtered textures:-D

First of One
August 6th 05, 03:27 AM
It's actually not too bad on my 3200+ and Radeon 9800 Pro.

Quite remarkable going from 600 fps in GLQuake to 30 fps with the Tenebrae
mod, though. :-)

"Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> And single digit framerates.

First of One
August 6th 05, 03:29 AM
http://uk.geocities.com/symmetricdragon/

So far, only explosions are lighted (characters don't cast shadows).
Performance, though, is absolutely horrible. This mod has a long development
path ahead of it.

"Thomas Kohl" > wrote in message
>> Q1 with Doom 3 style lighting and FX! :)
>>
> Is there something similar with Quake 2 ???
> I can't find my Q1 Disc but Q2 ist always at my side...good times back
> then getting my first 3dfx card and drooling over filtered textures:-D

First of One
August 6th 05, 03:34 AM
Is this the original DOS Quake, or GLQuake? GLQuake should run as-is without
any problems. To get custom resolution and color depth, make a shortcut to
the GLQuake.exe and add the following command-line argument, as an example:

-width 1024 -bpp 32

"Evil Uncle Chris" > wrote in message
> Can anyone point me in the right direction to get Quake running via this
> card.
>
> Years ago it was easy with Voodoo cards, but I'm having trouble finding
> any clear instructions, if indeed it is possible? I'd love to see it in a
> 1024 resolution.
>

> Thanks in advance
>

> Chris

McGrandpa
August 6th 05, 07:57 AM
"jafar" > wrote in message

> On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 09:25:45 +0100, Conor wrote:
>
>> In article >, Evil Uncle
>> Chris says...
>>> Can anyone point me in the right direction to get Quake running via
>>> this card.
>>>
>>> Years ago it was easy with Voodoo cards, but I'm having trouble
>>> finding any clear instructions, if indeed it is possible? I'd love
>>> to see it in a 1024 resolution.
>>>

>> Download and use GLQuake. You only need the wad files from the
>> original game.
>
> With that nice card, you shouldn't go past tenebrae quake at
> http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/
>
> Q1 with Doom 3 style lighting and FX! :)

I have a number of runnable Quake installs right now; Tenebrae is good,
yes, but is it complete yet? I mean can you play through the entire
game with the new stuff now?

Also: [OT] I really dig your Mars image pages!!! It seems from a lot
of Opportunitys imagery there *must* have been lots of running water on
the surface at some time!

McG.

Evil Uncle Chris
August 6th 05, 02:39 PM
>>> Can anyone point me in the right direction to get Quake running via this
>>> card.
>>>
>>> Years ago it was easy with Voodoo cards, but I'm having trouble finding
>>> any
>>> clear instructions, if indeed it is possible? I'd love to see it in a
>>> 1024
>>> resolution.
>>>

>> Download and use GLQuake. You only need the wad files from the original
>> game.
>
> With that nice card, you shouldn't go past tenebrae quake at
> http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/
>
> Q1 with Doom 3 style lighting and FX! :)
>
> --
> Jafar Calley

Thanks for all the advice.

Downloaded Tenebrae and it looks and plays great with textures set to half.
Full textures does make it a wee but sluggish.

Thanks again for the guidance.

Chris