PDA

View Full Version : BFG 7600 GS OC 512MB or BFG 6800 GS OC 256 MB?

October 16th 06, 07:51 PM
I want to buy a midrange AGP video card to keep my system going for
another 6 months before building a new machine. I'd like to get a card
that is $150 or under. Two good choices that I've found locally are
BFGTech cards. Specifically a GeForce 7600 GS OC with 512MB of RAM and
a GeForce 6800 GS OC with 256MB of RAM. From what I've gathered online
both seem similar in performance but I haven't managed to find any
direct comparisons of their performance and features. All things being
equal I would assume the 7600 would be better because it uses a newer
chip with newer feature support. Does anyone have experience with
these and can tell if one is faster than the other? Or does anyone
have any other sub-$150 AGP video cards to recommend?

alpha hen
October 22nd 06, 02:32 AM
wrote:
> I want to buy a midrange AGP video card to keep my system going for
> another 6 months before building a new machine. I'd like to get a card
> that is $150 or under. Two good choices that I've found locally are
> BFGTech cards. Specifically a GeForce 7600 GS OC with 512MB of RAM and
> a GeForce 6800 GS OC with 256MB of RAM. From what I've gathered online
> both seem similar in performance but I haven't managed to find any
> direct comparisons of their performance and features. All things being
> equal I would assume the 7600 would be better because it uses a newer
> chip with newer feature support. Does anyone have experience with
> these and can tell if one is faster than the other? Or does anyone
> have any other sub-$150 AGP video cards to recommend?

If you are truly building a new machine in six months or so I don;t know
how much it matters which one you get. I have just bought a Palit
Geforce 6800GS AGP which happily OCed to 520/1320. I also got the 256MB
card as I think 512mb in a mid range card is overkill.