PDA

View Full Version : New card

Keith
July 16th 05, 03:53 AM
Can anyone recommend a decent card (PCI-express) for under $100? I game
every now and then but not too much.

Thanks so much,

Keith T.

Cuzman
July 16th 05, 06:34 PM
Keith wrote:

" Can anyone recommend a decent card (PCI-express) for under $100? I
game every now and then but not too much. "

I'd recommend raising your budget a small amount for a passively-cooled
Gigabyte GV-NX66128DP.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125176

Keith
July 16th 05, 07:14 PM
Thanks, I don't mind spending a little bit more if I gain performance.

Thanks again
"Cuzman" > wrote in message
> Keith wrote:
>
> " Can anyone recommend a decent card (PCI-express) for under $100? I game
> every now and then but not too much. "
>

> I'd recommend raising your budget a small amount for a passively-cooled
> Gigabyte GV-NX66128DP.
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125176

Rene
July 16th 05, 10:09 PM
"Cuzman" > schreef in bericht
> Keith wrote:
>
> " Can anyone recommend a decent card (PCI-express) for under $100? I game
> every now and then but not too much. "
>

> I'd recommend raising your budget a small amount for a passively-cooled
> Gigabyte GV-NX66128DP.
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125176

I fully agree with You, a good advice.

Greetings,
Rene

Keith
July 16th 05, 11:49 PM
Looks like they (Gigabyte) offers this same card in a 256 mem version. Would
the 256 version be that much better?
"Rene" > wrote in message
> "Cuzman" > schreef in bericht
>> Keith wrote:
>>
>> " Can anyone recommend a decent card (PCI-express) for under $100? I
>> game every now and then but not too much. "
>>

>> I'd recommend raising your budget a small amount for a passively-cooled
>> Gigabyte GV-NX66128DP.
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125176
>
> I fully agree with You, a good advice.
>
> Greetings,
> Rene

Cuzman
July 17th 05, 03:51 AM
Keith wrote:

" Looks like they (Gigabyte) offers this same card in a 256 mem
version. Would the 256 version be that much better? "

With identical GPUs, manufacturers tend to use faster chips on the cards
with less RAM. Most games won't find the need to utilise 256MB, so,
with 95% of games today, you'd get fractionally lower benchmarks with
the 256MB version.

However, given that it's only $12 extra at Newegg for the 256MB version,
it might well be a good investment. The 256MB version will be worth
twice as much as the 128MB one in a couple of years time.