PDA

View Full Version : How long...

Stefano Ferrante
July 25th 05, 07:11 PM
....before a new release of the forceware drivers for winxp? (Not the already
available beta...)
I cannot stand the 77.72 version anymore. I reverted to the 71.89 hoping to
solve issues with Thief Deadly Shadows to no effort.

How long does it normally take before the beta testing expires and a new
verson is released?
Of course, a stable version :-)

I wouldn't go back any further for fear of other issues (for example the
next available backversion has issues with Star Wars Republic Commando, that
I own, of course :-(

Stefano

Tim
July 25th 05, 07:26 PM
"Stefano Ferrante" > wrote in message

> I cannot stand the 77.72 version anymore. I reverted to the 71.89 hoping
> to solve issues with Thief Deadly Shadows to no effort.

What issues do you have with Thief: Deadly Shadows?

Stefano Ferrante
July 25th 05, 08:14 PM
"Tim" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Stefano Ferrante" > wrote in message
>>
>> I cannot stand the 77.72 version anymore. I reverted to the 71.89 hoping
>> to solve issues with Thief Deadly Shadows to no effort.
>>

> What issues do you have with Thief: Deadly Shadows?

During gameplay my pc crashes and the screen goes blank; the monitors comes
up with an out of range warning, refresh rate too high (192 Hz) and the only
way to restart the computer is the reset button.
I opened the memory dump crash file and the result is always the same:
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Invalid system memory was referenced. Probably caused by : nv4_disp.dll

Or: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
OVERLAPPED_MODULE: Address regions for 'SAVRT' and 'kmixer.sys' overlap
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT
Probably caused by : nv4_disp.dll

The only solution is to wait for the new release of forceware, as the
release notes of the beta version mention this problem.

Stefano

Nikonja
July 25th 05, 11:09 PM
On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 21:14:02 +0200, Stefano Ferrante wrote:

> "Tim" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>
>> "Stefano Ferrante" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> I cannot stand the 77.72 version anymore. I reverted to the 71.89 hoping
>>> to solve issues with Thief Deadly Shadows to no effort.
>>>

>> What issues do you have with Thief: Deadly Shadows?
>
> During gameplay my pc crashes and the screen goes blank; the monitors comes
> up with an out of range warning, refresh rate too high (192 Hz) and the only
> way to restart the computer is the reset button.
> I opened the memory dump crash file and the result is always the same:
> PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
> Invalid system memory was referenced. Probably caused by : nv4_disp.dll
>
> Or: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
> OVERLAPPED_MODULE: Address regions for 'SAVRT' and 'kmixer.sys' overlap
> DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT
> Probably caused by : nv4_disp.dll
>
> The only solution is to wait for the new release of forceware, as the
> release notes of the beta version mention this problem.
>
> Stefano

There is a 77.76 beta and it's faaar better than 77.72 and triple buffering
is added also !

dawg
July 26th 05, 10:46 PM
It's doubtful if newer drivers will fix a problem with an old game.
Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and use older drivers. Happened
to me(and others) with FX cards and Gothic 2.

"Stefano Ferrante" > wrote in message
> ...before a new release of the forceware drivers for winxp? (Not the
already
> available beta...)
> I cannot stand the 77.72 version anymore. I reverted to the 71.89 hoping
> solve issues with Thief Deadly Shadows to no effort.
>
> How long does it normally take before the beta testing expires and a new
> verson is released?
> Of course, a stable version :-)
>
> I wouldn't go back any further for fear of other issues (for example the
> next available backversion has issues with Star Wars Republic Commando,
that
> I own, of course :-(
>
> Stefano

Neil Barras
July 27th 05, 02:48 PM
I've had problems with the new drivers on my XFX FX5500 256MB. When I
attempted to run Counter Strike Source and Half Life 2, I got an error
saying the graphics settings were not acceptable (Don't know what they were,
had to re-format drive, hence the game screwed over; and can't remember the
drivers I was previously on.) with even the "Default" settings which it
automatically tried being a no no. I then uninstalled the drivers and went
back to the ones that came on CD (60.85) and hey presto! I was gaming once
more!

Anyone know the best drivers for the 5500?

Cheers,

Neil

"dawg" <don't > wrote in message
> It's doubtful if newer drivers will fix a problem with an old game.
> Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and use older drivers. Happened
> to me(and others) with FX cards and Gothic 2.
>

> "Stefano Ferrante" > wrote in message
>> ...before a new release of the forceware drivers for winxp? (Not the
> already
>> available beta...)
>> I cannot stand the 77.72 version anymore. I reverted to the 71.89 hoping
>> solve issues with Thief Deadly Shadows to no effort.
>>
>> How long does it normally take before the beta testing expires and a new
>> verson is released?
>> Of course, a stable version :-)
>>
>> I wouldn't go back any further for fear of other issues (for example the
>> next available backversion has issues with Star Wars Republic Commando,
> that
>> I own, of course :-(
>>
>> Stefano

First of One
July 30th 05, 06:50 AM
How high did you set your AGP aperture in BIOS?

"Stefano Ferrante" > wrote in message
> ...before a new release of the forceware drivers for winxp? (Not the
> already available beta...)
> I cannot stand the 77.72 version anymore. I reverted to the 71.89 hoping
> to solve issues with Thief Deadly Shadows to no effort.
>
> How long does it normally take before the beta testing expires and a new
> verson is released?
> Of course, a stable version :-)
>
> I wouldn't go back any further for fear of other issues (for example the
> next available backversion has issues with Star Wars Republic Commando,
> that I own, of course :-(
>
> Stefano

Stefano Ferrante
July 30th 05, 09:34 AM
"First of One" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> How high did you set your AGP aperture in BIOS?
>

> "Stefano Ferrante" > wrote in message
>> ...before a new release of the forceware drivers for winxp? (Not the
>> already available beta...)

It's a PciX card, so I guess there shouldn't be anything agp related in the
bios.

Stefano