PDA

View Full Version : grrrrr...6800GT 256MB PCI-Ex brands

Dragoncarer
July 26th 05, 08:55 AM
So I'm all set to buy a Leadtek (Winfast) 6800GT 256MB PCI-Ex. - but my
comp. store has none in stock. Who knows when they'll get more in.

Anywho, any other trusted brands out there you all could recommend? Or
brands to steer clear of?

The other card they have that is around the same price as the Leadtek is the
MSI. I have pretty much no knowledge about MSI - are they good? Trustworthy?
Pros and Cons about their cards?

Any help is much appreciated.

legacy_programmer
July 26th 05, 01:41 PM
I've been extremely pleased with all my MSI components. I think if you
do enough web browsing, you'll find MSI has a very good reputation.
They are good about putting out driver updates, and their components
are well made. I'm running MSI K8N neo4 Platinum SLI motherboard with
MSI 6600GT PCI-e graphics card. Both are well made and my system runs
great. The card even came with about 10 games in the bundle. They
also have an application you can run which will scan their website for
the latest driver and firmware updates, which makes keeping your system
up to date a snap.

Regards,
L P

--
legacy_programmer

Conor
July 26th 05, 02:00 PM
In article >, Dragoncarer says...
> So I'm all set to buy a Leadtek (Winfast) 6800GT 256MB PCI-Ex. - but my
> comp. store has none in stock. Who knows when they'll get more in.
>
> Anywho, any other trusted brands out there you all could recommend? Or
> brands to steer clear of?
>
> The other card they have that is around the same price as the Leadtek is the
> MSI. I have pretty much no knowledge about MSI - are they good? Trustworthy?
> Pros and Cons about their cards?

All cards are pretty much OK.

--
Conor

Scotter
July 26th 05, 03:44 PM
BFG has been very good for me last two cards.
--
Scotter

"Dragoncarer" > wrote in message
> So I'm all set to buy a Leadtek (Winfast) 6800GT 256MB PCI-Ex. - but my
> comp. store has none in stock. Who knows when they'll get more in.
>
> Anywho, any other trusted brands out there you all could recommend? Or
> brands to steer clear of?
>
> The other card they have that is around the same price as the Leadtek is
> the MSI. I have pretty much no knowledge about MSI - are they good?
> Trustworthy? Pros and Cons about their cards?
>
> Any help is much appreciated.

Dragoncarer
July 27th 05, 01:14 AM
"legacy_programmer" > wrote
in message . com...

> I've been extremely pleased with all my MSI components. I think if you
> do enough web browsing, you'll find MSI has a very good reputation.
> They are good about putting out driver updates, and their components
> are well made. I'm running MSI K8N neo4 Platinum SLI motherboard with
> MSI 6600GT PCI-e graphics card. Both are well made and my system runs
> great. The card even came with about 10 games in the bundle. They
> also have an application you can run which will scan their website for
> the latest driver and firmware updates, which makes keeping your system
> up to date a snap.
>
> Regards,
> L P

Thanks very much for your feedback - I've since done a bit of web research
and yeah, they seem to be a good brand. Thankyou!

> Dragoncarer Wrote:
>> So I'm all set to buy a Leadtek (Winfast) 6800GT 256MB PCI-Ex. - but my
>> comp. store has none in stock. Who knows when they'll get more in.
>>
>> Anywho, any other trusted brands out there you all could recommend? Or
>> brands to steer clear of?
>>
>> The other card they have that is around the same price as the Leadtek
>> is the
>> MSI. I have pretty much no knowledge about MSI - are they good?
>> Trustworthy?
>> Pros and Cons about their cards?
>>
>> Any help is much appreciated.
>

> --
> legacy_programmer

Dragoncarer
July 27th 05, 01:16 AM
"Conor" > wrote in message
t...
> In article >, Dragoncarer says...
>> So I'm all set to buy a Leadtek (Winfast) 6800GT 256MB PCI-Ex. - but my
>> comp. store has none in stock. Who knows when they'll get more in.
>>
>> Anywho, any other trusted brands out there you all could recommend? Or
>> brands to steer clear of?
>>
>> The other card they have that is around the same price as the Leadtek is
>> the
>> MSI. I have pretty much no knowledge about MSI - are they good?
>> Trustworthy?
>> Pros and Cons about their cards?
>>
> All cards are pretty much OK.

That's what I came to realise in my (misplaced) desperation last night! At
the end of the day, they're made to nVidia's minimum specs so they're going
to do the job. Hell, I currently have an 'HSI' 9600XT!! I've never heard of
this brand - and the card is still running fine, no real problems.
Thanks though!

> --
> Conor
>
> -You wanted an argument? Oh I'm sorry, but this is abuse. You want room
> K5, just along the corridor. Stupid git. (Monty Python)

Dragoncarer
July 27th 05, 01:16 AM
"Scotter" > wrote in message
> BFG has been very good for me last two cards.

They're selling the BFG version of the card I'm after for about AUD200 more!
So....yeah not for me.

> --
> Scotter
>
> "Dragoncarer" > wrote in message
>> So I'm all set to buy a Leadtek (Winfast) 6800GT 256MB PCI-Ex. - but my
>> comp. store has none in stock. Who knows when they'll get more in.
>>
>> Anywho, any other trusted brands out there you all could recommend? Or
>> brands to steer clear of?
>>
>> The other card they have that is around the same price as the Leadtek is
>> the MSI. I have pretty much no knowledge about MSI - are they good?
>> Trustworthy? Pros and Cons about their cards?
>>
>> Any help is much appreciated.

Scotter
July 27th 05, 06:52 AM
ouch!
I wonder if that is the OC version like I have. Overclocked out of the box.
Worth *some* money more but not $200!!!
--
Scott Swain

"Dragoncarer" > wrote in message

> "Scotter" > wrote in message
>> BFG has been very good for me last two cards.
>
> They're selling the BFG version of the card I'm after for about AUD200
> more! So....yeah not for me.
>
>> --
>> Scotter
>>
>> "Dragoncarer" > wrote in message
>>> So I'm all set to buy a Leadtek (Winfast) 6800GT 256MB PCI-Ex. - but my
>>> comp. store has none in stock. Who knows when they'll get more in.
>>>
>>> Anywho, any other trusted brands out there you all could recommend? Or
>>> brands to steer clear of?
>>>
>>> The other card they have that is around the same price as the Leadtek is
>>> the MSI. I have pretty much no knowledge about MSI - are they good?
>>> Trustworthy? Pros and Cons about their cards?
>>>
>>> Any help is much appreciated.

Dragoncarer
July 27th 05, 10:44 AM
"Scotter" > wrote in message
> ouch!
> I wonder if that is the OC version like I have. Overclocked out of the
> box. Worth *some* money more but not $200!!!
> --
> Scott Swain

Yeah I don't know what's going on. I have a feeling neither do they! They've
also got the Gigabyte model for AUD675, the Leadtek for AUD565 and the MSI
for AUD570.
Oh look, and now the BFG one isn't there at all...maybe I was dreaming it or
something. Or it was from a different site. Whatever. It was too expensive,
I know that for sure ;).

> "Dragoncarer" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Scotter" > wrote in message
>>> BFG has been very good for me last two cards.
>>
>> They're selling the BFG version of the card I'm after for about AUD200
>> more! So....yeah not for me.
>>
>>> --
>>> Scotter

Scotter
July 27th 05, 02:48 PM
I bet this chaos is due to having a bunch of those high end cards still on
the market but now also the 7800GTX's hitting...
So some stores have dropped the price of their 6800 series but others have
not yet.
--
Scott Swain