PDA

View Full Version : x700 vs 6600

Veritech
August 1st 05, 12:41 AM
Imagine this question comes up all the time, but which is better
stock vanilla x700 128MB or a Vanilla Geforce 6600.(PCI-E, not that it
really matters considering the cards)

There both around the same price, the 6600 got the SLI connection but
beyond that, its hard to see the differences. I'm leaning towards the
6600 cause maybe i can oc to a 6600GT, or at least a little bit closer
than stock :) But is the x700 a nicer card all around.

I'm putting together a system for a mate of mine, usual low cost gaming rig
Athlon 64 3000+(939)
512 DDR 400 Ram
ECS Nforce4-939

So what do you think folks?

DaveW
August 2nd 05, 12:21 AM
The 6600 will use MUCH stabler drivers!

--
DaveW

"Veritech" > wrote in message
> Imagine this question comes up all the time, but which is better
> stock vanilla x700 128MB or a Vanilla Geforce 6600.(PCI-E, not that it
> really matters considering the cards)
>
> There both around the same price, the 6600 got the SLI connection but
> beyond that, its hard to see the differences. I'm leaning towards the 6600
> cause maybe i can oc to a 6600GT, or at least a little bit closer than
> stock :) But is the x700 a nicer card all around.
>
> I'm putting together a system for a mate of mine, usual low cost gaming
> rig
> Athlon 64 3000+(939)
> 512 DDR 400 Ram
> ECS Nforce4-939
>
> So what do you think folks?

Bushy
August 2nd 05, 12:59 PM
any computer that is going to be playing games, or doing just about anything
really, needs a gig of ram minimum...in my book anyway

"DaveW" > wrote in message
> The 6600 will use MUCH stabler drivers!
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "Veritech" > wrote in message
>> Imagine this question comes up all the time, but which is better
>> stock vanilla x700 128MB or a Vanilla Geforce 6600.(PCI-E, not that it
>> really matters considering the cards)
>>
>> There both around the same price, the 6600 got the SLI connection but
>> beyond that, its hard to see the differences. I'm leaning towards the
>> 6600 cause maybe i can oc to a 6600GT, or at least a little bit closer
>> than stock :) But is the x700 a nicer card all around.
>>
>> I'm putting together a system for a mate of mine, usual low cost gaming
>> rig
>> Athlon 64 3000+(939)
>> 512 DDR 400 Ram
>> ECS Nforce4-939
>>
>> So what do you think folks?

Larry Roberts
August 2nd 05, 09:10 PM
On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 11:59:46 GMT, "Bushy"
> wrote:

>any computer that is going to be playing games, or doing just about anything
>really, needs a gig of ram minimum...in my book anyway

I just upgraded from 12MB to 1GB of PC3200 DDR, and nothing
has changed. Doom3, and HL2 scores stayed the same. Other games seem
to have no advantage. Maybe if I did lots of video editing, and other
workstation type tuff it might show, but for what I do.... Nota!
It seems my upgrade was cosmetic at best. Maybe when I move
these 2 512MB sticks over to my Athlon64 Duel Channel system, when
it's completed, it will benifit me.

Athlon XP 3000+ (VIA KT400 mainboard)
1GB (2x 512MB) PC3200 DDR
Chaintech 6600GT AGP
ESS 1938 Solo-1 PCI Soundcard
40GB Seagate ATA-100 HDD
16x16x8 DVDR/RW (48x24x48 CDR/RW) Lite-On SOHW 1693S
650W ChiefMax PSU

Stoneskin
August 5th 05, 02:21 PM
Larry Roberts left a note on my windscreen which said:

> I just upgraded from 12MB to 1GB of PC3200 DDR, and nothing
> has changed. Doom3, and HL2 scores stayed the same. Other games seem
> to have no advantage. Maybe if I did lots of video editing, and other
> workstation type tuff it might show, but for what I do.... Nota!
> It seems my upgrade was cosmetic at best. Maybe when I move
> these 2 512MB sticks over to my Athlon64 Duel Channel system, when
> it's completed, it will benifit me.

IME RAM tend to affect things like load times much more than just FPS.

In BF2 for example many people reported a stuttering when flying jets
because of texture load-in. Plus the map load times are very long.
Adding an additional 512MB RAM alleviates this to a noticeable degree.

Same goes for World of Warcraft when loading up areas high in player
activity - Ironforge auction house for example.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]

Veritech
August 5th 05, 08:35 PM
Stoneskin wrote:
> Larry Roberts left a note on my windscreen which said:
>

>> I just upgraded from 12MB to 1GB of PC3200 DDR, and nothing
>>has changed. Doom3, and HL2 scores stayed the same. Other games seem
>>to have no advantage. Maybe if I did lots of video editing, and other
>>workstation type tuff it might show, but for what I do.... Nota!
>> It seems my upgrade was cosmetic at best. Maybe when I move
>>these 2 512MB sticks over to my Athlon64 Duel Channel system, when
>>it's completed, it will benifit me.
>

> IME RAM tend to affect things like load times much more than just FPS.
>
> In BF2 for example many people reported a stuttering when flying jets
> because of texture load-in. Plus the map load times are very long.
> Adding an additional 512MB RAM alleviates this to a noticeable degree.
>
> Same goes for World of Warcraft when loading up areas high in player
> activity - Ironforge auction house for example.
a budget is a budget :(