PDA

View Full Version : Best card for my mid ranged computer

Benny Johnson
July 19th 05, 09:18 AM
My computer:

Intel P4 2.6Ghz
1GB RAM (I'm not sure what type of RAM)
GeForce Ti4600

With some new games coming out soon, I'm upgrading my computer by purchasing a
newer graphic card.

Here are my current selections:

GeForce 5950
GeForce 6600GT
GeForce 6800
GeForce 6800GT or Ultra

Can anyone help me? It's confusing. I want something that won't be a BOTTLENECK
for my system, and most of the graphic card designers just tell you "it will be
fine..." but they don't really answer my question.

Regards.

Andrew
July 19th 05, 09:28 AM
On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 08:18:58 GMT, "Benny Johnson"
> wrote:

>Can anyone help me? It's confusing. I want something that won't be a BOTTLENECK
>for my system, and most of the graphic card designers just tell you "it will be
>fine..." but they don't really answer my question.

What do you want to run on it at what resolution/FSAA levels?

Benny Johnson
July 19th 05, 09:57 AM
I'm not a real hard core high resolution buff, I usually don't go higher than
1024x768, so that will be fine for me. The games I want to run will be coming
out in the near future, like the Halo, Gothic, Morrowind, Doom, Half life games,
all those. My Ti4600 chugs away with the older versions of these games, but I
can still play them on low resolutions. With the FSAA, I usually have it set for
max, but I can always turn it down a notch if I need to. I'm not trying to get a
picture perfect smooth game, just one where I don't have 10 frames per second or
anything.

I'm afraid that I'm going to get this card and everything else will be outdate,
like my bios, ram, everything. Do I have to consider all these things too?

Andrew
July 19th 05, 10:00 AM
On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 08:57:24 GMT, "Benny Johnson"
> wrote:

>I'm not a real hard core high resolution buff, I usually don't go higher than
>1024x768, so that will be fine for me. The games I want to run will be coming
>out in the near future, like the Halo, Gothic, Morrowind, Doom, Half life games,
>all those. My Ti4600 chugs away with the older versions of these games, but I
>can still play them on low resolutions. With the FSAA, I usually have it set for
>max, but I can always turn it down a notch if I need to. I'm not trying to get a
>picture perfect smooth game, just one where I don't have 10 frames per second or
>anything.

In that case, a 6600GT will be a good upgrade for you. I am happy with
mine.

Als
July 19th 05, 12:00 PM
"Benny Johnson" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I'm not a real hard core high resolution buff, I usually don't go higher
> than
> 1024x768, so that will be fine for me. The games I want to run will be
> coming
> out in the near future, like the Halo, Gothic, Morrowind, Doom, Half life
> games,
> all those. My Ti4600 chugs away with the older versions of these games,
> but I
> can still play them on low resolutions. With the FSAA, I usually have it
> set for
> max, but I can always turn it down a notch if I need to. I'm not trying to
> get a
> picture perfect smooth game, just one where I don't have 10 frames per
> second or
> anything.
>
> I'm afraid that I'm going to get this card and everything else will be
> outdate,
> like my bios, ram, everything. Do I have to consider all these things too?

I have essentially the same rig as yours. While I did get the 6600gt, for
the price now the 6800 would the best choice. Make sure you AGP port will
support it.

Alameda
July 19th 05, 02:10 PM
"Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 08:18:58 GMT, "Benny Johnson"
> > wrote:
>
>>Can anyone help me? It's confusing. I want something that won't be a
>>BOTTLENECK
>>for my system, and most of the graphic card designers just tell you "it
>>will be
>>fine..." but they don't really answer my question.
>
> What do you want to run on it at what resolution/FSAA levels?
> --

Hi, 6600GT will be an excellent choice for that system, those games, and
1024x768 resolution. I had one on my old pc (an old AMD 2400+) and it ran
all those games you mention at 1024x768 no problem at all. Doom 3 for
example, hit the magic 60fps ceiling effortlessly.

Benny Johnson
July 19th 05, 02:17 PM
Hi, thanks for the info.

By the way, are you suggesting the "6800 non-ultra" when you say get the 6800
since it's cheaper now?

Charlie
July 19th 05, 04:23 PM
Replaced my MX4000 with a 6600GT and what a difference. make sure your power
supply can handle at least 350W. New p/s's are cheap I got a 420W for $39 at
Tiger direct

--

Charlie

"Alameda" > wrote in message

> "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 08:18:58 GMT, "Benny Johnson"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Can anyone help me? It's confusing. I want something that won't be a
>>>BOTTLENECK
>>>for my system, and most of the graphic card designers just tell you "it
>>>will be
>>>fine..." but they don't really answer my question.
>>
>> What do you want to run on it at what resolution/FSAA levels?
>> --
>
> Hi, 6600GT will be an excellent choice for that system, those games, and
> 1024x768 resolution. I had one on my old pc (an old AMD 2400+) and it ran
> all those games you mention at 1024x768 no problem at all. Doom 3 for
> example, hit the magic 60fps ceiling effortlessly.

DaveL
July 19th 05, 04:31 PM
For resolutions up to 1280x1024 go with either the 6600GT or the 6800. Any
higher res you'll need a 6800GT or Ultra.

DaveL

"Benny Johnson" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hi, thanks for the info.
>
> By the way, are you suggesting the "6800 non-ultra" when you say get the
> 6800
> since it's cheaper now?

BigJim
July 19th 05, 04:49 PM
I was running a p4 2.4 and had a ti4200, I bumped the memory up to 1 gig and
added a 6600gt.
Big improvement.

"Benny Johnson" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> My computer:
>
> Intel P4 2.6Ghz
> 1GB RAM (I'm not sure what type of RAM)
> GeForce Ti4600
>
> With some new games coming out soon, I'm upgrading my computer by
> purchasing a
> newer graphic card.
>
> Here are my current selections:
>
> GeForce 5950
> GeForce 6600GT
> GeForce 6800
> GeForce 6800GT or Ultra
>
> Can anyone help me? It's confusing. I want something that won't be a
> BOTTLENECK
> for my system, and most of the graphic card designers just tell you "it
> will be
> fine..." but they don't really answer my question.
>
> Regards.

Benny Johnson
July 19th 05, 04:55 PM
Would my system be a bottleneck for the 6800 non-ultra?

It says here that the non-ultra is around $250 and the 6600GT is now around
$200. The 6800 non-ultra is at its best when you use FSAA it mentions against
the 6600GT.

DaveL
July 19th 05, 05:28 PM
"Benny Johnson" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Would my system be a bottleneck for the 6800 non-ultra?

No.

> It says here that the non-ultra is around $250 and the 6600GT is now
> around
> $200. The 6800 non-ultra is at its best when you use FSAA it mentions
> against
> the 6600GT.

If you are in the USA you should be able to easily get a 6600GT for about
$160 or the 6800 for about $190. And yes, the 6800 would be better for more
FSAA.

DaveL

Larry Roberts
July 19th 05, 07:40 PM
On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 08:18:58 GMT, "Benny Johnson"
> wrote:

>My computer:
>
>Intel P4 2.6Ghz
>1GB RAM (I'm not sure what type of RAM)
>GeForce Ti4600
>
>With some new games coming out soon, I'm upgrading my computer by purchasing a
>newer graphic card.
>
>Here are my current selections:
>
>GeForce 5950
>GeForce 6600GT
>GeForce 6800
>GeForce 6800GT or Ultra
>
>Can anyone help me? It's confusing. I want something that won't be a BOTTLENECK
>for my system, and most of the graphic card designers just tell you "it will be
>fine..." but they don't really answer my question.
>
>Regards.

No matter what system you have, the highest end card will
perform better than any of the others, but with a mid-range system,
the few extra FPS won't be worth the cost of a high-end card. If your
next system upgrade will be something like an Athlon 939 board with an
AGP slot, then I'd say get the best card for your system now, and just
move it to your upgraded system when you get it.
Anyhow, I'd suggest the 6600GT as it is the best bang for the
buck right now. Also... The card won't bottleneck the system, your
system would be the bottleneck for the card.

Larry Roberts
July 19th 05, 07:45 PM
On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:55:55 GMT, "Benny Johnson"
> wrote:

>Would my system be a bottleneck for the 6800 non-ultra?
>
>It says here that the non-ultra is around $250 and the 6600GT is now around
>$200. The 6800 non-ultra is at its best when you use FSAA it mentions against
>the 6600GT.

If your in the US, newegg.com has a PNY 6600GT AGP for $159.00
shipped.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814133137

DaveW
July 20th 05, 12:13 AM
With your 2.6 GHz CPU the best speed match from the cards that you've listed
is probably the FX 6600 GT. The 5950 is older technology and would seem
slow. The 6800 is actually clocked SLOWER than the 6600 GT and uses slower
video RAM. The 6800 GT would work well, but might be somewhat bottlenecked
by your CPU.
Hope this all helps :)

--
DaveW

"Benny Johnson" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> My computer:
>
> Intel P4 2.6Ghz
> 1GB RAM (I'm not sure what type of RAM)
> GeForce Ti4600
>
> With some new games coming out soon, I'm upgrading my computer by
> purchasing a
> newer graphic card.
>
> Here are my current selections:
>
> GeForce 5950
> GeForce 6600GT
> GeForce 6800
> GeForce 6800GT or Ultra
>
> Can anyone help me? It's confusing. I want something that won't be a
> BOTTLENECK
> for my system, and most of the graphic card designers just tell you "it
> will be
> fine..." but they don't really answer my question.
>
> Regards.

Scott
July 20th 05, 02:49 AM
> If you are in the USA you should be able to easily get a 6600GT for
> about $160 or the 6800 for about $190. And yes, the 6800 would be
> better for more FSAA.
>
> DaveL

If you can tell me where I can find a new, plain 6800 for $190 (other
than a pull from a Dell system) I would be most grateful!

-Scott

youth
July 20th 05, 05:14 AM
"Scott" > wrote in message ...
> > If you are in the USA you should be able to easily get a 6600GT for
> > about $160 or the 6800 for about $190. And yes, the 6800 would be
> > better for more FSAA.
> >
> > DaveL
>
> If you can tell me where I can find a new, plain 6800 for $190 (other
> than a pull from a Dell system) I would be most grateful!
>
> -Scott

Where everyone goes for gaming videocards these days -> www.newegg.com

g'day
youth

Benny Johnson
July 20th 05, 05:41 AM
Thank you for the info, by the way, here is my system is much more detail:

Northwood Intel P4, 2.6Ghz, 400Mhz FSB
1024 DDR SDRAM
845 chipset family (D845BGL motherboard model)
BIOS revision/update: December, 2004

I assume this means that the 2.6 is a 2.6a?

Anyway, I hope this will be good.

"DaveL" > wrote in message

"Benny Johnson" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Would my system be a bottleneck for the 6800 non-ultra?

No.

> It says here that the non-ultra is around $250 and the 6600GT is now
> around
> $200. The 6800 non-ultra is at its best when you use FSAA it mentions
> against
> the 6600GT.

If you are in the USA you should be able to easily get a 6600GT for about
$160 or the 6800 for about $190. And yes, the 6800 would be better for more
FSAA.

DaveL

Scott
July 20th 05, 12:49 PM

>>If you can tell me where I can find a new, plain 6800 for $190 (other
>>than a pull from a Dell system) I would be most grateful!
>>
>>-Scott
>>

> Where everyone goes for gaming videocards these days -> www.newegg.com
>

> g'day
> youth

I should have followed the thread more closely. Indeed, an AGP card can
be had for $190, but the PCI-E cards are more expensive.

Benny Johnson
July 20th 05, 05:05 PM
I talked to a BFG technical help support today and they said I could go up to
6800GT with my specs but not over without having more "beef" in the system.

Benny Johnson
July 20th 05, 05:05 PM
I talked to a BFG technical help support today and they said I could go up to
6800GT with my specs but not over without having more "beef" in the system.

Quaestor
July 20th 05, 08:11 PM
Scott wrote:

> I should have followed the thread more closely. Indeed, an AGP card
> can be had for $190, but the PCI-E cards are more expensive.

My 6600gt cost $189.

--
Godwin is a net-nazi