PDA

View Full Version : GeForce 5700 Ultra -- Half Life 2 Problem

JC Morrice
July 13th 05, 08:41 PM
WinXP Pro SP2
DirectX 9.0c
NVIDIA 77.72 drivers

Dual PIII 1.4 GHz
Gigabyte GA-6VTXD Mobo
1 GB RAM
SCSI HD/CD set-up
Generic IDE DVD

No probs with anything else at all, but, HL2 insisted my previous video
drivers were out of date (they worked fine) and sent me for 77.72.

HL2 starts and then refuses to run saying your video card must be
capable of DirectX 7 at least, while all my diagnostics scream it's
9.0c....

I can't seem to get it to work at all having deleted/re-installed
drivers and whatever. Result- as above- must be DX7 and up. Grrrrr....
I hate those guys!

Any kind soul able to pass me a clue, please.

John

(What is this Steam **** business with its creepy phone home or I won't
let you install and play my game stuff. And I want to watch you on line
too!)

--
JC Morrice

deimos
July 14th 05, 08:07 AM
JC Morrice wrote:
> WinXP Pro SP2
> DirectX 9.0c
> NVIDIA 77.72 drivers
>
> Dual PIII 1.4 GHz
> Gigabyte GA-6VTXD Mobo
> 1 GB RAM
> SCSI HD/CD set-up
> Generic IDE DVD
>
> No probs with anything else at all, but, HL2 insisted my previous video
> drivers were out of date (they worked fine) and sent me for 77.72.
>
> HL2 starts and then refuses to run saying your video card must be
> capable of DirectX 7 at least, while all my diagnostics scream it's
> 9.0c....
>
> I can't seem to get it to work at all having deleted/re-installed
> drivers and whatever. Result- as above- must be DX7 and up. Grrrrr....
> I hate those guys!
>
> Any kind soul able to pass me a clue, please.
>
> John
>
> (What is this Steam **** business with its creepy phone home or I won't
> let you install and play my game stuff. And I want to watch you on line
> too!)

You've run into the BIG 77.72 bug.

For some reason, the default profiles include SLI entries for all the
games, even on FX cards and GF4's. This crashes the game (HL2, NFS2U,
etc). You need to remove it from the registry by hand, or get a profile
editor (http://www.nhancer.com) and remove the HL2 profile.

See any of my posts for the past couple weeks for more info.